Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So Manny beats Rios and suddenly he's back where he was pre-JMM??

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default So Manny beats Rios and suddenly he's back where he was pre-JMM??

Can someone explain this to me? All I've seen over the past few weeks is people talking about Mayweather/Pacquiao, like we're still in 2010.

How does beat Rios get Manny back to the level he once was? Rios was an undersized, slow, hand-picked patsy coming off of a loss. Rios was chosed because he was a slow plodder that Manny has historically had a field day with, but unlike guys like Margarito he was an undersized WW who didn't have the strength or power to really bother Pac.

Am I crazy for thinking that Pac should be looking to rack up a REAL win or two before he's even mentioned in the same breath as Mayweather?

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: So Manny beats Rios and suddenly he's back where he was pre-JMM??

The question could be asked the other way.

So Manny loses by one-punch KO vs. Marquez and suddenly he's yesterday's old trash? I don't know about anybody else, but I thought the fight was pretty competitive until JMM landed that huge right hand. So does that drop Pacquiao out of the list of today's elite fighters?

He beat who they put in front of him, Brandon Rios. As much as I can't stand the twerp, Rios was still a dangerous opponent for Pac, who was coming off that devastating loss. But Pac acquitted himself quite well, thank you. One can disparage Rios all you want.... it was still a great performance by Pac. And after all... wasn't this about seeing how far along Pac had come back from his KO loss?

We're not talking about David Haye here, who somehow talked his way into a mega-fight with Wladimir...... stunk up the ring with his non-effort.... and now is clamoring for another title shot right away. This is Pacquiao, who... love him or hate him.... had earned his lofty place among boxing's elite.

So instead of asking "why"..... I'd ask "why not".

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm not saying he's yesterday's trash - clearly he's still one of boxing's elite.

But securing a fight with boxing's undisputed #1, a guy with whom you will earn more than you ever have in your entire career, is a big deal that should be afforded to only the most relevant challengers, and a guy who's 1-2 in his last 3 fights shouldn't qualify.

It's all about momentum. Timothy Bradley is undefeated with wins (however controversial) over several top 10 p4p guys in his last few fights. You have Marcos Maidana with huge momentum after beating Broner's ass. You've got Danny Garcia who has expressed interest in moving up. You've got Lara at 154 if Floyd wants to stay there. These are guys who have momentum.

Pac needs to gain momentum and prove to the world he's still the fighter he once was. We've never seen him get dropped and KTFO like he did in the JMM fight since early in his career. And I'm sorry, a win over Brandon Rios, a glorified blown up LW, just ain't going to cut it.

Lets see him take on one of those guys mentioned before he talks about Floyd.

And before someone brings up Khan, yeah I agree 100% that's a pointless fight too.

El Kabong Guest

Who is making that argument?

The win vs Rios just shows that Pac's chin and psyche wasn't completely shattered by that KO he suffered at the hands of JMM.

People want to see Pac vs Floyd because they are 2 of the most famous fighters in the game at the moment...it's a fact.

That and also people always ALWAYS want what they can't have

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Beanflicker View Post
    I'm not saying he's yesterday's trash - clearly he's still one of boxing's elite.

But securing a fight with boxing's undisputed #1, a guy with whom you will earn more than you ever have in your entire career, is a big deal that should be afforded to only the most relevant challengers, and a guy who's 1-2 in his last 3 fights shouldn't qualify.

It's all about momentum. Timothy Bradley is undefeated with wins (however controversial) over several top 10 p4p guys in his last few fights. You have Marcos Maidana with huge momentum after beating Broner's ass. You've got Danny Garcia who has expressed interest in moving up. You've got Lara at 154 if Floyd wants to stay there. These are guys who have momentum.

Pac needs to gain momentum and prove to the world he's still the fighter he once was. We've never seen him get dropped and KTFO like he did in the JMM fight since early in his career. And I'm sorry, a win over Brandon Rios, a glorified blown up LW, just ain't going to cut it.

Lets see him take on one of those guys mentioned before he talks about Floyd.

And before someone brings up Khan, yeah I agree 100% that's a pointless fight too.

It's not like there's a conga line of super-qualified opponents lining up ahead of Pac. Of the ones you mentioned, yeah... I'd put Danny Garcia in the mix for a Floyd fight. Why not? Maidana as well. Bradley just doesn't float my boat..... never has. The guy scores a dominating, convincing, non-controversial win as often as Halley's comet flies by Earth. I'd eliminate Lara, simply because I don't think Floyd's gonna want to campaign at 154 indefinitely, and risk his "0" at this stage of his career. So who's left? Momentum..... so how many fighters does Pac need to fight before qualifying for a fight against Floyd? See... I just don't buy that. Pac didn't look gun-shy or limited against "punching bag" Rios, whereas he could have. Had he looked anything less than the Pac we've always been accustomed to.... I'd probably agree with you. But I think you gotta give Pac credit, regardless of who the opponent was.

It's all pointless, anyway. Floyd won't fight Pac because of the Arum presence, which is just another way of saying that the fight that should've happened years ago will never happen anyway.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sick of everyone saying that pac has past it.

Pac fought the same way against marquez 4 times already.

How can anyone make out pac isnt the fighter he was without saying that floyd and marquez arent the fighters they were.

Pac beats the majority of all welterweights today with the exception of any smart fighters that bob likes to keep him clear from.

I mean come on, even though pac was knocked down twice in the 4th marquez fight he was the same old pac and doing quite well..pac was supposed to win that 4th fight after the abuse he took from the 3rd one.

