Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default I Kicked Winter's Ass

Last week, our temperatures fell below zero, and stayed below zero for 6 days. My furnace broke the first night, when it got to -12F. I had two space heaters and it got cold in here. My furnace would kick on sporadically, so I knew it worked, so I changed my thermostat. That didn't fix the problem. I figure that there is an electrical problem someplace between the thermostat and the furnace itself, while my friend thinks it is the heating element of the furnace (which is electric).
    I bought a $394 'Infrared Quartz heater' but it was 50 in the house and, for a week, it never got above 56. I kept the faucets running a bit to keep the pipes from freezing and bursting. Then winter caved- tried to save face by dumping a bunch of snow, but it is 30 today and it is 70 in my house. Assuming that this cold doesn't kill me- and I have treated it with Jim Beam and beer, so I don't think it will- I crushed winter.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: I Kicked Winter's Ass

I couldnt do it,we are spoilt, every season in a day can happen here and it frequently happens over a week,perfect mix of everything, we freeze maybe once a year, stinking hot for only a month or two with nice breaks each night with sea breezes kicking in and a cold front comes in off the west at least once a week.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It hit -30 Celsius here last night (-22 Fahrenheit), head of the Ottawa River, Lake Timiskaming, Canada. Kisina is the nishnab word that means "It's cold."

No wind at least. I like to take a walk after midnight on those kind of nights. Feel that cold air biting deep into your lungs. In July, it gets up to about 38 C here (100 F).

Coldest days in this spot occur in early to mid-Jan for a week or so, usually a few days and nights hitting -40 C (40 below F). That's straight reading, no wind chill. There's much colder spots in Canada than here. A few days ago, southern Alberta was getting about 140 km/hr winds (87 miles/hr) at -40 C (40 below F). With windchill, they say it felt like -60 C (-76 F).

Y'know, following the latitude lines, the UK is farther north than here. But you guys get that warm gulf stream air...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Kids are outside playing on sleds right now, sliding on a big snowbank. It's about 7:25 in the evening right now. Cold is not a problem if you're properly dressed for the weather.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I suppose the flu is rare in that extreme weather?
    Flu seems to hit hardest here when its humid and the temp goes up and down around it.

I can explain it.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

We are having a mild winter over here, last night was 10 degrees.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Despite the cold, we still have flu season. Flu shots are widely available for free. I never get them.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by bradlee180 View Post
    Despite the cold, we still have flu season. Flu shots are widely available for free. I never get them.
    I dont either. My parents do and seems to lessen the impact a bit but they still get it .

We had some weird thing go around a month back, slight tickle for a day,sneezing for a day, then throat sore for a week or more then into the lungs, temperature and sickness hit and then coughing up to 6 weeks later for some people!

I can explain it.

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    I dont either. My parents do and seems to lessen the impact a bit but they still get it .

We had some weird thing go around a month back, slight tickle for a day,sneezing for a day, then throat sore for a week or more then into the lungs, temperature and sickness hit and then coughing up to 6 weeks later for some people!

super-germs are evolving and finding ways to fuck us over. We just had this thing go round last week:

1. tickling and pinching in the lowest part of the throat near the breast bone
    2. throat begins dripping/post nasal drip
    3. throat starts burning higher up near adam's apple
    4. head becomes congested and wicked sneezing starts, convulsing the whole body until after 24 hrs of it your whole back and sides and diapragm area is sore as shit as the muscles have been herked and jerked with about 60 sneezes, violent ones
    5. headache comes on from so much sneezing then coughing comes on, not much phlegm but a dry cough and the throat tightens up like laryngitis
    6. major cough descends into the bronchial tubes
    7. eyes become red like pink-eye
    8. finally subsides after 8 days

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by brocktonblockbust View Post

super-germs are evolving and finding ways to fuck us over. We just had this thing go round last week:

4. head becomes congested and wicked sneezing starts, convulsing the whole body until after 24 hrs of it your whole back and sides and diapragm area is sore as shit as the muscles have been herked and jerked with about 60 sneezes, violent ones
    5. headache comes on from so much sneezing then coughing comes on, not much phlegm but a dry cough and the throat tightens up like laryngitis
    I blame Obama.

I can explain it.

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by brocktonblockbust View Post

I blame Obama.
    exactly fuck his ass, little bitch, fuck his ass. Fuck Barry's ass.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Gitchi gitchi KISINA! BRRRRRRRRRR !

It's very, very COLD! BRRRRRRRRR !

-42.5 Celsius this morning (44 Below Fahrenheit). Jan 2, 2014. Temiskaming Shores, Ontario area.
    Windchill was bringing it to -52 C (62 Below F).

...So naturally I decided to take a walk around the neighborhood as soon as I woke this morning.
    An old tradition of mine, been doing it since about 1988 maybe, a walk at the coldest time, the sound of snow crunching under your boots.
    25 min walk, eyebrows had time to turn frosty. In that short time, it warmed up a couple degrees from the sun burning through the fog.

It's midday now, warmed up to -27 C (-16 F).
    We only get this cold snap for maybe 5 to 10 days in Jan. It's usually not as cold as that regularly in Winter here. -21 C is about average (6 below F). It's not bad, just dress right is all.

Many wild creatures in the forest will have perished last night. Other creatures will benefit from that.

My 9 year old took the pic of my frosted eyebrows and eyelashes.

Ni zagiton nidukim.
    I love this land.

Thread Information