Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Is this the worst era in HW boxing history?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Is this the worst era in HW boxing history?

So max what is that you have to say Haye so great but has no fucking wins worth a shit his best one a 46 year old Holyfeild beat. Lost to the only good fighters he was with Thompson and Wald. Sultan beat a yet again Holyfeild in he mid 40's and had a draw with Austin and lost ever round to Wald. As for Wlad he got beat bad by some of the contenders of the 90's Brewster and Sanders then early in his career lost to Journeyman. He got better but i don't even fell besides Bryde that anyone he beat was better then Sanders was really and he was just another guy back in the 90's era. Ali same height as Brewster and Purtty or what ever his name is his reach is the same as Wlad almost i think he could win it on cuts and just dart in and out he had a lot of speed on Wlad he may not win but his chances are pretty good.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr140 View Post
    So max what is that you have to say Haye so great but has no fucking wins worth a shit his best one a 46 year old Holyfeild beat. Lost to the only good fighters he was with Thompson and Wald. Sultan beat a yet again Holyfeild in he mid 40's and had a draw with Austin and lost ever round to Wald. As for Wlad he got beat bad by some of the contenders of the 90's Brewster and Sanders then early in his career lost to Journeyman. He got better but i don't even fell besides Bryde that anyone he beat was better then Sanders was really and he was just another guy back in the 90's era. Ali same height as Brewster and Purtty or what ever his name is his reach is the same as Wlad almost i think he could win it on cuts and just dart in and out he had a lot of speed on Wlad he may not win but his chances are pretty good.
    In a nutshell...

46 yr old Holyfield is still Holyfield, and Holyfield lost that fight. Losing 2 fights in an entire career to good opponents is a good record, the rest of Haye's opponents were also good opponents. Sultan had a very good if short career, he still BEAT Holyfield, didn't lose to Austin and did alright against Wlad, it's Wlad friggin Klitschko, he doesn't lose rounds to anyone!! Brewster loss was a sham, Wlad was sick, Judd letter is conclusive, rematch showed us the real ending. Sanders was a shock KO loss same as happened to Lewis against McCall, Sanders was aggressive, fast, long southpaw with great power, peculiar circumstances for Wlad who didn't adapt to fast enough, didn't prepare for properly and got caught earrly. Also featured a massive sandwich headbutt to strt the sequence. Sanders ducked rematch afterwards and Wlad pursured belts. Puritty similar story to Thompson vs Haye, old veteral drowned young thletic kid, survived because he had iron chin, hefty weight and experience and had power to finish against gassed out Wlad. Wlad never really ever has been outboxed entire career.

Brewster would have KO'd Ali definitely, Purritty was shit boxer, I think Ali might have UD'd him but even still, Ali never fought an oppoent as heavy+experienced+hard chinned as Ross!! Ali's effective speed (his ability to land and get out) isn't anywhere near as good as Wlad's. Wlad's massive range advantage (his heght and reach combined and long style) and own speed ensures Wlad would win out in nearly every exchange over any version of Ali. Furthermore Wlad could just walk through Ali without getting hurt from one of the most featherfisted HW's of all time KOratio 33%!

Perhaps best way to show is that Ali almost always had both a height advantage + a weight advntage over all opponents whom he beat convincngly. Against Wladimir he is the one who is outsized in both departments. I could go on!!
    "Enough with the games mate! Your messing with the Grand Master!"

Lennox Lewis

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think the worst thing about this era is that non of the contendors ever get round to fighting each other unless it is for the mandatory shot and even then its not guarenteed that it's going to be two good guys fighting... so guys rarely build up an impressive record before they have to fight the klitschko and after they are defeated they fade away S: shame... I think there are quite a few talented guys out there just now

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

In a nutshell...

