Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: A look at Robinson and Mayweather- Modern vs Old timers part 2!

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by FinitoElDinamita View Post
    Ray leonard is better than robinson and he sure wouldnt have lost to the part time sailors he lost to..

Old school fighters are overrated..
    Lol.

I love the sailors part.

To be fair, you have a point even if sugar ray had 400 fights..what type of opponents were they.

Quality not quantity.

Ray robinson is a legend in his era but this era belongs to someone else.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: A look at Robinson and Mayweather- Modern vs Old timers part 2!

Ray leonard is better than robinson and he sure wouldnt have lost to the part time sailors he lost to..

Old school fighters are overrated..

Agreed. In fact I would find it hard to write off any of the fantastic 4 here. It was just a really talented era and you can see the difference.
    "Enough with the games mate! Your messing with the Grand Master!"

Lennox Lewis

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by AdamGB View Post
    Again, if Robinson lived in this area... He'd have the extra half a century of sports science, nutrition, PEDs and sporting history/experience to learn from.

You can only judge a guy relative to the context of their area.

Like I've already said...
    True and we now know that balance and power stems from the big toe so even the old flat soled leather high boots dipped in a chalk tray each round for some grip messed with that era.
    Imagine them in modern shoes with no slippery advertizing on the canvas plus the modern diet, training and study of techniques we have.
    Add that to the old work ethic and real hunger and you'd have some all round machines frequenting the ring.
    If you got the best of both worlds you'd have dudes with thin old gloves used to going 20 rounds and before that up to 103 one minute rounds without gloves and people not being able to recognize the fighters after a few rounds, thats a tough setting.
    How many modern boxers could handle stepping back to any of that?.
    Different games different rules now, padded gloves, less rounds, ring size agreements, better boots, you name it,we got it, so now you can diversify and survive in there a number of ways. I think it works both ways though,there'd be some massive shocks in store for a modern fighter going back in time and trying to survive under their rules.
    On the other side of the coin it would be just as hard for old school to come forward in time and survive what its become too although with the modern gloves and less rounds and better ring control by the refs I think they'd be still standing but maybe frustrated and outpointed or disqualified.
    Go the other way though and I think it could get messy for most modern boxers in old gloves,longer rounds with more fouls allowed on the inside and those crushing outer wrist bone shots that were ignored in those old gloves. If anyone had a hope it would be Floyd though,he has a way of dissolving the oppositions power in close while gaining position.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Andre the adjustments each would have to make would of course ask many questions of the fighters involved, that complicates things..

On the issue regarding if previous fighters were to have had the same advancements and experiences of more modern generation ones would be as good if not better than modern fighters are today by virtue of the fact they came up tougher and with a greater work ethic- I don't really have an issue with that assumption. I'm only comparing how they in fact were as opposed to how they would have been... IF.

A couple of things to consider though...

1/Just because they came up tougher does not necessarily mean they would be more focussed on boxing. It could be argued that a harsher and more turbulent life might destroy focus maybe. If you look at the great number of fighters from the former Soviet Union and Eastern BLOC countries who have made it to the top these days- they come from an extremely oppressive and harsh regime just like the former American one which raised those greats of the past with the added distinction though that the Soviet regime had an intensive boxing program which forged their fighters like a factory from the time they could walk. It shows in the statistics as well in that the Eastern BLOC has bested the Western World overall in the Olympics going back a long time.

2/To say that old timers had better work ethic is an unproven assumption to begin with. Take none other than Mayweather for example.. Or Wladimir Klitschko. Both of them state their cases for being dominant champions due to their "hard work.. and dedication". Who is to say that these guys don't work as hard as say Rocky Marciano? Or Sugar Robinson? I would think they'd work just as hard at their craft.

3/If you take the olden days fighters, give them modern diets, training, sparring partners, medicine, pharmaceuticals, make them taller and heftier or what not then they would have different balances and have to fight different game. They would not even BE the same boxers.

Again Andre, I'm not denying that what your saying can't be true, it might! But it could also be akin to assuming that former greats were intrinsically better which is disputable.

Lennox Lewis

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Who is to say that these guys do work as hard as say Rocky Marciano? Or Sugar Robinson?

Just because they are modern does not make them better either.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yes Master, the reverse can also be true, I'm not disputing that! If you need to hear it explicitly.

Personally, I think the champs of all the eras work equally as hard and their were lazier than average guys in every era.

Lennox Lewis

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
    Yes Master, the reverse can also be true, I'm not disputing that! If you need to hear it explicitly.

Personally, I think the champs of all the eras work equally as hard and their were lazier than average guys in every era.
    Yes I did need to hear that acknowledgement as you have called legends in the sport fat, blind, shoe shiners and feather fisted.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah. And you have called contemporary top level boxers, fat, lazy, unskilled and unable to carry these old timers spit buckets! Don't be such a hypocrite!

Lennox Lewis

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah. And you have called contemporary top level boxers, fat, lazy, unskilled and unable to carry these old timers spit buckets! Don't be such a hypocrite!
    Shaddup for a while now, you @$$-licker....

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Bradlee your tongue is so far up these golden age asses you are at risk of heavy metal poisoning. The voice of the purest of nuthuggers I'm afraid!

Lennox Lewis

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Bradlee your tongue is so far up these golden age asses you are at risk of heavy metal poisoning. The voice of the purest of nuthuggers I'm afraid!

Gold isn't a heavy metal.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Technically rocco... you are correct! If your boxing analysis was as good as your screening of my quips you might see things more my way!!

Lennox Lewis

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Technically rocco... you are correct! If your boxing analysis was as good as your screening of my quips you might see things more my way!!

After having "screened" the majority of your posts I've noticed that around 95% of the forum members responding to your ridiculous posts disagree with your very opinionated but deeply flawed boxing analysis.

You have alot of opinions but no knowledge to back those opinions up. when someone disagrees with you your primary response is "you're brainwashed"

In one of the threads that you started you admit that you don't know if draping oneself over an opponent and wrestling them is illegal! WTF guy...think a little and stop looking for attention all the time.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

max power, you don't know a left hook from a fish hook, an uppercut from a coldcut, a straight right from a right cross....

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well Mr. Rocco, if it was so clear cut then how come you were unable to provide anything like a conclusive answer either yes/no or why it's tolerated. I specifically asked to be replied to by someone with fine knowledge of the rules, not some arbitrary forum basher and preferably one not one eyed biased against the fighter in question.

Instead I get more non-sensical input for you and your alt Bradley. Here's a thought, if you don't like the content of a thread, IGNORE it! You could ignore me altogether if you wanted but you find some amusement poking sticks since your favourites got exposed as less than super-human and your a little butt-hurt. Get over it you little child!

Lennox Lewis

Thread Information