Thread: im getting a dog.. educate me about them

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If you are thinking about getting a dog on a whim, forget it man, you and the dog will wind up miserable.
    Dogs take a lot of time and money, you need a vet, you need a place with a yard (dogs live through their noses), you have to train them if you want to have company over or take them out to visit or for a walk.
    The biggest problem is time, it's like having a child. Dogs are social animals, as much or more than humans. If you don't give them the time they need they can be destructive (digging holes, chewing up plants and scratching doors) and annoying (barking, barking and barking).
    If you have a big yard, two dogs are better as they can play together, plus you won't feel so guilty when life happens and you can't give them the time they deserve.
    Don't forget about the expense of food, toys, a warm place to sleep at night and the all important poop scupper.
    If it sounds like I'm trying to talk you out of getting a dog, I am. It's a big responsibility that pays off with big rewards. If you work at home or are retired, life can be sweet for you and the dog.
    One other thing, after you get the dog you want and do everything right, you'll set down one day and realize that you have only spent a fraction of the time you should have with your dog for that week. So if you are willing to think bad thoughts about yourself once in a while go ahead and get that dog, it's great to have a buddy around all the time.
    I've had dogs for years so I forgot to mention something basic for a new or relative new owner, a book about preparing yourself and your home for a dog.
    Last edited by beenKOed; 03-20-2014 at 07:37 AM.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: im getting a dog.. educate me about them

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    It's only a dog bruh lol.
    I just want to raise one cuz I feel like it's therapeutic for me
    I wonder how they are under adversity.. can they fight?

I suggest you try to run a bath before you buy a dog.
    Lol as my morning coffee exits my nostrils from laughing so hard.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Dogs cost you a heap when you decide to travel as well eventually they stop you going far for long and they are a future medical liability, unless you are country minded and more heartless and can think of it as livestock and not a loved one you want to save and can execute it yourself when the time comes.
    Feed them filtered water not fluoride stuff. Raw meat and raw veg if you want them living healthy and longer, bit of dry food but its a mistake to feed them on just dry,it isnt natural and they pay eventually,does them good to keep them a touch hungry at times just control their weight right dont spoil them with bullshit.
    If you feed them the correct diet their shit disappears faster into the ground too, think of what they'd catch out in the wild feed them raw meat with a touch of grated up veg raw like what would be inside the animal they caught.Water down dry food slightly so they dont breathe in the finer bits from it every day as well cause thats a problem specially for shorter snouted dogs.
    Last edited by Andre; 03-21-2014 at 08:50 PM.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You guys provided some good information and im starting to think twice about an aggressive breed..

Im swinging towards a Labrador now and my girl thinks that is a better choice too..

I realize that raising a dog is not much different than looking out for a person but I have that all planned out..

My girl raised dogs all her life at her parents house... she loves dogs and knows how to take care of them so I got that covered.. plus she doesnt work so she will get to spend a lot of time with the booboo u nam sayin..

When I come home at nights, I jog anyways so that will be the time to get the doggie some exercise.

Just picturing me jogging Rocky style with Lassie next to me.. its going to be quite a picture..

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

When you put on the Halloween mask and turn off all the lights and play mister Crowley by Ozzie osbourne, you have to fuck the dog violently

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

How 'bout a boxer?
    You can have matching James Dean jackets when you go out on your morning jogs.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I was going to suggest a boxer too. Thick as shit they are.
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You sound like you should be suited to a chiwawa type dog......Ugly little runt who poops very small poopies....but talks a load of shite!!!!!

Job Biscuit (Peasent)!!!

eh eh!!
    It's nice to see you to see you nice

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Or get yerself a pot plant and try and keep that alive first...if u can do that then maybe u could get yerself a toy dog and try looking after that

Job Biscuit (any toy dog will do)!!!!

eh eh!!!
    It's nice to see you to see you nice

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by FinitoElDinamita View Post
    You guys provided some good information and im starting to think twice about an aggressive breed..

Im swinging towards a Labrador now and my girl thinks that is a better choice too..

I realize that raising a dog is not much different than looking out for a person but I have that all planned out..

My girl raised dogs all her life at her parents house... she loves dogs and knows how to take care of them so I got that covered.. plus she doesnt work so she will get to spend a lot of time with the booboo u nam sayin..

When I come home at nights, I jog anyways so that will be the time to get the doggie some exercise.

Just picturing me jogging Rocky style with Lassie next to me.. its going to be quite a picture..
    If you get a Lab, look for one from hunting stock. They tend to be smaller (my girl weighs 65lbs) and their instinct to retrieve is very strong. That way, if your girl ever gets mad and starts throwing your stuff out, your dog will bring it all back.

Thread Information