Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  11
Dislikes Dislikes:  8
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Can you imagine what Riddick Bowe would do to Joe Louis?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Can you imagine what Riddick Bowe would do to Joe Louis?

Tyson has the balls to take a beating but he doesnt have the heart to fight under pressure.. Bowe would open up a can of whoop ass and make him quit..

Tyson would get intimidated by bowe..

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

On paper Bowe too big, too well rounded and strong..simple as. Bowe was a great inside churner if you were in there, that uppercut was on point. But the easy dismissal of "grainy B&W fighters" is so damn self righteous. Give it 40 yrs and the dismisal will recycle itself and Wlad will be a robotic glass chin who padded his record late by fans not even sucking wind now and may have only sat through a handfull of his fights without fast forwarding. Its heavyweights ffs...anything can and has happened.

When everything is quantified by if a guy...a champion..would even bring his A-game, it makes its own window for ruling nothing out and Bowe if we're honest could be a bloated half distracted slug who wasn't easy to miss and could lose his cool and bend rules. Bowe fucked himself and had all the tools to indead go down as 'all time' but he was equally interested with fridges in his bedroom and doing impersonations of Ali.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Very good HD clip of the Great Joe Louis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02bbD_om8o8

6'1¾".
    198 lbs-207 lbs.

66 W (52 KOs)-3 L.
    12 year reign Heavyweight Champion.
    25 Title Defences.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

THE PERFECT FIGHTING MACHINE

There never has been a more complete fighter than Joe Louis. He more than any other heavyweight most closely resembles the perfect fighter. Imagine the task of building a perfect heavyweight. First he would have to have two-fisted punching power equal to that of Jack Dempsey or Mike Tyson. His hand speed would have to be among the best including Ali, Patterson and Tyson. The left jab an offensive weapon like that of Sonny Liston's. The left hook as powerful as Joe Frazier's. His right cross as crushing as Lennox Lewis. His combination punching comparable to pound for pound great Ray Robinson. His counter-punching ability on par with Jack Johnson. He would have the inside fighting ability of Riddick Bowe. He would also have the analytical ability of Gene Tunney in spotting the weakness of an opponent's style. Joe Louis had all of these attributes in one compact explosive package of heavyweight TNT.

As a boxer Louis had everything. He is without doubt the greatest combination puncher to ever lace on the gloves. No one could put their punches together as beautifully as did Louis. He threw every punch in the book with text book perfection, the jab, the hook, the cross, and the uppercut. He placed his punches with waste-less accuracy to vital points; to the heart, across the liver, behind the ear, under the floating rib, to the mental foramen nerve (the chin). His punches were short, often traveling only inches, yet they landed with jolting power
    Bowe was mentally inept. He'd fold.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by FinitoElDinamita View Post
    It makes me laugh when people who has only seen black and white films starts romanticizing and overrating the shit outa the likes of Gene Tunney lol, dempsey, and jack johnson and them primitive fighters.

Those guys would be lucky to even beat a prime Monte Barrett.. jack johnson doesnt strike me as a good boxer and I dont see him making it out of the firs round against Deonte wilder..

Old schooo fighters are overrated....

Only old school fighters truly admire are the ones from the 60s and up like Ali, Patterson, and Larry Holmes..

Monte Barrett was pretty fuckin good at one point.
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Bowe would knock Louis the fuck out not even close i mean Holyfeild at his best is better then Louis anytime of his career. What are Louis best wins really Max, Joe, and Con and that's about it. One of those guys was not even a Heavyweight and he was whooping Louis ass. Lucky he had Bum of the month club which makes this era look like the golden age fucking guy fought a bartender and got floored doing so. I mean come on guys not even fair fight Louis is not a heavyweight by today standards. I think he do great at cw so would a lot of the other old timers but got to be real sometimes not even close.
    Last edited by Mr140; 03-24-2014 at 07:23 AM.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
    It makes me laugh when people who has only seen black and white films starts romanticizing and overrating the shit outa the likes of Gene Tunney lol, dempsey, and jack johnson and them primitive fighters.

