Thread: The Film "The Fighter" in the New York Review of Books, 10 March 2011

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default The Film "The Fighter" in the New York Review of Books, 10 March 2011

THE FIGHTER

After posting the following item, I saw that I had already posted this same piece some two years ago. I apologize, but I'll leave it here anyway. If moderators want to delete it...no problem.-Ron Price, Australia
    ---------------------------------------------------
    I came across a review of the film The Fighter in the New York Review of Books, 10 March 2011, and I pass some of that review on here for readers at this boxing forum. The Fighter is a 2010 biographical sports drama film directed by David O. Russell, and starring Mark Wahlberg, Christian Bale, Melissa Leo and Amy Adams. I’ve taken an interest in boxing since my teenage years with my dad in Canada when he joined the Baha’i Faith.-Ron Price, Tasmania

The Fighter is a portrayal of boxing as the public, professional, and singularly ugly face of what might be called the primal pathology of the human condition—the compulsion to fight, to subject oneself to injury and humiliation, matched with the hardly less perverse compulsion to witness such extremes of human endurance in a brutalized public place.
    Is there a transcendent, bitter beauty to this grim sport, asks this American author of more than 50 books, Joyce Carol Oats(b. 1963-), rhetorically? The Fighter never suggests that boxing allows superior athletes to perform brilliantly and memorably? It’s traditional for boxers, especially young boxers in training, to study films of great fights under the tutelage of their trainers, and in this study, they acquire a reverence for past champions, as well as exemplary models to follow.

The Fighter is, if not a champion film for all time, a very good, poignant, and commendable expression of its era: post-industrial working-class urban America, bereft of history as it is bereft of jobs, strong unions, pride in one’s work. Lowell, Massachusetts, is the ideal setting for this modest fairy tale of an underdog who finally comes out on top—if but temporarily, and with what cost to him, no one quite knows or seems to care. Boxing may be cruel and pitiless to its most ardent practitioners, but bountiful to its gifted chroniclers.-Ron Price with thanks to Joyce Carol Oates, “The Camera at Ringside,” 10 March 2011, The New York Review of Books, 10 March 2011.
    Last edited by RonPrice; 12-10-2013 at 10:55 AM. Reason: to change the italics
    married for 45 years, a teacher for 35, a writer & editor for 13, and a Baha'i for 53(in 2012)Hidden Content

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: The Film "The Fighter" in the New York Review of Books, 10 March 2011

Ron, deleting any of your posts would be sacrilegious.
    To me, they are ancient scrolls that you occasionally allow us to view before disappearing back to your cloud-home.
    Saddo Fantasy Premier League
    2011/12 - 2nd
    2012/13 -1st Hidden Content
    2013/14 - 3rd (Master won)

Saddo World Cup Dream Team
    2014 - 1st Hidden Content

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: The Film "The Fighter" in the New York Review of Books, 10 March 2011

It's been several months, ryanman, since you posted your words of appreciation or, perhaps, gentle satire. Arguably the world's most famous satirist, Jonathan Swift, suffered a great deal. I trust your days, ryanman, are relatively free of life's slings and arrows.-Ron
    married for 45 years, a teacher for 35, a writer & editor for 13, and a Baha'i for 53(in 2012)Hidden Content

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by RonPrice View Post
    It's been several months, ryanman, since you posted your words of appreciation or, perhaps, gentle satire. Arguably the world's most famous satirist, Jonathan Swift, suffered a great deal. I trust your days, ryanman, are relatively free of life's slings and arrows.-Ron
    Genuine appreciation from me Ron. You are post-for-post the greatest member of Saddos.

My life is pretty sling and arrow free thank you.
    Saddo Fantasy Premier League
    2011/12 - 2nd
    2012/13 -1st Hidden Content
    2013/14 - 3rd (Master won)

Saddo World Cup Dream Team
    2014 - 1st Hidden Content

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Your words, ryanman, are much appreciated. They help to provide balance to some of the heavy-hitting I get at this site. Life in cyberspace and real space, for that matter, has many similarities to the world of boxing at least for people like me who now have many books and 100s of articles in cyberspace.-Ron

Thread Information