Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: A look at Robinson and Mayweather- Modern vs Old timers part 2!

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: A look at Robinson and Mayweather- Modern vs Old timers part 2!

And who would pay Floyd to see that shit?

For all this talk about how fighting was their trade back then, they had to box to make a dollar etc.- well that is all true, I never said these guys weren't tough and I never said these guys didn't have it tougher in their day.. But today, with ever present media and the ridiculous standard that fighters are held to, fans underestimate the enormous pressure that the boxers are under to perform.

If a boxers chooses to face a fighter that is even somewhat considered a bum or a mismatch the media is on it, the forums are on it, they are openly and constantly ridiculed at every step. If they suffer even 1 loss, struggle or minor upset their whole career may be called into question. The past warriors did not have to contend with this.

interesting read, though I would ask for images or animated gifs to back it up
    I could help you with that, I mean making gifs and such , if you'd be interested in blogging at my website
    @NVSemin
    I might be Could I take a look at your website mate??

@greynotsoold

I was a child of the 80's and a teenager in the 90's and so it's true I have no special connection to the golden age fighters. I have boxed Amatuer most of my life and am a qualified fitness instructor. I am a big fan and have watched endless fights and enjoy analysis.

As for your statement, thinking SRR would force Mayweather to fight and hence be stopped, that has been the idea for most all of Mayweathers opponents. These opponents look fantastic against their other opponents and whilst training for the Mayweather fight. Mayweather bummifies his opponents. I think, and this is just my observations here so only my opinion, that SRR would find mostly air, become frustrated... And punch more and more air. But I could just be crazy...

Sorry I haven't the inclination to find a nice clip of May punching his opponents like the other bloke posted but there is many
    "Enough with the games mate! Your messing with the Grand Master!"

Lennox Lewis

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Max Power View Post

@NVSemin
    PM sent
    Learn Mike Tyson style and elements of Peekaboo @ SugarBoxing

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Where was part 1 - the heavyweights? you lost that and now you start this which is even more stupid.

SRR would batter the living shit out of Floyd as would Hearns and Leonard. Get over yourself.
    To the best of my knowledge I left no stone unturned there, answered to every counter point and found virtually no plausible resistance worth anything more than insults. I wouldn't call that losing.

How does SRR batter the living shit out of someone... Who simply would not be there..

To put it another way... AS IF! SRR could batter the living shit out of Mayweather! AS IF!

Hearns and Leonard, I tip Mayweather personally but I will mind my P's and Q's a little more on that because for me the outcome there is not so clear. I like both fighters and think they are entirely capable. But I can SEE the gap for SRR and Mayweather in the skills, in the bodies and the type of fighting boxing was then and now and I know that it would not be nearly enough to compete with $$$.

Lennox Lewis

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

And who would pay Floyd to see that shit?

For all this talk about how fighting was their trade back then, they had to box to make a dollar etc.- well that is all true, I never said these guys weren't tough and I never said these guys didn't have it tougher in their day.. But today, with ever present media and the ridiculous standard that fighters are held to, fans underestimate the enormous pressure that the boxers are under to perform.

If a boxers chooses to face a fighter that is even somewhat considered a bum or a mismatch the media is on it, the forums are on it, they are openly and constantly ridiculed at every step. If they suffer even 1 loss, struggle or minor upset their whole career may be called into question. The past warriors did not have to contend with this.

interesting read, though I would ask for images or animated gifs to back it up
    I could help you with that, I mean making gifs and such , if you'd be interested in blogging at my website
    @NVSemin

@greynotsoold

I was a child of the 80's and a teenager in the 90's and so it's true I have no special connection to the golden age fighters. I have boxed Amatuer most of my life and am a qualified fitness instructor. I am a big fan and have watched endless fights and enjoy analysis.

As for your statement, thinking SRR would force Mayweather to fight and hence be stopped, that has been the idea for most all of Mayweathers opponents. These opponents look fantastic against their other opponents and whilst training for the Mayweather fight. Mayweather bummifies his opponents. I think, and this is just my observations here so only my opinion, that SRR would find mostly air, become frustrated... And punch more and more air. But I could just be crazy...

