Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default *VIDEO* sparring advice

[youtube]<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/X4XKSpqPJ9A?list=UUTFBviI3YfCXahhfGcqoiXA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[youtube]

I was doing some situational sparring with a friend. I was hoping you could give me some advice. I was working on using my jab and footwork while my opponent was looking to work on the inside. Inside fighting is a weakness of mine (among many), so hopefully I can get some tips. Sorry the video cuts out a tad early.

Thanks!

*EDIT: Tried to embed the video. Couldn't do it. I'm a rookie at this. Sorry. Here's the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbxoH...fCXahhfGcqoiXA
    Last edited by God.in.my.corner; 03-14-2014 at 06:50 AM.

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: *VIDEO* sparring advice

Which one are you?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Haha. See, I'm a true rookie.

I've got the red headgear and grey shirt.

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

A lot of people would tell you to keep your left up, to keep a higher guard. I don't subscribe to that belief, but you do have a tendency to drop your hands and punch from the waist. You are too square up to do that; turn sideways. Get your left hip and shoulder up front. And keep your right hand home. The huge majority of your defensive work is done by the right hand, ideally. It catches the jab and it blocks the hook, the right elbow protects the body. Also, if you keep the right hand home, you can shoot it when you punch.
    You also have a tendency to walk forward after your right hand, to bring your right foot up, like a baseball pitcher, you know? That will get you hit really hard- watch Tyson v Botha.
    Finally, you could be much better inside very easily. First, get more sideways, the left shoulder and hip into your opponent. That vastly improves your defensive position. Second, throw your left hook. I can guarantee you that, in the not to distant future, you'll be asking why you can't land a left hook. Watch the video you just posted. You are in position many times to put the hook into the body and you don't throw the punch.
    Last, the guy you were working with seems to know a bit about fighting. He gave you good work. That is very valuable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by greynotsoold View Post
    A lot of people would tell you to keep your left up, to keep a higher guard. I don't subscribe to that belief, but you do have a tendency to drop your hands and punch from the waist. You are too square up to do that; turn sideways. Get your left hip and shoulder up front. And keep your right hand home. The huge majority of your defensive work is done by the right hand, ideally. It catches the jab and it blocks the hook, the right elbow protects the body. Also, if you keep the right hand home, you can shoot it when you punch.
    You also have a tendency to walk forward after your right hand, to bring your right foot up, like a baseball pitcher, you know? That will get you hit really hard- watch Tyson v Botha.
    Finally, you could be much better inside very easily. First, get more sideways, the left shoulder and hip into your opponent. That vastly improves your defensive position. Second, throw your left hook. I can guarantee you that, in the not to distant future, you'll be asking why you can't land a left hook. Watch the video you just posted. You are in position many times to put the hook into the body and you don't throw the punch.
    Last, the guy you were working with seems to know a bit about fighting. He gave you good work. That is very valuable.
    Thanks for the feedback. I knew that I dropped my right when I jabbed and moved, and I thought my hands were in a decent position... Any higher seems awkward. Hard to punch from.

Too square huh? I'm surprised at that. But I trust what you say. I'm sure that explains a lot of my problems. I get hit with right hands A LOT! Looping ones. Do you think this explains it even more? When correcting the problem, should my back hip and should almost be "hid" by my opponent? Right now, my opponent can see them, they are just "back".

And with the feet. I assume the toe and heel should ideally be on a straight line. Where do you favor the lead toe and rear toe pointing? I usually have the lead toe pointing at 1 o'clock and the rear toe pointing about 2 o'clock if the toes were hands on a clock.

Do you think my head movement was ok, or was much of it "unnecessary" and better left to footwork

Thanks again.

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by God.in.my.corner View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by greynotsoold View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. I knew that I dropped my right when I jabbed and moved, and I thought my hands were in a decent position... Any higher seems awkward. Hard to punch from.

Too square huh? I'm surprised at that. But I trust what you say. I'm sure that explains a lot of my problems. I get hit with right hands A LOT! Looping ones. Do you think this explains it even more? When correcting the problem, should my back hip and should almost be "hid" by my opponent? Right now, my opponent can see them, they are just "back".

And with the feet. I assume the toe and heel should ideally be on a straight line. Where do you favor the lead toe and rear toe pointing? I usually have the lead toe pointing at 1 o'clock and the rear toe pointing about 2 o'clock if the toes were hands on a clock.

Do you think my head movement was ok, or was much of it "unnecessary" and better left to footwork

Thanks again.
    It is much easier to punch with the left hand when it is at the level of you chest. The right hand should come off your chin; you keep it there to defend yourself, and you shoot it from there. If you are going to throw a right uppercut or go to the body with it, turn and dip your body. that way, your shoulders protect you. Do you see?
    Yeah, you get hit with right hands because you are too square. This goes to the foot position as well. Pointing your left toe to 1 is one thing but...To get it there, rotate your left side, your leg and hip and shoulder. Not just your foot. Point your right toe as directly towards your opponent as is comfortable for you.
    As far as head movement, be purposeful with it. A lot of guys are just bouncing their heads around and thinking they are doing something. There is nothing random in boxing. You put your head in a position where the other guy thinks he can hit it. This makes him punch. Then you make him miss, move into the space created and counter. You don't just move your head with the hopes that it will make you hard to hit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I would have never thought my feet contributed to me being hit with the right hands. So if you were teaching someone, would you advocate both feet facing towards your opponent? This is really going to take

So basically you would do this:

1. Stand as you normal would
    2. Take a normal step forward with the lead leg
    3. Turn the hips where the shoulder is leading
    4. The feet stay the same position with no rotation

Is that sort of what it is?

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Watching the video, my 1st thoughts what are they playing at. You are the bigger guy, you should be in defensive mode, not letting him, restrict his work. Try in the circumstances work on defense and trying to set Him up, without hitting Him. Learn.
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by God.in.my.corner View Post
    I would have never thought my feet contributed to me being hit with the right hands. So if you were teaching someone, would you advocate both feet facing towards your opponent? This is really going to take

So basically you would do this:

1. Stand as you normal would
    2. Take a normal step forward with the lead leg
    3. Turn the hips where the shoulder is leading
    4. The feet stay the same position with no rotation

Is that sort of what it is?
    When you rotate your left leg inward, it brings your shoulder around in front. Your left foot ends up at about a 45 degree angle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Footwork , You Step into the right hand been thrown. If you got Countered you would be flat footed square on and be in trubble. Try keep your correct stance when throwing it ( Will also generate more power) . 2nd round he was chasing you and you went back in a straight line to the ropes. Try Piviting round before or when your back hit the ropes and turn him onto the ropes then you have 2 options.. 1) throw some punches with him backed up on the ropes. 2) make some space, take the center of the ring and reset.

Keep it up!

Thread Information