Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: A look at Robinson and Mayweather- Modern vs Old timers part 2!

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: A look at Robinson and Mayweather- Modern vs Old timers part 2!

Crickets

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

@Max Power you are disrespectful to those fighters who came before. Have you heard the term hard man? Fighters from earlier generations were the epitome of the word. I wonder if you have ever been around a fighter from say the early 80s backward you can just see it in these men. Some of them are the most gentle men you will ever find outside the ring, but inside they are extraordinary that was the way they lived, they would find a way to beat you, they were fighters. You really can't understand. They came up through times of oppression, with nothing. Winning was a means to an end. Put food on the table. Paid for heat. Even WladKlit realizes the sacrifices these fighters made for their families

And you ask me about my credentials

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    I make that 2-0 to Max. You funkers need to find something? He's wiping the floor with this forum with just basic common sense.

SRR defense does look shit from the footage of him. Fact. Why would anyone dispute that?
    are you and max power the same person? you can be honest, i wont judge you.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Cucaracha if I have trash talked a lot of fighters I really am sorry if it has offended. I might throw the term "bum" and stuff around a lot but I don't ACTULLY think that's what they are. In fact nobody who has the guts and heart to take up boxing and step foot inside a ring for any length of time can really be described in this way.

But I find it immensely hypocritical when guys like you have just done, criticise me on the acidity of some of my posts which is only a small fraction of what guys post about modern boxers ALL THE TIME (fat, lazy, unskilled, weak, no heart, over hyped) the list goes on! You may consider it tit for tat mate!

The difference is at the end of the day I consider all of these guys, modern and old, on their merits whereas I feel that you'se do not!

And atleast when I trash talk I try to give, if not empirical evidence- something statistical to lend it some weight. Your jibes on the other hand amount to little more than poking a stick!

So far I have seen a sense of humour from you and that's great but in your 40 odd posts I see no real analysis yet. Just the occasional time repeated statements that the most basic nubag uses (Wlad's chin this, weak era that) with no proof.
    "Enough with the games mate! Your messing with the Grand Master!"

Lennox Lewis

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

OK Max but you have no way to prove the modern fighters are better than those off past era's. My father was a fighter & was a very hard man. Now he wasn't a heavyweight only light-welter. Now I guarantee you at his peak he would have KTFO WladKlit. I have no beef with you but I question the legitimacy off you ever spending time with an old time fighter. Every muscle was toned so tight, the seniew so taught. You ever heard of gym wars? These guys trained as it was their livelihood. I once saw my old man ko 3 guys on a gold course. I was only a kid, but the guys hadn't waited for us to move to the next whole. One guys shot was headed straight for us, unawares to me. My dad covered me with his body taking the shot on his knee without a word. The 3 guys came through talking shit & my dad tried to explain the danger & that a child was in their sights. They attacked my father & found out the hard way what a real fighter can do. He dropped 2 guys with 1 shot each. My dad's mate grabbed my dad by both arms from behind trying to stop the fight & the 3rd guy took a shot. This broke my fathers jaw. At which point my dads mate let him go & he clocked this guy with 2 shots that to this day I can still hear the sound crunching in my ears. When my mum came to the hospital he made me tell her a golf ball had hit him so she wouldn't worry. I still don't know if she believed me but I never heard my dad make a sound, from the drive to the hospital, to the dr wiring his jaw together to him drinking his food through a straight for the next couple of months.

I have nothing against WladKlit, he is the best of this era. But he is far from a hard man in my eyes

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by p4pking View Post
    Nick Cage is nothing without Leaving Las Vegas

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by powerpuncher View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    I make that 2-0 to Max. You funkers need to find something? He's wiping the floor with this forum with just basic common sense.

