Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Robert Garcia as a trainer

Do you see him as a great trainer? I think he's just decent.. I liked him much better as a fighter.. lot of the young fans today might not be too familiar but robert garcia was great boxer but lacked power and punch resistance.. he was a great technical fighter though and very fun to watch to those who love pure boxing..

Thoughts?

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Robert Garcia as a trainer

I view him the same. Good fighter. Good trainer

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He was a pretty good fighter, and he's a pretty good trainer. Other than Nacho beristain, I don't know if there are any more great trainers. Maybe they are extinct.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by greynotsoold View Post
    He was a pretty good fighter, and he's a pretty good trainer. Other than Nacho beristain, I don't know if there are any more great trainers. Maybe they are extinct.
    U think he's better than joe goosen?

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I like Goosen, admire him, because he brought fighters along from real early and did a good job. Gabe Ruelas had that bad injury, then killed Garcia and that set him back. But somehow Rafael became a worse fighter after he became champ. I think he does some good work, but I think that he hits a plateau, if that makes sense.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

To be honest, I don't think much of him; I don't remember any fighter that did improve significantly under his guidance and most of the advices he gives in the corner are most of the time pointless and turn around the lines of: "COME ON", "DO SOMETHING", "GO FIGHT". I remember Donaire vs Rigondaux, I've never seen someone as clueless as him in order to try to make a difference.

NAcho though, that's all another kind of a beast, one of the finest out there without the shadow of a doubt.
    Hidden Content
    That's the way it is, not the way it ends

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The greatest Mexican trainer next only to the ultra greatest, Nacho Beristain-Heredia.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

like many trainers, i feel that he has a specific style that he does well with. anything beyond that, he isnt anything special.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
    To be honest, I don't think much of him; I don't remember any fighter that did improve significantly under his guidance and most of the advices he gives in the corner are most of the time pointless and turn around the lines of: "COME ON", "DO SOMETHING", "GO FIGHT". I remember Donaire vs Rigondaux, I've never seen someone as clueless as him in order to try to make a difference.

NAcho though, that's all another kind of a beast, one of the finest out there without the shadow of a doubt.
    I don't think anyone could have helped Donaire during the fight against Rigo. Donaire overlooked Rigo, plus he had a bad training camp, which was his fault also.

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by beenKOed View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nameless View Post

I don't think anyone could have helped Donaire during the fight against Rigo. Donaire overlooked Rigo, plus he had a bad training camp, which was his fault also.
    Maybe he doesn't know how to teach guys to fight southpaws, specifically, of guys that won't stand there and let you hit them, in general.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Robert is a genuinely good person imo. He seem to like to have fun with his fighters esp. Brandon. I think he is a great training and has a great stable. I think he can be one of the greatest cause he is one of the youngest trainers out there. Garcia needs to watch out about being stretch thin though, it has happen to the greatest trainers too (Steward,Roach). Training too many fighters and then when they all start to lose they get blamed.

I don't know what the plan was with Brandon against Pac. Rios seem to be limited in skills, a trainer can only do so much. I think they were hoping Pac was no longer Pac to win the fight. They must of hope Pac would not stick and move and would just stand and trade all night. Not sure if Brandon would have a chance even if they just traded. Pac hand speed landed 2-3 for every 1 of Brandon.

With the Nonito-Rigo fight I only blame Garcia for not getting Nonito to focus aside from that I think Nonito is a bit of a wannabe rockstar and do his own shit. Nonito was having his first baby and felt he wanted to be with his wifey instead of in the gym. Nonito deserve that embarrassment not Garcia.

Going back to Garcia, like I said he is young himself and can def become one of the greatest cause already have an elite Nonito and great young fighters Mikey in his care. IMO Garcia just seem to be too nice and tolerate nonsense in his camp.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Julius Rain View Post
    Robert is a genuinely good person imo. He seem to like to have fun with his fighters esp. Brandon. I think he is a great training and has a great stable. I think he can be one of the greatest cause he is one of the youngest trainers out there. Garcia needs to watch out about being stretch thin though, it has happen to the greatest trainers too (Steward,Roach). Training too many fighters and then when they all start to lose they get blamed.

I don't know what the plan was with Brandon against Pac. Rios seem to be limited in skills, a trainer can only do so much. I think they were hoping Pac was no longer Pac to win the fight. They must of hope Pac would not stick and move and would just stand and trade all night. Not sure if Brandon would have a chance even if they just traded. Pac hand speed landed 2-3 for every 1 of Brandon.

With the Nonito-Rigo fight I only blame Garcia for not getting Nonito to focus aside from that I think Nonito is a bit of a wannabe rockstar and do his own shit. Nonito was having his first baby and felt he wanted to be with his wifey instead of in the gym. Nonito deserve that embarrassment not Garcia.

Going back to Garcia, like I said he is young himself and can def become one of the greatest cause already have an elite Nonito and great young fighters Mikey in his care. IMO Garcia just seem to be too nice and tolerate nonsense in his camp.
    the gameplan against pac seemed to be stay patient and you will hopefull get to him eventually. that didnt work. it was an alright gameplan though because rios really had no other shot. garcia probably knew that rios just had to hope that pac would slow a bit which didnt happen.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

As someone has already said, there is a style he does well with. I think he can take many pure Mexican brawlers and bump them skill wise to boxer/puncher proficiency. His time in the ring and as a trainer has given him a lot of experience. He's not much for finesse though and you can tell that many of his fighters aren't overly concerned with defensive footwork/head movement/ shoulder rolling or controlling the distance. The problem is much of what we see in the ring with Garcia's fighters are the sole performance we judge them and him on.

I think there's a lot of gym time wasted on getting guys into fighting shape (physically/mentally/ motivation) and strategy only comes in to play after.. and its too late by then. He fully believes in what hes preaching to these guys but toughness and ferocity will get you only so far and then it gets you into trouble.

For someone like Rios in the Pac fight. Its hard to blame garcia. You're not going to get the guy to move his head or feet or throw combos in one training camp. If you're getting out boxed by Alvarado, there's a good chance you're going to get swept by Pacquaio. So getting your head beat in while waiting till your opponent fades or decides to plant his feet/sit down on his punches and give up his biggest advantage so you cant time him... is wishing big. Especially when the the trainer in the other corner is Roach and he knows that's your only option... and the fighter is Pacquiao who doesn't tend to stray from game plans.

To look at his fighters:

Brandon Rios: I don't know if he would do better being trained by someone else (Ronnie Shield might be a fit)

Nonito Donaire: I think he stopped some good habits and started to leave himself open but that could be a mentality thing also. Theres more than one issue there.

Mikey Garcia: i dont think he would do as good or better with another trainer.

Anthony Margarito: I think he was done at the point where he got to him. So its a non issue.

Kelly Pavlik: Who knows...

I will say that he's a caring trainer. By allowing Rios Sr. and Donaire Sr. to sit in on camps. he's willing to try different things to make his fighters comfortable. Maybe he's too willing to make them comfortable and doesn't make his fighters do things theyre uncomfortable with. Who knows...
    They want your @$$ beat because upsets make news. News brings about excitement, excitement brings about ratings. The objective is to bring you up to the tower and tear your @$$ down. And if you don't believe that, you're crazy.

Roy Jones, Jr. "What I've Learned," Esquire 2003

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I liked Garcia as a fighter and he does have a good bunch of fighters currently. He does need to manage the his team better with their behaviour as they are a representation of him and I am sure he would not be impressed with the idiots that attacked Roach, no matter how badly they were provoked.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Thread Information