Sorry I haven't the inclination to find a nice clip of May punching his opponents like the other bloke posted but there is many
    Fair enough...I don't think that Robinson would be 'bummified' (and that is a good word and I will someday use it and claim to have invented it) by anything that Mayweather could throw at him. If you watch Robinson, he has, first of all,a significant height and reach advantage over Mayweather. Second, he throws a right hand to the body that would work well against Mayweather.
    He would not let Floyd control the tempo and the pacing of the fight. That is the how/why of making mayweather fight. See, in between the easy, pay day fights, while he was padding his record, Robinson fought Mandell and Angot and Zivic and Jackie Wilson and artie levine and Tommy Bell. He fought a lot of very good fighters.
    Canelo? he fought...? Of course he didn't know how to fight Floyd.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

SRR is the best fighter ever. His speed and height advantage would be enough to overcome Mayweather. Mayweather is class but he handpicks fighters that dont have the tools to beat him. Canelo, Ortiz, Guerrero are all slow one dimensional fighters. Has Mayweather ever fought an all time great in their prime?

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

SRR is not as fast as Mayweather. His handspeed may be comparable but his timing and accuracy is not as sharp and his technique is far worse. He is taller though, but not so much taller that it will make a huge difference.

"Jake" LaMotta was nothing less than what you described for Money's opponents, he was just aggressive and strong, a bit like young Alvarez. Yet Money did what he was supposed to do to these guys.. Completely dominated them. Whilst SRR always had a tough time with LaMotta. That's because he was born about 50 years too early to learn how to keep a raging bull at bay!

Lennox Lewis

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

SRR at welterweight was fighting a middleweight in La Motta.

SRR could punch a lot harder than Floyd everything else would be the relatively the same which is why I see Leonard and Hearns beating him also.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

SRR is not as fast as Mayweather. His handspeed may be comparable but his timing and accuracy is not as sharp and his technique is far worse. He is taller though, but not so much taller that it will make a huge difference.

"Jake" LaMotta was nothing less than what you described for Money's opponents, he was just aggressive and strong, a bit like young Alvarez. Yet Money did what he was supposed to do to these guys.. Completely dominated them. Whilst SRR always had a tough time with LaMotta. That's because he was born about 50 years too early to learn how to keep a raging bull at bay!
    Comparing LaMotta to Alvarez? Goodness. LaMotta fought guys like Bert Lytell, Lloyd marshall, Holman Williams and Teddy yarosz. Have you eard of the "Black Murderer's Row"? The black fighters everybody avoided? LaMotta fought and beat them all.
    I don't know what you see when you watch a fight, what you have been taught or learned, but to compare Alvarez to La Motta, I don't understand it.

jon09 Guest

I can't imagine SRR not fighting Pacman, Margarito or even Tzsyu . Hell he would have fought them all in the same year probably twice. Also guys like Castillo, Hatton and even Judah gave Mayweather problems. Sugar had power in both hands a concrete chin and was never afraid to take chances. I love Money May but I feel Ray was the ultimate fighter and even entertaining outside the ropes.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

There is a difference between being "entertaining" and being "technically brilliant".

Punch bags are great to watch. But everybody knows that if you put a tough punch bag in front of a much more skilled fighter they live up to that label.

I think for all SRR's size advantage... Pacquiao is faster and hits harder!

SRR has power in both hands does he? He can take great punches right? THAT'S the points you choose to highlight about him, says a lot.

I see Floyd dismantling a lot of opponents at SRR's level but I see little of SRR handling anybody close to Mayweather, or most of his opponents for that matter!

Lennox Lewis

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Again, there is far too much tolerance in the boxing world for the OTN ("Old Time Nutbag"!)

Lennox Lewis

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I make that 2-0 to Max. You funkers need to find something? He's wiping the floor with this forum with just basic common sense.

SRR defense does look shit from the footage of him. Fact. Why would anyone dispute that?
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

@Max Power did you say Ray LoMotta? Haha your a joke Does everyone remember Roycott? I'm officially announcing Maxcott

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hahaha Yes I did make mistake Cucaracha and thank you very much for pointing that out.

I must have seen Goodfellas recently lol

You should apply for the job of Forum dirt kicker, your credentials are unsurpassed!!

Lennox Lewis

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hahaha Yes I did make mistake Cucaracha and thank you very much for pointing that out.

I must have seen Goodfellas recently lol

You should apply for the job of Forum dirt kicker, your credentials are unsurpassed!!
    That's Ray Liotta son come on what you playing at

Thread Information