46 yr old Holyfield is still Holyfield, and Holyfield lost that fight. Losing 2 fights in an entire career to good opponents is a good record, the rest of Haye's opponents were also good opponents. Sultan had a very good if short career, he still BEAT Holyfield, didn't lose to Austin and did alright against Wlad, it's Wlad friggin Klitschko, he doesn't lose rounds to anyone!! Brewster loss was a sham, Wlad was sick, Judd letter is conclusive, rematch showed us the real ending. Sanders was a shock KO loss same as happened to Lewis against McCall, Sanders was aggressive, fast, long southpaw with great power, peculiar circumstances for Wlad who didn't adapt to fast enough, didn't prepare for properly and got caught earrly. Also featured a massive sandwich headbutt to strt the sequence. Sanders ducked rematch afterwards and Wlad pursured belts. Puritty similar story to Thompson vs Haye, old veteral drowned young thletic kid, survived because he had iron chin, hefty weight and experience and had power to finish against gassed out Wlad. Wlad never really ever has been outboxed entire career.

Brewster would have KO'd Ali definitely, Purritty was shit boxer, I think Ali might have UD'd him but even still, Ali never fought an oppoent as heavy+experienced+hard chinned as Ross!! Ali's effective speed (his ability to land and get out) isn't anywhere near as good as Wlad's. Wlad's massive range advantage (his heght and reach combined and long style) and own speed ensures Wlad would win out in nearly every exchange over any version of Ali. Furthermore Wlad could just walk through Ali without getting hurt from one of the most featherfisted HW's of all time KOratio 33%!

Perhaps best way to show is that Ali almost always had both a height advantage + a weight advntage over all opponents whom he beat convincngly. Against Wladimir he is the one who is outsized in both departments. I could go on!!

Lennox Lewis

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

On the Ali topic still Mr140...

Take Jean Marc Mormeck as an example.

This opponent has been ridiculed by Wladimir's critics as being the worst example of trash that Wladimir has ever fought.

Yet he is a 6 time CW champion which in Ali's day translates to a 6 time HW champion!

His weight against Wladimir was among the larger opponents that Ali ever fought, heftier than Spinks, Holmes, Berbick, Norton and Frazier and Liston and only 1lb lighter than George Foreman and even solider than George since he is shorter and in more ripped condition than any of them.

His record and the quality of Mormecks opposition is so much greater than that of Ali's opponents, that should Mormeck have been an opponent of Muhammad Ali back in the 60's or 70's.. And he won, Mormeck could well have been the best opponent that Muhammad Ali ever faced! And would be used as proof of the superiority of the golden era and how good Ali was to have bested such an opponent.

Yet to Wladimir Klitschko this was a complete joke and a mismatch. I hope you understand what I am getting at here!!

Yesterdays heroes... Are todays tomato cans!!

Lennox Lewis

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Not only are we living in the worst HW era but we are living in the shittiest boxing era in general..

There may be some deep divisions like 147 but what's the point when guys arent mixing it up..

And look at all the matchups that are being blocked due to politics.. its fuckjn bullshit.

Only throwback division at the miment is 112... flyweight division!

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by FinitoElDinamita View Post
    Not only are we living in the worst HW era but we are living in the shittiest boxing era in general..

There may be some deep divisions like 147 but what's the point when guys arent mixing it up..

And look at all the matchups that are being blocked due to politics.. its fuckjn bullshit.

Here is another reason why young people are staying away from boxing. How many fighters make any real money? 4 maybe 5 tops. In MLB the lowest you can make is 450,000 dollars per year. That's what they pay rookies. So why would you go into boxing. How many stories are there about a guy who has been champ for years only to retire with nothing. There is nothing to stop a promoter or manage from stealing as much as they want. Larry Bird, Magic Johnson, Michael Jorden, Willie Mays, Hank Aaron still have money. It's very hard to find one fighter who still has money. So If I was a young man I would say fuck boxing. This is why this era is very weak. The world needs a boxing union like all other sports around the world.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by mrbig1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FinitoElDinamita View Post

Here is another reason why young people are staying away from boxing. How many fighters make any real money? 4 maybe 5 tops. In MLB the lowest you can make is 450,000 dollars per year. That's what they pay rookies. So why would you go into boxing. How many stories are there about a guy who has been champ for years only to retire with nothing. There is nothing to stop a promoter or manage from stealing as much as they want. Larry Bird, Magic Johnson, Michael Jorden, Willie Mays, Hank Aaron still have money. It's very hard to find one fighter who still has money. So If I was a young man I would say fuck boxing. This is why this era is very weak. The world needs a boxing union like all other sports around the world.
    There is more money in boxing than ever before you bloody idiot LOL!

