Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Kovalev vs. Ward...

I don't know what the heck HBO is doing, but Ward needs to fight. Kovalev?
    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think HBO has Ward vs the LHWs in mind but on the back burner while they fight each other 1st. Adonis and Kovalev bring great ratings, I don't think they want anything tripping that up. Not that Ward would surely win against either but he certainly could.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Kovalev vs. Ward...

Why Kovalev and Stevenson would be fighting anyone other than each other is beyond me.

How could you ask for a better set up than what we have? Both guys fought on the same night, destroyed their opponents, so lets make that fight.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Agreed. Ward needs to find somebody to fight in the meantime, but if Kovalev-Stevenson does indeed happen, his moving up to fight the winner would be a big deal. The winner of Hopkins-Shumenov might want first dibs on that though, who knows. Even at 175 there aren't really any great opponents for Ward outside of those 4, he's in a tough spot.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ward should stick at super middleweight and show Froch, Groves et al how it should really be done.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The short sightedness of boxing fans will never cease to amaze me.

Kovalev and Stevenson are so great because they haven't fought and destroyed each other yet. Let them fight a few times and look devastating with their wins--let them make you some money and generate some hype with more than just die hard boxing fans before you cash them in for the big money fight against each other.

If you put Stevenson against Kovalev in April and Kovalev destroys Stevenson(or vice versa) what happens next? Who do they fight? How do they make themselves and their network any money?

You have to plan the career and groom the big fights with purpose.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ruthless rocco View Post

Kovalev and Stevenson are so great because they haven't fought and destroyed each other yet. Let them fight a few times and look devastating with their wins--let them make you some money and generate some hype with more than just die hard boxing fans before you cash them in for the big money fight against each other.

If you put Stevenson against Kovalev in April and Kovalev destroys Stevenson(or vice versa) what happens next? Who do they fight? How do they make themselves and their network any money?

I hear you, but this way of thinking absolutely ruined a Gamboa vs. Juanma super fight a few years ago.

When its time, its time.
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Hulk View Post

I hear you, but this way of thinking absolutely ruined a Gamboa vs. Juanma super fight a few years ago.

When its time, its time.
    I loved watching Juanma get destroyed by Salido (TWICE!!!)... and chances are he would have been destroyed by Gamboa in a similar manner but there would have been no rematch because Juanma was supposed to beat Salido. So we got two exciting and unexpected ass whoopings instead of one. How can that be bad??

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I've come around to this thinking lately. Way too many puffed up mega stars turn in a softy. But the great intrique here are the styles . Both can cave heads and it makes us jacked for it. We're talking guys who..much more so with Kovalev..was being labeled a one deminsional bomber riding Unimas and Fox cards. Wrongly it turns out ...These two in particular deserve a ride. The thing is if its "super" then super happens! If during the build up and expanding base a 'favorite' gets legitimately sparked then SO BE IT. That avenue in and of itself opens up a huge part of boxings attraction and draw...interest and new blood! Thanks for not wasting my time and focus if you couldn't live up to the chatter! Gamboa v Lopez is actually a good example...both fell off and at the end of the day through no ones fault but there own, and Salido maybe. Just enjoy the damn ride and the cream rises to the top.
    Last edited by Spicoli; 02-09-2014 at 09:29 AM.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Ward should stick at super middleweight and show Froch, Groves et al how it should really be done.
    But we know he would do the same thing to Froch what he did the first time, and Groves def ain't on that level of Ward- he just had a great night against Froch.

Ward needs to fight, and unless he makes a catchweight downwards to fight Quillin/GGG/Martinez, the only option is upwards- Kovalev or Stevenson. He already beat Dawson, as weight drained Dawson. Stevenson destroyed a hydrated Dawson in the first round. If anyone that has a call up card for Ward it's Stevenson.

Hopkins said he will duck Ward at all cost. Pascal and Bute can fill in for the time being, but Bute will (and should) take softer fights until he gets his confidence back up. Pascal can be game... he was ringside at the Dawson beating by Stevenson, and he beat Dawson before Ward did.

Pascal and Steveson make perfect sense for a Ward match-up. We can believe in these fights and they can become mega fights if they package it properly.... and stop trying to short-change Ward.

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I do agree here. This is why the Thurman/Garcia showdown, which we all expect, won't happen this year and most likely will be a build up for 2015. Mid 2015. Broner was in that mix but lost out....

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i would like for ward to fight the winner of bhop/shumenov and then the winner of that fights the winner of kovalev/stevenson. ward should take a tune up fight at 175 first though. maybe pascal?

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Hulk View Post

When its time, its time.
    I loved watching Juanma get destroyed by Salido (TWICE!!!)... and chances are he would have been destroyed by Gamboa in a similar manner but there would have been no rematch because Juanma was supposed to beat Salido. So we got two exciting and unexpected ass whoopings instead of one. How can that be bad??

I too would have picked Gamboa and I too enjoyed the Salido upset victories in Puerto Rico.

However, a Gamboa vs. Lopez showdown would have been something special. Now it means jack shit.
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by powerpuncher View Post
    i would like for ward to fight the winner of bhop/shumenov and then the winner of that fights the winner of kovalev/stevenson. ward should take a tune up fight at 175 first though. maybe pascal?
    Pascal may not be a tune up, exactly... lololol.... but he can get a tune up.

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ykdadamaja View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by powerpuncher View Post
    Pascal may not be a tune up, exactly... lololol.... but he can get a tune up.
    pascal isnt that great. it would be an easy fight for ward. that is why i consider it a tune up for him. plus, pascal came up from 168 so he would be fighting a smaller LHW to get used to the weight.

Thread Information