Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mauricio Herrera is Danny Garcia's next fight?!?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Mauricio Herrera is Danny Garcia's next fight?!?

Come on. Really? With all the talent around, that has to be joke. No intention of slamming Herrera, but just this is a HUGE step back on Garcia's trajectory. Will anyone even watch this fight?

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Mauricio Herrera is Danny Garcia's next fight?!?

Agreed 100%. This is what makes being a UFC fan much more satisfying, because boxing "match making" makes no sense.

Garcia gets the win of his career against a guy most thought would steamroll him, he's hotter than ever, and how do they follow it up? He fights Herrera, who most have never heard or seen of. What the fuck?

In another thread I'm reading that Kovalev is being booked to fight some other asshole instead of Stevenson. What?!? You had the two guys fighting on the same card to set up the fight, both produced spectacular performances and are as hot as ever, and…. now they're fighting other guys before they fight? What?!?

I remember waiting in anticipation for the huge Gamboa/Juanma showdown… they played the shit where they wait and look what happened, Juanma went to shit and it got blown.

And of course now Mayweather, the #1 p4p in the world, is probably going to be fighting Khan?!?

Boxing can go fuck itself. I hope all these pointless fights lose money so boxing promoters have to stop giving us bullshit and cut right to the good stuff that the public wants.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Beanflicker View Post
    Agreed 100%. This is what makes being a UFC fan much more satisfying, because boxing "match making" makes no sense.

Garcia gets the win of his career against a guy most thought would steamroll him, he's hotter than ever, and how do they follow it up? He fights Herrera, who most have never heard or seen of. What the fuck?

In another thread I'm reading that Kovalev is being booked to fight some other asshole instead of Stevenson. What?!? You had the two guys fighting on the same card to set up the fight, both produced spectacular performances and are as hot as ever, and…. now they're fighting other guys before they fight? What?!?

I remember waiting in anticipation for the huge Gamboa/Juanma showdown… they played the shit where they wait and look what happened, Juanma went to shit and it got blown.

And of course now Mayweather, the #1 p4p in the world, is probably going to be fighting Khan?!?

Boxing can go fuck itself. I hope all these pointless fights lose money so boxing promoters have to stop giving us bullshit and cut right to the good stuff that the public wants.
    Agree. I dont like the UFC but there setup is so much better. Its down to it being a monopoly, 1 promoter decides everything and that promoter is a fan of the sport. Youd have great boxing cards week in week out if the same was true for boxing

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Lamont Peterson and Danny Garcia is a unification fight and they are promoted by the same promoter. I understand if Garcia doesn't want to move up in weight until he cleans out the division (same with GGG), but I don't see any point in facing Herrera. It's a big step back in competition.

With Kovalev and Stevenson, I somewhat understand if they are planning to fight in the fall. I get that to an extent. Build the fight up a little bit more. I would also understand if Garcia was moving up in weight and wanted a little bit of an easier touch at 147 before jumping in with the top welterweights, but they're also fighting at 140? I don't understand the logic.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This is such a lame fight. Talk about limp.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Silkeyjoe View Post
    Its down to it being a monopoly, 1 promoter decides everything and that promoter is a fan of the sport.
    That's true too, and it's a big reason why I'd support a group like Goldenboy taking over boxing and having all the best fighters under one roof.

To me there's also a different mentality with boxing promoters, they remind me almost of traveling carnies, just trying to squeeze every dime out of every stop as possible with no real thought or need to build up anything, just on to the next stop to squeeze out more $$$.

And it's partly our fault too, because we've been conditioned to swallow shit and ask for seconds by decades of lame matchmaking.

That's all this is. Danny's hot right now, hot enough where they can squeeze a few dimes out of an inferior matchup, so that's what their going to do.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

At least there are some decent fights on the card
    Cold Heart and a Weak Mind

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It's not that bad of a fight. Herrera is the one who took Provodnikov 0. And without much difficulty. His fight with Alvarado was one of the best of 2012. Herrera can fight. I don't expect him to win. But he ain't just gonna lay down for Garcia either. He'll be competitive.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Beanflicker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Silkeyjoe View Post
    Its down to it being a monopoly, 1 promoter decides everything and that promoter is a fan of the sport.
    That's true too, and it's a big reason why I'd support a group like Goldenboy taking over boxing and having all the best fighters under one roof.

To me there's also a different mentality with boxing promoters, they remind me almost of traveling carnies, just trying to squeeze every dime out of every stop as possible with no real thought or need to build up anything, just on to the next stop to squeeze out more $$$.

And it's partly our fault too, because we've been conditioned to swallow shit and ask for seconds by decades of lame matchmaking.

