Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Hopkins: I Wanted Kovalev, Smart Move To Pick Cleverly

Hopkins: I Wanted Kovalev, Smart Move To Pick Cleverly - Boxing News

If Hopkins beats Kovalev and Stevenson, where does he rank in you ATG list?
    Last edited by FinitoElDinamita; 04-16-2014 at 06:09 PM.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Hopkins: I Wanted Kovalev, Smart Move To Pick Cleverly

For a man near 50? ATG but more importantly where do you rank him?
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by FinitoElDinamita View Post

IF, he beats those two, they will have to create another state for Hopkins' head, body and ego.
    Kovalev nor Stevenson are going to allow Hopkins to fight the way he wants and that's a good thing, in my opinion.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by beenKOed View Post

IF, he beats those two, they will have to create another state for Hopkins' head, body and ego.
    Kovalev nor Stevenson are going to allow Hopkins to fight the way he wants and that's a good thing, in my opinion.
    I can only imagine.. lol

Who do you think would cause more problems for Hopkins?

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This is what I was thinking. It depends on how he beats them, in my opinion. If its a jab, walk..counter, smother, then go cuff crazy in the pocket while hes too far in to take any punch of significance, he drops quite a few notches.

I've really had my fill of those spoiler performances and just as soon continue to watch either of those guys feast on no hopers than relive the age defiance celebratory pageant after every time Hopkins spoils his way to a win. The comments he made in that article alone make me want to see him get starched... Wins for him at this point increase Golden Boy control of boxing as those 2 guys are under different promotional banners.
    Last edited by J_Undisputed; 04-16-2014 at 10:38 PM.
    They want your @$$ beat because upsets make news. News brings about excitement, excitement brings about ratings. The objective is to bring you up to the tower and tear your @$$ down. And if you don't believe that, you're crazy.

Roy Jones, Jr. "What I've Learned," Esquire 2003

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I can only imagine.. lol

Who do you think would cause more problems for Hopkins?
    Intelligent pressure and more pressure, rough him up, push him around, hold him and hit him. Fight as dirty as Hopkins does and keep that knucklehead Steve Smoger out of the ring, I think he has a thing for Hopkins.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

From a strictly historical perspective based off accomplishments, Hop, Manny, and Floyd r all neck and neck in my opinion. If Hop unifies one more time (all of the belts at 175), he is pretty tough to beat historically by the other two. I have said from the beginning that Hop will dominate Kovalev n when that fight happens I'm betting big money on it just like I did when Hop fought Tito, Tarver, n Pavilik. Kovalev isn't fast or clever enough and Hop will school him.

Adonis is a big question mark for me. On one hand I feel like he is too mobile n busy for Hop, but then I wonder if I'm not overestimating him after seeing him destroy two ruined fighters in Dawson n Cloud. I wouldn't bet on this fight because of Stevensons style n the fact that Hop will be 50 if they fight, but I wouldn't be too shocked to see Hop win that one either.

I would place Hop top 20 if he unifies 175. No one will break his record of middleweight defenses n he has beaten a great list of challengers at an advanced age.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by mikeeod View Post
    From a strictly historical perspective based off accomplishments, Hop, Manny, and Floyd r all neck and neck in my opinion. If Hop unifies one more time (all of the belts at 175), he is pretty tough to beat historically by the other two. I have said from the beginning that Hop will dominate Kovalev n when that fight happens I'm betting big money on it just like I did when Hop fought Tito, Tarver, n Pavilik. Kovalev isn't fast or clever enough and Hop will school him.

Adonis is a big question mark for me. On one hand I feel like he is too mobile n busy for Hop, but then I wonder if I'm not overestimating him after seeing him destroy two ruined fighters in Dawson n Cloud. I wouldn't bet on this fight because of Stevensons style n the fact that Hop will be 50 if they fight, but I wouldn't be too shocked to see Hop win that one either.

I would place Hop top 20 if he unifies 175. No one will break his record of middleweight defenses n he has beaten a great list of challengers at an advanced age.
    There is no way anyone, can deny Hopkins has been remarkable during his career.
    That's all I'm going to say about the guy, if I keep talking my dislike for the him will take over and I'll wind up sounding like an envious,
    crotchety, old man. Actually I'm a sweet, fair minded, old gentleman with eight grandchildren, and one great grandchild who happens to be a boxing fan. Hell, I wouldn't hurt a fly even if it was setting on my pie!

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by mikeeod View Post

There is no way anyone, can deny Hopkins has been remarkable during his career.
    That's all I'm going to say about the guy, if I keep talking my dislike for the him will take over and I'll wind up sounding like an envious,
    crotchety, old man. Actually I'm a sweet, fair minded, old gentleman with eight grandchildren, and one great grandchild who happens to be a boxing fan. Hell, I wouldn't hurt a fly even if it was setting on my pie!

Wouldn't harm a fly....

"You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hopkins wanted Cleverly too.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

" Hopkins knows his only gimmick right now is the fact that he's old. No one cared about him before, and they barely care about him now. While he has good boxing skills, he has an ugly, foul filled, spoiling style that has gained him almost no fans over the years.

Then we have Kovalev. He's on his way up, has good skills and frightening power. Absolutely willing to fight anyone, no bullshit. This guy would not only knock hopkins out, but he could SERIOUSLY damage his health, and kill his ego. I know this, Kovalev knows this, HOPKINS knows this, and aside from a few panther trolls no one disagrees.

What are we left with then? Hopkins has no intention of fighting Kovalev. He's been feasting on low skill guys these last years just to hear "the old man did it again!".

Lately he's been saying Kovalev's name just to get people interested in him continuing to fight nobodies. Give it up old man, no one believes you have any desire to fight, or chance to beat, Sergey Kovalev. "

- Slyk

Probably the best take on Hopkins Ive ever seen...

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hahaha. Feasting on low level guys?!? HAHAHAHA. Prime Dawson. Undefeated Cloud. Prime Lineal Champ Pascal. DEFINITELY weak competition! That is funny. The guy is 50 and he is taking on the top ranked young guys in his division n a couple of morons have so much hate or so little boxing knowledge that they say Hop is feasting on weak competition. The best part of that? One of the clowns tries to say that Roy is the GOAT n that EVERYONE else avoided him. Funny.

Thread Information