Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Why can't cruiser weight get more coverage I got a plan for the division.

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Why can't cruiser weight get more coverage I got a plan for the division.

I love cruiser weight I just don't ever get to watch it I can't stand it I don't know the champions at this point.

I think NBC sports should buy the purse bids on big cw fights and build around that division. Besides hw they air washed up fighters or up comers. Why not get world class fighters in a division with guys that look like hws but have a lot more speed.

Hernandez vs huck on NBC sports I love it get adamek to go back down to fight for the title.

Ola afolabi how can you not love watching this guy fight. Cruiser weight is a exciting division with no home in the USA. Who knows maybe more hws would drop like Shane Cameron.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Why can't cruiser weight get more coverage I got a plan for the division.

The problem with CW IMO is that it is perpetually a "stepping stone" division, where as soon as CW has a breakout star that is getting big attention, he moves up to HW to pursue bigger money (Spinks, Holyfield, Haye, ect).

So in a lot of ways, the CW division has become the "minor league" for the HW division. Which is a shame, because like you said it is a really entertaining division.

It's a shame, because MMA's equivilent of cruiserweight (LHW, which has a 205lb limit), has always been a big money division, completel independant from the HW division. LHW MMA fighters don't face the same pressure to move up to HW.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Why can't cruiser weight get more coverage I got a plan for the division.

I also love the cruiserweight division, it seems to always have entertaining fights, certainly at a domestic UK level with guys who are in shape but also have enough speed and power to make for dramatic endings to fights. Not as many depressing dull fights as you find in the heavyweight division either.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the cruiser weight division is the newest one. I think that and most people either fight in LHW in which they have a good chance to fight the starts of middle and SMW or move up north to heavyweight.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Beanflicker and davilajones, make great points.

the Heavyweight will always receive 4 times more coverage than any other division, this is true since beginning of time.

It might seem a herculean task to fight the giants a heavyweight but that's what the public want to see, taking on all comers not saying someone is to big to fight.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

There is nothing wrong with the CW division and it better be here to stay. It's necessary. You can no longer expect someone to jump form 175lbs to fighting guys that might weigh 250! It's ridiculous!

Of course CW will always be a stepping stone for HW, like Light HW before it! As if fighters don't step up from lightweight to welterweight or welterweight to middleweight as their careers progress and they get older and heavier! That statement is moronic!

I agree with the OP here, The cruiser division has produced great fighters and has held a high standard throughout it's history including today. Whenever you see a division with little American influence or relevance (i.e. the heavier divisions today) you see American fans trash talking the whole division or the era or both. It's just an immature response to something that is only a problem in jealous eyes.
    "Enough with the games mate! Your messing with the Grand Master!"

Lennox Lewis

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

From middle to cruiser is where boxing should focus for a resurgence

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It does merit more attention. Unfortunately they cannot all be Orlin Norris, a talented heavyweight who actually went 'down' to cruiser before it was all over. NBC did justice to the division in August in what turned into a showcase for little known Thabiso Mchuno as he schooled Eddie Chambers. On the last show it was a cruiser who packed on the weight as a fill in and gave Glazkov a decent scrap and had the crowd in his pocket at the end. Hopefully, we'll see more guys of relevance

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Make Hernandez-Huck

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I pay attention to it. Call me crazy but it's my favorite division. Very underrated. Max Power made a good point...when a division lacks a US presence it tends not to get much respect.

There have been some great fights in recent times: Huck-Afolabi Trilogy, Wlodarczyk-Chakhkiev, Jones-Lebedev, Makabu-Kucher, YPH-Cunningham II. And there's a great blue chip prospect in Oleksandr Usyk who's on his way up.

Quote Originally Posted by La Cucaracha View Post
    Make Hernandez-Huck
    I would love to see that but they share the same trainer so it's unlikely.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    It does merit more attention. Unfortunately they cannot all be Orlin Norris, a talented heavyweight who actually went 'down' to cruiser before it was all over. NBC did justice to the division in August in what turned into a showcase for little known Thabiso Mchuno as he schooled Eddie Chambers. On the last show it was a cruiser who packed on the weight as a fill in and gave Glazkov a decent scrap and had the crowd in his pocket at the end. Hopefully, we'll see more guys of relevance

Funny you'd say that, Mchuno and Garret Wilson are actually fighting on an NBC card in January, should be a good one. Don't give Wilson a great chance to win just based on their last fiights, but Mchuno does have a stoppage loss just a couple years ago for what that's worth.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm not gonna lie, Marco Huck brought me back into the CW division. One of the most exciting fighters in the world today.
    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

Thread Information