Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How many of you are NOT sold on Keith Thurman?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default How many of you are NOT sold on Keith Thurman?

I just think he's a good athlete with a big punch but I dont see the " great " boxing skills that some of you talk about.. He's a good fighter and maybe he'll get better but I dont think he's great as he's cracked up to be..

What do you see in Thurman that separates him from the likes of POrter, Brook, and the other top talents at WW?

Oh yea, and he needs to cut his gay hair and watch out for the fashion police cuz he dont know how to dress.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: How many of you are NOT sold on Keith Thurman?

Like you said , he is a great athlete but he hasn't yet developed as a great boxer. He is fast ,athletic and a power puncher and we will see what happens when he steps up

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He's enjoyable to watch and that's the main thing

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Tam Seddon View Post
    Yeah, finally someone who is actually watchable. Sure, he is certainly not polished, but why be so concerned about what may or may not happen down the road and enjoy what he's doing now and see him progress?

I'm tired of duds like Devon Alexander being propped up.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah, but you can't fault a guy for trying to make a living.

Never know how far a guy's talent can take him unless he dedicates himself and gives it his best shot. Some guy's can surprise you.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Sleepwalker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tam Seddon View Post
    Yeah, finally someone who is actually watchable. Sure, he is certainly not polished, but why be so concerned about what may or may not happen down the road and enjoy what he's doing now and see him progress?

I'm tired of duds like Devon Alexander being propped up.
    I love most of boxing but Thurman just brings the action. I do like Alexander at times like when he schooled maidana that was good to see and the KO of urango

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He hasn't fought a lot of big names, hasn't had a lot of fights but you guys talk about being a great athlete in ho-hum manner.
    I'm not comparing him to RJJ, but being a great athlete is a real good thing and he seems to be fast on the uptake. You could say I'm sold on him.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by FinitoElDinamita View Post
    I just think he's a good athlete with a big punch but I dont see the " great " boxing skills that some of you talk about.. He's a good fighter and maybe he'll get better but I dont think he's great as he's cracked up to be..

What do you see in Thurman that separates him from the likes of POrter, Brook, and the other top talents at WW?

Oh yea, and he needs to cut his gay hair and watch out for the fashion police cuz he dont know how to dress.
    Not sure how you measure great. Seems fans have different views on what that actually means. If we are expecting someone to measure up to Floyd then we may be in for a long wait. We are in an era that has manufactured greatness. Lots of "Stars"

What I see in Thurman that seems to lack in many today is an old school simple bad ass mentality. The mentality can also be seen in the way he carries himself, his body language. I think that if he was in charge of his own career he'd most likely fight anybody. We both know how careers are steered with very few that call their own shots. The mikmen are many.

He looks to me to have better skills the Porter but less then Brook but with that Lamotta like mentality he could most definitely beat or even dominate better skilled opponents. He may also have been born in the wrong era. He could get a little pacified in todays market and lose that edge that he brought with him.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I much prefer the look of Jeff Horn.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by IamInuit View Post

Not sure how you measure great. Seems fans have different views on what that actually means. If we are expecting someone to measure up to Floyd then we may be in for a long wait. We are in an era that has manufactured greatness. Lots of "Stars"

What I see in Thurman that seems to lack in many today is an old school simple bad ass mentality. The mentality can also be seen in the way he carries himself, his body language. I think that if he was in charge of his own career he'd most likely fight anybody. We both know how careers are steered with very few that call their own shots. The mikmen are many.

He looks to me to have better skills the Porter but less then Brook but with that Lamotta like mentality he could most definitely beat or even dominate better skilled opponents. He may also have been born in the wrong era. He could get a little pacified in todays market and lose that edge that he brought with him.
    There are different levels of greatness. Floyd and Roy are special breeds that come along once every 50 years or so and nobody expects to see that often. One doesn't have to be on their level to be regarded as great because greatness comes in many forms and they are in a class of their own.

All I'm saying is while Thurman is good, he's not great as some people think he is and that's just my opinion.

He is still growing as a fighter so we will see.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He's a prospect, I'm not sure how well I could be sold on one. If he becomes a "champ" then I'll judge it based on his title defenses.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He reminds me of a WW David Haye: an athletic, mobile, EXPLOSIVE bomber.

When you have that kind of one-punch power, of course the technique will sometimes suffer and skillfulness will be put on the back burner in pursuit of the KO.

I'm a big believer in Thurman though. I expect him to destroy tonight and hopefully set up a bigger WW fight with a guy like Porter. That would be a fuckin war.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I am sold on him and hope he becomes a super star. Put him in with Guerrero, Berto, Porter, Brooks and Devon.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Beanflicker View Post

When you have that kind of one-punch power, of course the technique will sometimes suffer and skillfulness will be put on the back burner in pursuit of the KO.

I'm a big believer in Thurman though. I expect him to destroy tonight and hopefully set up a bigger WW fight with a guy like Porter. That would be a fuckin war.
    That's a fair comparison actually, David Haye.. in another words he's an ambush fighter with a lack of real substance..

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Beanflicker View Post

That's a fair comparison actually, David Haye.. in another words he's an ambush fighter with a lack of real substance..

Haha we shall see. I liked David Haye other than his outside of the ring nonsense and his "owww my poor toe" excuses.

Thread Information