Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Santa Cruz willing to go to Belfast to KO Carl Frampton

By James Slater

WBC super-bantamweight king Leo Santa Cruz says he is looking forward to defending his belt against unbeaten Irish star Carl Frampton; with the Mexican warrior saying he is more than willing to come over to Frampton’s Belfast fortress for the mouth-watering clash. Speaking with The Belfast Telegraph, Santa Cruz, 27-0-1(15) said he will make the trip to Belfast “for the biggest purse of my career.”

“I will fight Frampton in Belfast. He is my number-one choice and I want to defend my title in July,” Santa Cruz said. “I will come to Belfast if I get the biggest purse of my career.”

And Barry McGuigan, Frampton’s manager, says he is willing to give Santa Cruz just that:

“If Santa Cruz is genuine about coming to Belfast, and I have no reason to doubt him, then I will make him an offer he can’t refuse to come and fight Carl in Belfast,” McGuigan stated. “I am pleased to hear that Santa Cruz is willing to come and if we make that fight for July that would be perfect timing for us. We are having ongoing negotiations with Golden Boy about the fight and there is a lot of talking to be done because it is the biggest fight in the super-bantamweight division and everyone knows that.”

It is a great match-up indeed, but Santa Cruz is convinced he will win, by a KO, and then look at moving up in weight.

“I am not worried about fighting in Belfast,” Santa Cruz said. “Carl Frampton is a good fighter but I will punish him to the body, break him up and stop him. The fight won’t go the distance so I don’t need to worry about the judges. I have fought someone like Frampton before so I know how to beat him. I want to defend my title in July and then again in September or October. Another three title defences and then I want to move up to featherweight.”

The at-his-peak 25-year-old previously held the IBF title down at bantamweight, before moving up and winning his WBC 122-pound crown, and a third title in as many weights cannot be looked at as a leap too far for him. Having reeled off two retentions of his WBC title, Santa Cruz has impressed many with his all-action style.

But the gifted Frampton, 18-0(13) and two years older than Santa Cruz, has also impressed. The styles of these two men all but guarantees action and “The Jackal” has earned his big opportunity.

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Santa Cruz willing to go to Belfast to KO Carl Frampton

Lets hope it happens. I think Santa Cruz is just fanning the flames a bit because despite his experience if he thinks it will simply be a matter of going to the body to soften up Frampton before winning by KO then he may be rather surprised at quite how sharp a bite a Jackal can give you.
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I hope Cruz aims for the body and leave his face wide open for Frampton to go upstairs..

Im leaning towards Frampton..

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Golden Boy will stump up enough money to outbid McGuigan and keep the fight on the west coast. I have a feeling Frampton wins even so.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I hope it lands in belfast because of their fight atmoshpere. It's just better.

I took some time to study both fighters last night and Im starting to think Frampton could be Cruz' Kryponite..

Cruz appears to have a sturdy chin but he leaves himself open too much and dude has never faced anybody who can punch him back with real power and authority..

This is my most anticipated fight this summer.. GBP has a history of matching up their youngsters with tough opposition so I believe this fight will happen..

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Frampton is P4P one of the hardest hitters in the sport. He knocked out durable Martinez and Cazares.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Cruz activity and body attack will win it for him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Bad move coming over to Belfast for Cruz, 10,000 plus mad Irishman screaming for Framton could be a bit like Ricky and Costa all over again, with the Jackal just walking through everything that Cruz has got to finally stop Cruz late on. Much better to take Frampton out his comfort zone and make him go stateside

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Demise View Post
    I think so too. He's a monster and you can look good against him for a couple of rounds and in spurts, but he is so difficult with his output and constant body attacks. He wears opponents down without much mercy. Until he starts having trouble making the weight he's going to continue causing problems.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Violent Demise View Post
    I think so too. He's a monster and you can look good against him for a couple of rounds and in spurts, but he is so difficult with his output and constant body attacks. He wears opponents down without much mercy. Until he starts having trouble making the weight he's going to continue causing problems.
    Yep Santa Cruz defeats Frampton
    Cold Heart and a Weak Mind

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Frampton and his team have to be comended by wating to fight LSC.

The Frampton team could have went for Martinez again. Thye tried to make the fight and i believe fought and won an eliminator to challenge Martinez. They then suddenly went the WBC route and are really pushing for the fight.

Frampton will beat Mrtinez if they meet again but to go after one of the best young champions about thats really making a statement when Frampton has easier options.

Regarding the fight, I hope its in Belfast as it means i have a chance of going to it BUT i do think that LSC wins the fight.

LSC vs Frampton will be cracker if it happens, i just feel that LSC is the better fighter.
    Hidden Content

collecting scores from the best boxing sites and forums

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Frampton will stop him, I'm confident of that. I've always said Frampton is destined for top ten p4p and I see this being a W for him.

Cruz is good no doubt, but Frampton has great range finding and one punch fight ending power.

Finally after beating one of the current world champions and after being ducked by one of the current world champions, Carl will get to be a world champion.
    You say tomato,
    ‘n I say …… it correctly.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Santa Cruz has been operating at a higher level than Frampton and on paper he's going to win. I actually was picking him to win (I think this is one of the top two or three potential fights that have a chance of getting made right now) but Frampton is going to be throwing a lot back and I think he wins in an absolute war.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkland Laing View Post
    Santa Cruz has been operating at a higher level than Frampton and on paper he's going to win. I actually was picking him to win (I think this is one of the top two or three potential fights that have a chance of getting made right now) but Frampton is going to be throwing a lot back and I think he wins in an absolute war.
    Agreed but let's not forget, in framptons last 4 fights he's fought 3 former or current world champions, and blasted them all out, so he has experience.

I just think Frampton will KO him.
    Last edited by Vendettos; 04-17-2014 at 06:41 AM.
    You say tomato,
    ‘n I say …… it correctly.

Thread Information