Good enough fight. Herrera is a hustler. To be honest, I am still like ''who the f is this guy?'' but I did decide to watch his fight vs Provodnikov (wow I actually spelled his name right!!) and quickly realised that maybe we'd all been sleeping on him. He's a problem for anyone with a brain (Ricky Hatton would fuck him up!!) Almost a Collazo of his division. Definitely has a power deficiency but he knows who he is and sticks to his game plan immaculately.

This fight was obviously some sort of pseudo home-coming fight for young Danny who I feel was putting himself under undue pressure to impress a crowd he may not necessarily love as much as those he's used to fighting for. You have to wonder if that sort of situation can give a young man an identity complex.

As if Puerto Ricans don't suffer this enough already (JUST JOKING TITO!! )

I do wonder though, not just for the obvious reasons. If young Danny's heart was in this one. To me, he seems to be a heart on his sleeve type of guy.

Anyway, not to take anything away from Herrera who fought a great fight.
Didn't win a great win (that doesn't make sense, I know), it was a close fight and I'd be happy to score it either way IMO but Herrera definitely impressed me more, particularly with the way HE was mostly able to dictate terms in the ring - EVEN MORE particularly with what he was doing with his jab to Danny's middle. Uses it like a real pro. For 6 rounds, Danny didn't really know how to deal with it and certainly didn't have an answer for it and had to wait for spots where Herrera was feinting it to decide what to do with himself, then before you knew it Hererra was inside like a flash making a mess of Danny's thought process.

I mean Danny wasn't completely inept, infact he got off to a fairly decent start, taking the first two rounds on my card with cleaner, harder punching. However, you could see that this was becoming a mental fight - cat and mouse - that Danny became frustrated with (or maybe didn't want no part of? #Bothered? #shouldhavebeen #notreallythough #imsamwatsonsboy).

Round 7 was a bit of a crucial point of the fight contextually as Danny finally decided that doing his best to keep at long range from Herrera, took the game plan away from Herrera who suddenly looked a little more his status and a lot more straightforward in his own approach.

The movement needn't be as excessive as it was, seemed a bit panicked IMO - maybe as it was a seemingly negative move in a situation where he was probably already aware that he was being made to look bad, whatever the current score was. But none the less, the angles were open for Danny to score with a ratio more in his favour than was previously the case, and without less unwanted interruption bar a couple of shots that had him having to fight his way back from under-pressure by the end of round 9. I did winder if this would take the momentum away from him.

Going in to the last quarter of the fight, I wanted Danny to finish strongly. He did everything well in the 10th, made the best of the 11th despite his tactical regression and inability to see that he was being baited in by Herrea who at times during the last three, did a very good impression of a brawler and put Danny under a lot of pressure particularly in the final round where Herrera finished incredibly strong. Looks bad for the champion when he doesn't win the last.

116-112 was too wide in my book but no complaints if I was rooting for Herrera. I had it a draw. But definitely the moral victory was for Herrera who has to be considered as one of the best at 140. I would never call it a robbery but I would say that Danny has to be careful with his tactics because if the fight was scored on ring generalship alone, he'd have to get used to being a challenger because he was searching for obvious answers for far too long in that fight.