Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  11
Dislikes Dislikes:  8
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Can you imagine what Riddick Bowe would do to Joe Louis?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Can you imagine what Riddick Bowe would do to Joe Louis?

Quote Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FinitoElDinamita View Post
    It makes me laugh when people who has only seen black and white films starts romanticizing and overrating the shit outa the likes of Gene Tunney lol, dempsey, and jack johnson and them primitive fighters.

Those guys would be lucky to even beat a prime Monte Barrett.. jack johnson doesnt strike me as a good boxer and I dont see him making it out of the firs round against Deonte wilder..

Old schooo fighters are overrated....

Only old school fighters truly admire are the ones from the 60s and up like Ali, Patterson, and Larry Holmes..

Monte Barrett was pretty fuckin good at one point.
    Yea he was.. barrett was a formidable contender at one point but he could have been a lot more if he packed a punch.

I remember him giving Joe mesi the business and giving Dominick Guinn his first loss..

I still cant believe that he got knocked out by owen beck on the judah-spinks 2 undercard.

Monte barrett at his best would wipe the fuckin floor with gene tunney and joe louis..

Idk bout that last part, but as I recall Barrett beat Beck in a seasaw battle. Looked it up and sure enough he TKO'd Beck in 9.

So you can rest easy he never lost to Owen "what the heck" Beck lol

Monte Barrett - Boxer
    That's right. Lol. Why did I think owen beck won by KO? I'm getting old.

I remember watching this fight live too when judah knocked spinks the hell out to snatxh the undisputed title.

That was one of the most satisfying knockouts I've witnessed that year cuz I disliked spinks for getting that gift against mayorga the previous year. Shit was so bogus.

I also remember going to the liqour store after the fight and some hooker jumped into my car without even asking. I'm like wtf! Lol

Anyway barrett was a good fighter.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It makes me laugh when people who has only seen black and white films starts romanticizing and overrating the shit outa the likes of Gene Tunney lol, dempsey, and jack johnson and them primitive fighters.

Those guys would be lucky to even beat a prime Monte Barrett.. jack johnson doesnt strike me as a good boxer and I dont see him making it out of the firs round against Deonte wilder..

Only old school fighters truly admire are the ones from the 60s and up like Ali, Patterson, and Larry Holmes..

Can't tell you how happy I was for him, when he flipped out and dropped Tua in their first fight. One of the rare opportunities he have himself a glimpse of his true potential.
    Last edited by Jimanuel Boogustus; 03-25-2014 at 01:42 PM.
    Hidden Content
    Original & Best: The Sugar Man

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Im not disrespecting Louis or even bagging Conn. But Louis' defences were what they were and Conn was what he was.

Louis stands no chance against Bowe...

Bowe would not even be allowed to face an opponent as shit as Conn, no matter what the reasons!

Not too sure about Tyson vs Bowe or Louis' punch vs Holyfield's punch either but I guess it's not far fetched like the thread topic is!!
    "Enough with the games mate! Your messing with the Grand Master!"

Lennox Lewis

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yea he was.. barrett was a formidable contender at one point but he could have been a lot more if he packed a punch.

I remember him giving Joe mesi the business and giving Dominick Guinn his first loss..

I still cant believe that he got knocked out by owen beck on the judah-spinks 2 undercard.

Monte barrett at his best would wipe the fuckin floor with gene tunney and joe louis..

Idk bout that last part, but as I recall Barrett beat Beck in a seasaw battle. Looked it up and sure enough he TKO'd Beck in 9.

So you can rest easy he never lost to Owen "what the heck" Beck lol

Monte Barrett - Boxer
    That's right. Lol. Why did I think owen beck won by KO? I'm getting old.

I remember watching this fight live too when judah knocked spinks the hell out to snatxh the undisputed title.

That was one of the most satisfying knockouts I've witnessed that year cuz I disliked spinks for getting that gift against mayorga the previous year. Shit was so bogus.

I also remember going to the liqour store after the fight and some hooker jumped into my car without even asking. I'm like wtf! Lol

Anyway barrett was a good fighter.

I agree whole heartedly on all of those points. My God did Spinks get a gift over Mayorga, been saying it for years.

Barrett is a nice guy; once wished me happy birthday on facebook.

He even tried to be a WWE wrassler a couple years ago, but I think it was just too late for him as he's about 40 now.

Pulled off some good upsets in his day.
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

We're not talking about who was the better HW champ, that honour goes to Joe Louis and I doubt anyone would argue. Say what you want about Louis' competition, he held the belt for a long time and became a legend, while Bowe showed flashes of greatness but didn't have the dedication and discipline to keep it going.

But I think this is the big flaw with a lot of people's logic when they talk about hypothetical match ups between past and present guys: they automatically pick the more "accomplished" guy and completely ignore the relevant info, like styles and physical attributes.