1.Floyd
    2.Bradley
    3.Garcia
    4. Marquez
    5. Pac

The only person floyd SHOULD be fighting next is bradley but if he doesnt (as its khan) then theres no way he fights any other top rank fighter..he never has. He never wil!

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

All they will mention in the mayweather/khan all access will be khans speed. Thats the big selling point.

Such a shame the fans miss out on a bradley fight as bradley imho deserves this more than anyone.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

For marketing purposes. Yeah. In reality, I think many of us know better. It depends on who/what the fans believe. If its about money and making a megafight, sure pack is back and more importantly the Fight everyones been waiting for is worth the money. If its history, well.. history says an aging fighter that was knocked senseless is probably on the way down, not the way up and always a hard shot away from history repeating itself. We take everything into account including what we hope is true.

In the best case scenario, Pac and freddy went about it the right way. They took the time off... got back in the gym, signed to a confidence building fight over someone who would be a good workout but not terribly dangerous. You fix the fighters head first, then the body. (still there's not much you can do physiologically for the concussions). Too many fighters jump back in there with a dangerous opponent trying to prove nothing happened to them but somewhere deep down, doubt lurks no matter what kind of condition the body is in.

So, many fans will take this and run with it as a sign that pac is back. The good plan shows them familiar traces of the pac they know and wishful thinking is taking them the rest of the way. It doesn't mean it cant happen. But Age is and always will be the inconvenient truth in the life of an aging fighter and history is the 800 lb gorilla in the room that noone wants to see. It helps for people to know that time catches up with every fighter. Even Floyd Mayweather. So Pac isn't the only aging fighter in the equation. Just my opinion, I could be wrong.
    They want your @$$ beat because upsets make news. News brings about excitement, excitement brings about ratings. The objective is to bring you up to the tower and tear your @$$ down. And if you don't believe that, you're crazy.

Roy Jones, Jr. "What I've Learned," Esquire 2003

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You get so many people say the fight should have taken place when pac was better or many years ago but floyd was better years ago as well!

I really believe that IF manny pac fought marquez after oscar none of this hype stuff would ever have happened.

Manny would have fought marquez the same way and the fight would have been the same as the first two.

Does manny get props for beating margarito and cotto? Of course he does. But then you could put forward an arguement of the catchweight and both fighters coming of losses.

Theres always an excuse for everything but to say manny doesnt deserve a shot against floyd is unfair BUT he should get the fight AFTER bradley.

But a manny fight makes more money so its a pathetic circle of lies and no committment.
    Last edited by imp; 12-24-2013 at 10:20 PM. Reason: Forward

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by imp View Post
    You get so many people say the fight should have taken place when pac was better or many years ago but floyd was better years ago as well!

I really believe that IF manny pac fought marquez after oscar none of this hype stuff would ever have happened.

Manny would have fought marquez the same way and the fight would have been the same as the first two.

Does manny get props for beating margarito and cotto? Of course he does. But then you could put forward an arguement of the catchweight and both fighters coming of losses.

Theres always an excuse for everything but to say manny doesnt deserve a shot against floyd is unfair BUT he should get the fight AFTER bradley.

But a manny fight makes more money so its a pathetic circle of lies and no committment.
    I agree for the most part and that's a solid post. I do think Manny has slipped but that's almost not relevant. I mean Leonard knew that Duran was having cutting issues and he made the rematch happen 6 months after the first. That is a long time to be starched.

Agree on Bradley but Floyd is an odd duck. He probably thinks Timmy does not deserve it because he robbed Manny and he did. Add to that going life and death with Provo and still not able to draw a crowd at a mall and its not on Floyds radar. It would be different if Floyd made decisions based on something other then business. Like say legacy.

Floyd may not have the legs to fight off the back foot like he used to and inch out the ring but imo he's a better fighter and more complete boxer today then he has ever been.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Can someone explain this to me? All I've seen over the past few weeks is people talking about Mayweather/Pacquiao, like we're still in 2010.

How does beat Rios get Manny back to the level he once was? Rios was an undersized, slow, hand-picked patsy coming off of a loss. Rios was chosed because he was a slow plodder that Manny has historically had a field day with, but unlike guys like Margarito he was an undersized WW who didn't have the strength or power to really bother Pac.

Am I crazy for thinking that Pac should be looking to rack up a REAL win or two before he's even mentioned in the same breath as Mayweather?
    Do you know how much Rios and Pac weighed in day of the fight? I'm just curious.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Pac was 150 lbs. Rios is 159 lbs.
    9 lbs advantage for Rios. The Threadstarter mentioning Rios as being undersized LOL!
    [SIGPIC]
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yea you're crazy!

There is no convincing people like you. Anybody who don't want to see this fight is fucking stoopid!!! PERIOD. And yes you don't deserve an explanation because you are clearly a fucktard to not what to see this fight.

Fuck you and fuck this stoooopid thread

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Considering how a lot of people even questioned whether or not manny will be the same fighter, yea, id say beating rios is an accomplishment.. not only did he beat rios, but he dominated.... I dont care if manny had a stylistical advantage or whatever, nobody has schooled rios the way he did.... richard abril dont count cuz he ran like a bitch.

Pac may not fight with the same fire but he added something new to his game.. he's not as wreckless and he boxes more.. I see a patient fighter...

Punkass floyd needs to fight him

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I mean i guess he can get the fight it most likely will be one sided as shit Mayweather is Jmm only million times better but Pac is a star though just leave Arum and he can get it. Pac could also rematch Bradley controversial lose but still i think he want to avenge it that's what Jmm did.

Thread Information