That's all this is. Danny's hot right now, hot enough where they can squeeze a few dimes out of an inferior matchup, so that's what their going to do.
    I think the worst scenario would be all or nothing under a single rule but agree on the urgency and want. Promoters have that now with decent stables of talent but instead of making statements and rising above in house we still get a boiled down version and Gary Russell jr blowing out a flyweight tomorrow night..etc etc. The fact is, this sport needs some cannon fodder. Its business and you need competition and rivals as there are just way too many boxers to try to have some dictatorship. The 'best vs best' is always in flux and in rotation with upsets and "WHOTF is that guy". Journeymen and lesser knowns have FOTY canidates too. Had Danny not just beat a Matthysse this would be a bigger terd but as long as no pattern of padding exist, its tolerable. Not desired, but tolerable. There are complete shameful mismatches..and then there are tune ups. I mean even a Kovalev didn't beat a best of best to merit the demand vs Stevenson. It is more HOW he steamrolls people. He is must see tv who was given a shot from obscurity.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

There's a lot to be said for the UFC method of matching the best against the best but it's easy to do that when you've got everybody under contract. Boxing is always going to be like this as promoters have to make money and I think Golden Boy here are seeing if they can build Garcia's fanbase a little by putting him on in PR and reminding Puerto Ricans that he's Puerto Rican. Cotto manages to sell out MSG and be a big PPV draw due to his Puerto Rican fanbase and Garcia doesn't draw flies by comparison so they're probably just trying to market him with this fight, plus GBP are now making a promotional agreement with Puerto Rican Best Boxing who have fallen out with Arum, so it's a long term move for them as well.

I actually don't mind this card at all. The main event will be an action fight and you've got two much better undercard fights than you generally see on a Top Rank bill.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkland Laing View Post
    There's a lot to be said for the UFC method of matching the best against the best but it's easy to do that when you've got everybody under contract. Boxing is always going to be like this as promoters have to make money and I think Golden Boy here are seeing if they can build Garcia's fanbase a little by putting him on in PR and reminding Puerto Ricans that he's Puerto Rican. Cotto manages to sell out MSG and be a big PPV draw due to his Puerto Rican fanbase and Garcia doesn't draw flies by comparison so they're probably just trying to market him with this fight, plus GBP are now making a promotional agreement with Puerto Rican Best Boxing who have fallen out with Arum, so it's a long term move for them as well.

I actually don't mind this card at all. The main event will be an action fight and you've got two much better undercard fights than you generally see on a Top Rank bill.
    Fighting in Puerto Rico makes 100% sense to build your fan base, and I agree with that part of the move, but he's taking an easy, showcase opponent. Why take a showcase fight when you beat the boogeyman in the division in your last fight? Onward and upward?

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Rantcatrat View Post

Fighting in Puerto Rico makes 100% sense to build your fan base, and I agree with that part of the move, but he's taking an easy, showcase opponent. Why take a showcase fight when you beat the boogeyman in the division in your last fight? Onward and upward?
    Who else is there at 140? Herrera comes to fight, right? It'll be an all-action fight for as long as it lasts and they obviously expect Garcia to make a big statement. I think it's fair to give Garcia a relatively easy fight after his last outing too.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Rantcatrat View Post

Who else is there at 140? Herrera comes to fight, right? It'll be an all-action fight for as long as it lasts and they obviously expect Garcia to make a big statement. I think it's fair to give Garcia a relatively easy fight after his last outing too.
    There are better fights at 140 that than Herrera. Lamont Peterson comes to mind with his recent win over Jean, and it's a unification fight for whatever that's worth, even Jean himself is higher ranked. Herrera isn't even ranked in the top ten at the weight class. Sure he'll make a big statement, but what kind of statement? That he can beat Herrera? No one expects him to lose.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What would he do though, Peterson, the date is in 6 weeks? Had he not fought Jean (comeback off that crushing KO loss) would anyone want to see Peterson vs Garcia. Its not all fighters picking fighters, the networks pull the strings and offer the rides.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Only reason this event is tolerable is because of the undercards. Otherwise this main event is criminal.

I agree with you Rant, this fight sucks bigtime.. herrera may be tough but that is all he is, a tough stepping stone, gatekeeper for the up n comers.. Danny is so beyond that level now this fight is bizarre..

Herrera's supporters are keep using the Provodnikov victory as some kind of measuring stick lol but the way I see it , he fougth the fight of his life against provodnikov who was having a bad night.. he probably wasnt motivated enough, or simply did not take herrera seriously, but whatever happened, I know herrera would never beat prov again.. he was just fortunate first time around..

This is why GBP decided to stack the card that even features wilder in a step up bout.. schafer knows as well as the fans that herrera dont cut it and a regular doubleheader wouldve been bad for rating...

U combine this shitty main event with juana-Deleon, a fight with a good story behind it, plus wilder-scott, and it's a decent card..

Thread Information