That's why guys like you try to criticize their fight rate by saying they are too wealthy now to have to compete all the time..

Which is it? You can't have it both ways

Your failing mate! Your Golden Era.. Is now just the "Olden Era" hahaha =P

Lennox Lewis

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Brother max, You are missing the point. Yes there is more money but how much of it do they keep? Mike Tyson said Don King would charge him 8,000 dollars for towels. There is no way anyone could do that in other sports. In the MLB a agent can only charge 1%. that's the rules. In boxing there is no rules. A manager in boxing can get anywhere from 30 to 50% of a fighters money. If we want to bring back boxing to it's hey day something has to change. In fact Don King wanted to buy a NBA team. The NBA said no fucking way.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
    In a nutshell...

classic maxpower logic

and if you say that ali was feather fisted then you have obviously never watched him fight.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by mrbig1 View Post
    Brother max, You are missing the point. Yes there is more money but how much of it do they keep? Mike Tyson said Don King would charge him 8,000 dollars for towels. There is no way anyone could do that in other sports. In the MLB a agent can only charge 1%. that's the rules. In boxing there is no rules. A manager in boxing can get anywhere from 30 to 50% of a fighters money. If we want to bring back boxing to it's hey day something has to change. In fact Don King wanted to buy a NBA team. The NBA said no fucking way.
    Yeah I do give you that, and I think many things about boxing today in fact do suck so on this line of reason I agree.

But the conclusion that the current division is talentless and that these reasons are scaring kids out of boxing is ludicrous. In fact the argument could be made that today with the emergence of fighter/promoters that they are beginning to care more about the fighters than previous.. Don King and Arum etc excluded of course but these figures would have always existed in boxing.

I think the current scene has problems but I would not want to go back to the days of 15 round featherfist fights, unprepared, unrecovered bum fights monthly etc, that would be rubbish. I'm sure there can be a happy medium!!

I believe a person is going to be a boxer mainly anyway if they have fight in them and are inrtroduced to it by their father/family who like boxing or got caught up with a trainer or other boxers in their area while young, it's inevitable, after a year or 2 boxing while young I would say most would not want to suddenly become interested in basketball or football!! By then, fighting is what they know best. Just a theory.

What I see more often is ppl from OTHER sports, coming to boxing!!!

Lennox Lewis

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by powerpuncher View Post
    In a nutshell...

classic maxpower logic

and if you say that ali was feather fisted then you have obviously never watched him fight.
    Yeah you know what I meant fool.

And I have seen nearly every one of Ali's fights and that's why I am qualified to say with confidence that he is the most overratd fighter of all time and an extreme featherfist.

Ali never ONCE scored what could be described as a proper canvas KO that was not surrounded by some issue like a gas tank related issue or something like a suspect dive.

The opponents that he opened up, forcing stoppage were all SMALLER than him, little Ali!!

Most of his fights were absolute stinkers. Just like Waldomir has produced for us lately.

If you want to compare similarities between past and present fighters, compare them 2.

Both Ali and Wlad were prolific out-tallers and both relied on their height and range as a big part of their style!! And both resorted to wrestling tactics to overcome dangerous circumstances.

The major differences were that Muhammad outweighed most of his opponents whereas Wladimir does not, and Wladimir learned how to keep dangerous opponents at bay where as Muhammad never did and subsequently got hammered.

