Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: The Old-Timers would destroy the New Guys

I actually think a lot of spoon fed 'kids' today would cry without the Twitter That or go bat shit crazy. Kinda like I might if we lost Saddos

as with anything its quality over quantity. A guy can have 200 fights with some padding but still manage 40+ respectable fights. Likewise a fighter can have 40 bouts and face near half all killers. Or even in some situations a fighter can face 31 opponents for 31 kos and near all were utter shit. It happens We have living proof that you can fight 31 times and not 'prove' much of anything. But still in todays media we're to believe a record like that makes someone a killer. Loving the KO but not exactly looking at what is being ko'd. I don't see a problem with an active fighter, weekly or monthly just as long as they are not ALL cans. Look hard enough today and you'll see a bad trend of guys coming up on stacked decks and literal mis-matches. Have you seen some of these monthly GBP cards lately. Numbers don't mean squat its the substance. Greb fought some cans, and activity does not make you great, but he also faced Gibbons, Flowers, Tunney, Rossenbloom and Walker some multiple times. We have the immediate convenience today of reliving a modern fighters career in its entirety with a click, and if we're fortunate enough we have had the opportunity to watch guys like Floyd from his amateur days and straight through the ranks to today. We've seen his opponents 'opponents' coming up even. There are a slew of fighters from days gone by who faced good comp as well but I didn't live em and we watch everything from hindsight. Doesn't make them all bums or grocery clerks, just means I'm ignorant and have only a record and numbers to read. Rambling, I need coffee.

El Kabong Guest

Brockton is an old guy, he would destroy anyone you know why?

THERMITE PAINT!

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

@Spicoli your right about all of that.
    "Enough with the games mate! Your messing with the Grand Master!"

Lennox Lewis

Mentioned
    946 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
    Well what is the quality of the opponents that that 200 fight guy fought. No modern fighter has 200 fights but for example I would stack up 45 fight Floyd against 200 fight Robinson no worries.

And I don't put it like it would be competitive, I would seriously be surprised if Robinson would land even a single meaningful punch the entire fight!
    I love the objectivity in this post. Absolutely no current boxer nut huggery going on at all. That's the great thing about your posting Max. The way you fully admit your super heavy weight theory translates so well across time that even Lumbering bear Primo is now an ATG Purely because of his size. You have to admire how you can see through Tyson Furys clumsy oaf act and cut through to the great boxing skills and massive power he shows in each and every fight. You are a borderline genius and all the millions of words written by former world champions, trainers, managers, promoters, journalists and fans in praise of former greats is just all BS. Every time I watch old footage of any fighter from before the 1990's I will dismiss any evident skill I may mistakenly think I am witnessing and remember that Aussie Max the former boxer has now enlightened me and that the guy I am watching is a bum facing a tomatoe can. Frazier,Ali,Shavers,Foreman,Lyle,Louis are all feather fisted and would be destroyed by Cunningham and Fury and when I am reading about fighters like Greb and Wilde I will remember that however experienced and talented the writer never mind if the scribe has boxed before themselves or come from a long line of Boxers we already have Max's esteemed opinion that they are bums, and that should be good enough for us. Thanks Max, I have seen the light.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeanz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
    Well what is the quality of the opponents that that 200 fight guy fought. No modern fighter has 200 fights but for example I would stack up 45 fight Floyd against 200 fight Robinson no worries.

And I don't put it like it would be competitive, I would seriously be surprised if Robinson would land even a single meaningful punch the entire fight!
    I love the objectivity in this post. Absolutely no current boxer nut huggery going on at all. That's the great thing about your posting Max. The way you fully admit your super heavy weight theory translates so well across time that even Lumbering bear Primo is now an ATG Purely because of his size. You have to admire how you can see through Tyson Furys clumsy oaf act and cut through to the great boxing skills and massive power he shows in each and every fight. You are a borderline genius and all the millions of words written by former world champions, trainers, managers, promoters, journalists and fans in praise of former greats is just all BS. Every time I watch old footage of any fighter from before the 1990's I will dismiss any evident skill I may mistakenly think I am witnessing and remember that Aussie Max the former boxer has now enlightened me and that the guy I am watching is a bum facing a tomatoe can. Frazier,Ali,Shavers,Foreman,Lyle,Louis are all feather fisted and would be destroyed by Cunningham and Fury and when I am reading about fighters like Greb and Wilde I will remember that however experienced and talented the writer never mind if the scribe has boxed before themselves or come from a long line of Boxers we already have Max's esteemed opinion that they are bums, and that should be good enough for us. Thanks Max, I have seen the light.
    LOL Yes, very amusing post Beanz, lovely touch giving me a dose of my own sarcasm, thanks for that. But alas, alas, not a very accurate portrayal of my posts I'm afraid. You see I've never used weight as the singular ingredient for my argument like you and so many others always jump to first. Otherwise I would have Valuev and Primera at number 1 wouldn't I and not Mike Tyson or David Haye ranked anywhere right!?

Obviously in that post you seemed to so objectively read into all of that, I mentioned the word QUALITY.

We are talking about Robinson who fought a couple hundred fights worth of absolute shit compared to Floyd who fought top opponents. Even after the artificial jacking up of Robinson's opponents and bummifying of Floyd's, one cannot fail to notice there is something different about Floyd's opponents.

Could Robinson go through all of Floyd's opponents 4 times over? Of course not! Why? Because they were far more proficient fighters that require many weeks, months of preparation for unlike the beggars and junk yard hobos that Robinson fought which required only a few laps of the block to knock out!

Completely objective post right there! LOL

Seriously though, I'm not so stupid as to say that those writers were wrong and that nobody prior to 1980 had any fucking skills, that's obviously not the case, but it's also abundantly clear that those skills have progressively gotten heaps better and that pressing the ancient warriors over the current ranks is wrong.

You think I'm the only one who believes Wlad would put away Louis within a round or 2? Or Floyd do in Sugar Ray Robinson with ease? I think most all free thinking fans know it's true, even if they don't want to admit it!
    Last edited by Max Power; 04-25-2014 at 09:27 AM.
    "Enough with the games mate! Your messing with the Grand Master!"

Lennox Lewis

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Past fighters i think Mayweather would lose to most of time or only a few of them. Those being Leonard and Hearns i am not sure of Robinson but he was huge for a welter but all footage of him is gone. As for the the Heavyweights there are only a few i give a chance to do well in the 60's Liston and Ali from the 70's i give Foreman and Holmes a great chance because they did well in there 40's in the best era. I fell this era now is no way better then the 90's because the top guys today lost to Champs and contenders of the 90's and one of them by a land slide. I fell this era would be great with out the brother thing it kills it and hurts there legacies because who the fuck is the champ Wald is now but there was a lot grey area when his brother came back and it kinda fucked it up him being there because who was the top guy.

Thread Information