SRR defense does look shit from the footage of him. Fact. Why would anyone dispute that?
    are you and max power the same person? you can be honest, i wont judge you.
    I am merely an impartial observer.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This question is kinda stupid because none of us have seen SRR in his prime on film. I mean there is not even one film of him at ww right they all got burnt in a fire. Mayweather had trouble with semi retired Oscar and Cotto 154 not sure how he is at 160. So lets not get carried away i mean in Mayweather's prime you could argue he lost to Jlc who is not a atg. Hw thread i kinda agree with but the old 70's guys came back in the 90's and did pretty well so i think there era was pretty good don't you think guys because the 90's destroy this era we are in right now i know that much.
    Last edited by Mr140; 12-07-2013 at 11:30 AM.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I saw a dream with SRR today, he told me there a lot, but all I managed to recall was that he repeated all the time: "Ya'll Must Have Forgot". He was sad
    Last edited by SugarBoxing; 12-07-2013 at 12:02 PM.
    Learn Mike Tyson style and elements of Peekaboo @ SugarBoxing

jon09 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
    There is a difference between being "entertaining" and being "technically brilliant".

Punch bags are great to watch. But everybody knows that if you put a tough punch bag in front of a much more skilled fighter they live up to that label.

I think for all SRR's size advantage... Pacquiao is faster and hits harder!

SRR has power in both hands does he? He can take great punches right? THAT'S the points you choose to highlight about him, says a lot.

I see Floyd dismantling a lot of opponents at SRR's level but I see little of SRR handling anybody close to Mayweather, or most of his opponents for that matter!
    I said entertaining OUTSIDE the ropes such as acting and trying to sell himself to the public. And what more do you want from a fighter? I don't see anything Mayweather can do that Ray couldn't figure out either. Hell even Roger Mayweather said the body of work Robinson has done is more impressive then his nephews. And it's all matter of opinion anyways from all sides. And I'm not a nuthugger you smug douche but I do appreciate the sports past as it has paved the way for todays stars.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This question is kinda stupid because none of us have seen SRR in his prime on film. I mean there is not even one film of him at ww right they all got burnt in a fire. Mayweather had trouble with semi retired Oscar and Cotto 154 not sure how he is at 160. So lets not get carried away i mean in Mayweather's prime you could argue he lost to Jlc who is not a atg. Hw thread i kinda agree with but the old 70's guys came back in the 90's and did pretty well so i think there era was pretty good don't you think guys because the 90's destroy this era we are in right now i know that much.
    Ok 140, there is enough film of Robinson to see his style and make a bit of an assessment but think about what you have just said... That SRR has not been studied in prime. So that says that all the forum bashers all over the world stamp their faith in SRR as being the greatest of all time, pick him in all fights and give analysis of him based on something they haven't even seen! That's not right is it! I believe in my own 2 eyes!

@La Cucaracha

Great story man.. I will tread lightly here because we are talking about your dad now and I want to show you respect. But considering Wlad a superheavyweight gold medallist and the current and dominant HW champ of the world I can say with some certainty that your dad is not a threat to him within the rules of boxing. My position being declared, this is your father so I can only add.. I DON'T REALLY KNOW. Just as with the old timers vs the modern athletes, neither I nor anybody else can have what amounts to any "Empirical Evidence" for hypothetical match ups to back up either my view OR theirs so I guess the playing field has been levelled

As for past warriors including your dad, of course they are chiselled. I didn't mean to imply they were "soft as butter" back in the day. The boxers have always been the most Spartan conditioned of all athletes imo. As for Wlad and his modern peers compared to the old timers, I agree fully that the old guys were a "tougher breed" in a subjective sense, there's no doubt that. But I think that is not the same as in a performance or comparative advantage sense. They may have been bigger men on the inside and that does count for something!
    "Enough with the games mate! Your messing with the Grand Master!"

Lennox Lewis

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ray leonard is better than robinson and he sure wouldnt have lost to the part time sailors he lost to..

Old school fighters are overrated..

jon09 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by FinitoElDinamita View Post
    Ray leonard is better than robinson and he sure wouldnt have lost to the part time sailors he lost to..

I'm sure a few decades down the road they will say the same thing about our generation.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by FinitoElDinamita View Post

Robinson only lost once at welterweight, which sailors did he lose to?
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Thread Information