Lennox Lewis

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ok so you don't excuse a lose on Holyfeild when he is 46 years old but make all excuse for Wlad for his loses. Ali i doubt would be gassed and caught like Wald was he would ud the Journeyman and for Sanders what big win does he really have besides Wald. Ali could beat Wald on cuts his reach is close to Walds if you ever look it up. I am not saying for sure he wins but man you overrate this time worse then any Historian rates the older generations i mean always good now but bad if the other eras do it. You say people overrate the past and while you do the same fucking thing its very hypocritical.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by powerpuncher View Post
    In a nutshell...

classic maxpower logic

Yeah you know what I meant fool.

And I have seen nearly every one of Ali's fights and that's why I am qualified to say with confidence that he is the most overratd fighter of all time and an extreme featherfist.

Ali never ONCE scored what could be described as a proper canvas KO that was not surrounded by some issue like a gas tank related issue or something like a suspect dive.

The opponents that he opened up, forcing stoppage were all SMALLER than him, little Ali!!

Most of his fights were absolute stinkers. Just like Waldomir has produced for us lately.

If you want to compare similarities between past and present fighters, compare them 2.

Both Ali and Wlad were prolific out-tallers and both relied on their height and range as a big part of their style!! And both resorted to wrestling tactics to overcome dangerous circumstances.

The major differences were that Muhammad outweighed most of his opponents whereas Wladimir does not, and Wladimir learned how to keep dangerous opponents at bay where as Muhammad never did and subsequently got hammered.
    what do you mean i know what you meant? maybe i didnt get what you meant. you said that a 46 year old holyfield is still holyfield which isnt at all true.

ali had multiple legit knockdowns against cleveland williams who was 6'3 with a 80' reach (one inch less than wlad) and destroyed him. or the zora folley knockout? have you seen it? he was 6'1. folley couldnt get up. im not saying that ali was a huge knockout puncher and i understand that most of his knockouts came from an accumulation of punches but that still shows that he has power. he knocked out legit competition. feather fisted fighters dont knockout high caliber opponents like ali did.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

All of your points have been address so may times except your fresh view here..

"Ali could beat Wladimir on cuts"

Ha. For a start, Ali's calculated reach might be an inch shorter than Wlad's but Wlad's stance, style and height all play factors too in range. Wladimir out- ranges Ali by a great deal. And Wladimir is very fast, probably about as fast as any boxer has been or could get for a man his size. I can't see Ali winning many exchanges mate.

And when Wlad hits Ali's brains will be scrambled. Never in his entire caeer was he ever hit with so much concussive force.

Further, Wladimir has among the best reflexes at HW. Muhammad was a notorious punch bag who could not evade a punch if it sent him a postcard.

ExAMPLES... Joe Frazier was target practice, he walked into punches. Muhammad could not hurt him. Frazier was about as 1 dimensional as you can get. Walk forward left hook and slow and short. Yet landed on Ali continuously. Imagine what Wlad would do?

It's interesting you bring up Corrie Sanders because at 6'4", lightening fast (faster than Ali), cracker power, highly aggressive style (like Foreman), 225lbs (heavier than the heaviest non-bummy opponent Ali ever fought (who was Alvin, a nobody anyway) and awkward southpaw style who are harder to fight, there isn't anybody similar to Corrie's qualities in ANY era!! And certainly Ali never faced a southpaw with as high a KO ratio as Corrie Sanders.

Look how Ali sgruggled with Frazier, imagine how he'd go against Brewster, a 20lbs heavier, few inches taller, supercharged power punching version with an iron chin?

Forget Wladimir man, Ali would be knocked out easily by either Brewster or Sanders! No doubt!

I think that if there's a fight Muhammad would win it would be against Puritty but by UD, not on cuts or any form of TKO.

Puritty is a shit boxer and no I doubt Ali would gas like Wlad because one of the drawbacks of being taller and HAVING BIG MUSCLES Like wlad is that if you don't pace, you will gas easier than a pissy weakling like Ali because they burn their fuel at a much higher rate. Young Wlad must wear that one I agree!!

Lennox Lewis

Thread Information