Those guys would be lucky to even beat a prime Monte Barrett.. jack johnson doesnt strike me as a good boxer and I dont see him making it out of the firs round against Deonte wilder..

Only old school fighters truly admire are the ones from the 60s and up like Ali, Patterson, and Larry Holmes..

Yea he was.. barrett was a formidable contender at one point but he could have been a lot more if he packed a punch.

I remember him giving Joe mesi the business and giving Dominick Guinn his first loss..

I still cant believe that he got knocked out by owen beck on the judah-spinks 2 undercard.

Monte barrett at his best would wipe the fuckin floor with gene tunney and joe louis..

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yes, Max Schmelling can get the drop on Joe Louis but Riddick Bowe, oh no...

Unbelievable! And sad!
    "Enough with the games mate! Your messing with the Grand Master!"

Lennox Lewis

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
    Yes, Max Schmelling can get the drop on Joe Louis but Riddick Bowe, oh no...

Unbelievable! And sad!
    Lol hysterical! Remember what a tiny Billy Conn did to him..

That makes me think that George Groves would beat Louis too..

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah lol and furthermore this Billy Conn was regarded as a good opponent of Louis'.

Yet this Conn started his career in the 120lbs!! ranges I think, and had something like 6, SIX! friggin losses at WELTERWEIGHT or there abouts. And faced Louis at 185lbs (pretty sure).

Could you imagine Riddick Bowe staging a fight against a guy like that??

He'd be pelted with more tomatoes than he did in the Golota fight! lol
    "Enough with the games mate! Your messing with the Grand Master!"

Lennox Lewis

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Unfortunately for Bowe, he was born AFTER Joe Louis' era. So there went his quest to be great. I guess he'll just have to settle for being mostly remembered as a fat, lazy, underachiever, with more talent than the will to use it. THAT.... and his epic showdowns with Andrew Golota who... if he would've had more than a pea-sized brain.... he would've finished his destruction of Bowe without getting DQ'ed like an idiot. TWICE!

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah lol and furthermore this Billy Conn was regarded as a good opponent of Louis'.

Yet this Conn started his career in the 120lbs!! ranges I think, and had something like 6, SIX! friggin losses at WELTERWEIGHT or there abouts. And faced Louis at 185lbs (pretty sure).

When Conn had those losses, he was17 and 18 years old, with no amateur background, learning on the job. And fighting some pretty good fighters.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by greynotsoold View Post

When Conn had those losses, he was17 and 18 years old, with no amateur background, learning on the job. And fighting some pretty good fighters.
    You know whats ironic about many of these threads. They operate from the premise that it is those who have witnessed other eras and have studied those they could not have as being delusional while at the same time making the claims you see here. Just like the ubiquitous "hev era comparison" thread. So transparent in its design that it is simply not worth the effort. Been there and done that far to many times. The fighters who fought everyone and lost are somehow less then those who fought nobody and never did. Its hilarious.

Mentioned
    1671 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Do not disrespect a man who was heavyweight champion, who fought consistently and made a record 25 defences with one who did not realise his god given potential, natural ability and size. Picking the best moment of one fighter and the worst moment of another fighter to compare is ridiculous.

Joe Louis had a bomb of a left hook and right hand and hit harder than Holyfield. Bowe was open to the left hook which is why I see Tyson knocking out Riddick as Mike did Carl Truth Williams.

Bowe did not become a consistent champion which is a quality you need to be considered a great.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Hulk View Post

Yea he was.. barrett was a formidable contender at one point but he could have been a lot more if he packed a punch.

I remember him giving Joe mesi the business and giving Dominick Guinn his first loss..

I still cant believe that he got knocked out by owen beck on the judah-spinks 2 undercard.

Monte barrett at his best would wipe the fuckin floor with gene tunney and joe louis..

Idk bout that last part, but as I recall Barrett beat Beck in a seasaw battle. Looked it up and sure enough he TKO'd Beck in 9.

So you can rest easy he never lost to Owen "what the heck" Beck lol

Monte Barrett - Boxer
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Thread Information