Who cares if Joe Louis was a better HW champ, held onto the strap longer, had more longevity, ect. We're not talking about who can fight the longest or who had the best discipline. We're talking about one night, one fight, prime vs prime. The Joe Louis who smashed Schmeling in one round vs the Bowe who beat up Holyfield.

If you look at the two guys, Bowe is bigger, he's stronger, he's longer, he has superior punching power and he has the better chin. Joe Louis was NEVER a slickster, he was a feared boxer/puncher who was almost always the big puncher and used that power as a deterrent, so I have serious doubts as to whether he would be able to outfox Bowe. It really looks bad for Louis when you look at it objectively.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Tyson's another guy who would have killed Louis.

Different times, different level of athletes.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Beanflicker seems to be on a roll!! lol

Lennox Lewis

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It drives me nuts. If I go and say "Floyd Mayweather has gone 18 years pro without a loss, and 16 years of that career was on the world stage fighting only champs and top 10 contenders", I'd get about 50 people going through his opponent list with a fine-toothed comb, "oh this guy sucks, that guy was too small, that guy was washed up, that guy was overrated, that guy was fighting at the wrong weight, ect". According to a lot of guys on here, Floyd never fought a real fight in his life. You talk to these people, the numbers don't matter at all, it's the quality. Fair enough.

Then those same people turn around and talk about how Joe Louis held the belt for 12 years, or Willie Pep has over 200 wins, ect. Where the fuck did the concern about quality over quantity go when now suddenly we're talking about old timers? These guys fought tons of bums. Joe Louis fought guys who had no business being in the ring with him for a lot of those years. Fat guys, frail guys, guys who had to be pushed into the ring by their corners because they were so scared.

Joe was the king for his time, but don't talk to me like he's going to whip a modern, 240lb monster with the same skills that he had. It's just crazy talk.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Beanflicker View Post
    It drives me nuts. If I go and say "Floyd Mayweather has gone 18 years pro without a loss, and 16 years of that career was on the world stage fighting only champs and top 10 contenders", I'd get about 50 people going through his opponent list with a fine-toothed comb, "oh this guy sucks, that guy was too small, that guy was washed up, that guy was overrated, that guy was fighting at the wrong weight, ect". According to a lot of guys on here, Floyd never fought a real fight in his life. You talk to these people, the numbers don't matter at all, it's the quality. Fair enough.

Then those same people turn around and talk about how Joe Louis held the belt for 12 years, or Willie Pep has over 200 wins, ect. Where the fuck did the concern about quality over quantity go when now suddenly we're talking about old timers? These guys fought tons of bums. Joe Louis fought guys who had no business being in the ring with him for a lot of those years. Fat guys, frail guys, guys who had to be pushed into the ring by their corners because they were so scared.

Joe was the king for his time, but don't talk to me like he's going to whip a modern, 240lb monster with the same skills that he had. It's just crazy talk.
    You have just encapsulated one of my most held principles. The same boxing fans who pump up past greats and dismiss the achievements of modern boxers would be completely disgusted if the modern fighter actually fought the same class of opponents that the old timer fought!!

Lennox Lewis

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

wow.. lol looks like Max Power and Beans just killed this thread, absolutely destroyed it..

Anybody who tries to argue against that are just reaching..

This debate is over as far as im concerened..

Louis is going to beat Bowe huh? Lmfao ok..

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

wow.. lol looks like Max Power and Beans just killed this thread, absolutely destroyed it..

Yes that Bowe would annihilate Wlad as well.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post

I could swallow that. Bowe is long enough, strong enough and was good enough for to be worthy of that challenge.

Joe Louis was clearly not. And it isn't his fault he was around nearly a hundred years ago!!

Lennox Lewis

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post

I could swallow that. Bowe is long enough, strong enough and was good enough for to be worthy of that challenge.

Joe Louis was clearly not. And it isn't his fault he was around nearly a hundred years ago!!
    If Joe Louis was born at the same time as Bowe he would have been bigger and stronger than he originally was but he may not have had the hunger and desire with all the Mcdonalds that are around today. He probably would have been an accountant sitting behind a desk. Why get punched in the head for a living?
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Louis couldnt beat an 03 James Toney...

This aint the 30s no more.. time to wake up and live in the real time.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

LOL Finito...

Look Master that is the endgame comment of all the OTBN (Old Time Nut Bag) community. "If he lived today he'd be this or that". That's not what this is about. If he had modern training and diet and a totally different life, he wouldn't even BE Joe Louis anymore would he!! And I'm glad you included the motivation aspect as well, not because I believe it's true of modern fighters, I don't, but because you identified that the bad aspects of a modern fighter would be bestowed on him as well as the good which most OTNB focus o solely.

I'm only concerned about the Joe Louis who actually WAS vs the Riddick Bowe who actually WAS.

Lennox Lewis

Thread Information