Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Froch say's he's open to Groves rematch if fans, trainer and promoter wants it

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Froch say's he's open to Groves rematch if fans, trainer and promoter wants it

With his status, he can demand a rematch if he wants to whether his trainer or promoter wants it or not.. The fans certainly want it..

Carl Froch, who retained his WBA and IBF super-middleweight titles via a controversial 9th-round stoppage over a highly dangerous and highly skilled George Groves, has spoken about the possibility of a rematch. Fans everywhere are almost certainly going to all but demand a return for two reasons: the great action last night’s fight provided and the premature nature of the referee’s stoppage.

Speaking with Sky Sports News today, Froch, 32-2-(23) said he will give the fans what they want as long as his trainer, Rob McCracken and his promoter, Eddie Hearn agree with the idea of a rematch.

“I’m happy to honour the crowd, fans and George Groves with a rematch if my trainer and promoter both agree,” Froch said. “I don’t swerve or duck anybody. If George wants a rematch and it makes sense, then of course we’ll get it on. It’s not my decision.”

With practically everyone associated with boxing calling last night’s stoppage a very bad/premature/controversial one – including retired great Joe Calzaghe, who has called the stoppage bulls**t – Froch may well be under fierce pressure to face Groves again. Meanwhile, Froch has spoken about how hard Groves hits.

“I had a slow start and got caught clean on the jaw with a very good right hand,” Froch said. “I was supposed to flatten George Groves in round one but got flattened myself, and I’m man enough to admit it. I got off the floor, I turned the fight around and I defended my title in style. I challenge any man to take that right hand off George Groves, get up and fight the way I did.”

Froch closed by saying how he plans to have a break over the Christmas period before looking at his next fight in 2014. Naturally, Groves, 19-1(15) wants that return chance

Is there any chance of Froch calling Hearn on the down low and begging him to keep Groves away from him?

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Froch say's he's open to Groves rematch if fans, trainer and promoter wants it

Quote Originally Posted by FinitoElDinamita View Post
    With his status, he can demand a rematch if he wants to whether his trainer or promoter wants it or not.. The fans certainly want it..

Carl Froch, who retained his WBA and IBF super-middleweight titles via a controversial 9th-round stoppage over a highly dangerous and highly skilled George Groves, has spoken about the possibility of a rematch. Fans everywhere are almost certainly going to all but demand a return for two reasons: the great action last night’s fight provided and the premature nature of the referee’s stoppage.

Speaking with Sky Sports News today, Froch, 32-2-(23) said he will give the fans what they want as long as his trainer, Rob McCracken and his promoter, Eddie Hearn agree with the idea of a rematch.

“I’m happy to honour the crowd, fans and George Groves with a rematch if my trainer and promoter both agree,” Froch said. “I don’t swerve or duck anybody. If George wants a rematch and it makes sense, then of course we’ll get it on. It’s not my decision.”

With practically everyone associated with boxing calling last night’s stoppage a very bad/premature/controversial one – including retired great Joe Calzaghe, who has called the stoppage bulls**t – Froch may well be under fierce pressure to face Groves again. Meanwhile, Froch has spoken about how hard Groves hits.

“I had a slow start and got caught clean on the jaw with a very good right hand,” Froch said. “I was supposed to flatten George Groves in round one but got flattened myself, and I’m man enough to admit it. I got off the floor, I turned the fight around and I defended my title in style. I challenge any man to take that right hand off George Groves, get up and fight the way I did.”

Froch closed by saying how he plans to have a break over the Christmas period before looking at his next fight in 2014. Naturally, Groves, 19-1(15) wants that return chance

Is there any chance of Froch calling Hearn on the down low and begging him to keep Groves away from him?
    If there's one thing he still has, it's the reputation of being tough and never ducking anyone.

I think he'll be under tremendous pressure by Hearn to take a rematch, as Froch damaged his reputation, he was classless, dirty and arrogant.

Groves looked several classes above Froch and Groves also made himself the most marketable British boxer, so Hearn will be gutted the belts never changed hands.....

Why you ask? Well good luck trying to sell a Froch fight on the back of that performance.
    You say tomato,
    ‘n I say …… it correctly.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Froch say's he's open to Groves rematch if fans, trainer and promoter wants it

Haha, if the fans, trainer and promoter want it, something tells me it won't be that order which decides things. It's a good point that there isn't really any bigger sell with Froch in it right now, he could rematch Ward but that's a less winnable fight for him and probably not worth as much either. Other than that where does he go? He'd be wasting his own time and catch a lot of flack for taking on just about anyone else I suspect. Of course Bika would literally murder anyone with a neutral ref, appointed by Rosses amateur boxing judge tribunal, but as long as we limit this to mortals I don't see many options. Watch Froch turn around and fight Chavez Jr next

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Just seen that myself, but if rob tells him he doesnt fancy the rematch it surely must tell Carl he needs to hang up the gloves, but I don't see that happening

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sky should force Hearns hand. Tell him if he want to keep the PPV platform for Froch, then he must fight Groves next. I'll be stunned if it doesn't happen. Froch is proud and he is no ducker and I'd imagine they'll close to double the PPV sales for the rematch so money will talk and it'll happen. My guess is April/May time next year.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Groves is now a free agent, that was his last fight with Matchroom, Eddie ordered a change of pants at the end of the first round.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    Groves is now a free agent, that was his last fight with Matchroom, Eddie ordered a change of pants at the end of the first round.
    Yeah he doesn't seem to pleased with team sky aswell at the moment, so if he wants the rematch he'll have to sign a contract with hearn first,,but it wouldn't supprise me if he goes to golden boy as they are keen to crack the uk

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Matchroom will want the rematch. Groves made his name in a fantastic fight that was PPV. That's going to make Matchroom desperate to sign him to a deal. If he wins a rematch he's Matchroom's biggest property by far and Froch is basically finished other than maybe a third Groves fight.

So he's in a hell of a position. Golden Boy could offer him a deal but they don't have a UK TV deal so he'd be fighting in America after that.

Question is does Froch want it. What the fuck does his trainer have to do with it? Froch is leaving an escape hatch for himself there. If he did turn the rematch down it'd be hilarious, it'd take away what's left of his reputation after Saturday night.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Noway in hell will froch rematch groves. Groves was beating the shit out of froch he was even hurting him bad with jabs and groves is only going to improve, froch runs from groves this fight will never happen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Jus seen George on sky again, saying how angry he is with the stoppage and prove carls a man of his word and have an immediate rematch or retire, he said sumthing about his law team investergating if there was corruption with the regards howard foster but quickly shyd away from that,, and thinks himself should b champion and have the loins share in a rematch,, Carl has no where else to go but to fight him

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If Froch doesn't want to fight him it'll be interesting to see what Matchroom do. There's lots of ways this could go. Groves needs to make sure a guaranteed rematch with Froch is part of any new deal he signs with Matchroom. If Matchroom think Froch is nearly done maybe they do Froch Kessler 3 and then do the Groves rematch. They'll want to make as much out of Froch as they can before he retires and so will Froch. Those two fights are probably the best option for both of them, let's face it he isn't going to be fighting Ward again.

Thread Information