Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Nonito Donaire fires Robert Garcia... Employs his dad

MANILA, Philippines — In more ways than one, Nonito Donaire Jr. is going back to his roots.

Admitting that his one-punch game-plan is not going to work in the long run, Donaire said Tuesday he will employ a different strategy in his career that also involved replacing renowned Mexican trainer Robert Garcia with his father, Nonito Sr., as trainer.

Donaire (32-2-0 with 21 knockouts) held a presser to announce his May 31 title fight against World Boxing Association champion Simpiwe Vetyeka of South Africa (26-2-0 with 15 KOs) at Venetian Macau. The fight will be carried by ABS-CBN and HBO.

The 31-year-old Donaire said last year was “the crossroads of my career where I questioned myself, is this what’s important to me? Or have I reached the pinnacle of my career.”

Seated beside him at Edsa Shangri-La ballroom was his father, who will train him for the first time since 2007.

Donaire Sr. had a much-publicized feud with his son but patched things up before Nonito stopped Vic Darchinyan last year. Donaire struggled against Darchinyan before his vaunted left hook bailed him out in the 9th.

Earlier that year, he lost his 122 titles to Cuban Guillermo Rigondeaux, who exposed Donaire’s unhealthy reliance on landing a big punch instead of throwing combinations.

Now, Donaire said he and his father will focus on his old “cerebral style.”

“With my father at my side, we can unleash my full potential, my true potential,” he said.

- Marc Anthony Reyes

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't blame Garcia but Donaire has had a terrible approach for a long time now. Hopefully he stops loading up and lets his hands go. Rigondeaux would work him again but others should not.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Nonito Donaire fires Robert Garcia... Employs his dad

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    I don't blame Garcia but Donaire has had a terrible approach for a long time now. Hopefully he stops loading up and lets his hands go. Rigondeaux would work him again but others should not.
    I don't think Garcia should be accountable.. I doubt he told Nonito to abandon the jab and look for one punch.

One thing I didnt like though was how he trained Nonito over the " cellphone " instead of training him for real. lol

Nonito has a big ego and he seems to like having alot of yes man around him.. First he fired his dad for Garcia and now he's canning him to back to his dad..

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Donaire is loss waiting to happen.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Demise View Post
    Donaire is loss waiting to happen.
    It happened

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Is this actually a new story? He's been with his dad at the ALA Gym in the Philippines this week sparring with a Cuban kid.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Garcia is a vastly overrated celebrity trainer and Donaire was and is a vastly overrated celebrity fighter. To bad he cant fire himself. Its all good when you are a lightweight fighting at 118 and 122 and making highlight reels knocking out people who look like children in comparison. Quite another when you meet someone close to your size with more skill.

Addicted to_boxing Guest

Quote Originally Posted by IamInuit View Post
    Garcia is a vastly overrated celebrity trainer and Donaire was and is a vastly overrated celebrity fighter. To bad he cant fire himself. Its all good when you are a lightweight fighting at 118 and 122 and making highlight reels knocking out people who look like children in comparison. Quite another when you meet someone close to your size with more skill.
    Awesome honest post. Now he is up against another so so champion . The guy fought one truly talented fighter and lost. Now he can fight Mickey Garcia and get KTFO . But being that his career is being led much like Pac's not likely Arum allows him to get ruined.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Donaire already screwed himself by being a clean fighter during his prime years. Now he's going to have to start using PED's as his reflexes diminish without knowing how to cycle properly. What a fool

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

For a guy who claims to be an old school fan, you are acting no differently than those young fans who dismiss fighters after one loss. Donaire has lost one fight in 12 years and now he is vastly overrated?

I bet you didn't think that when he knocked out Montiel.
    Last edited by FinitoElDinamita; 04-26-2014 at 04:42 AM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by p4pking View Post
    Donaire already screwed himself by being a clean fighter during his prime years. Now he's going to have to start using PED's as his reflexes diminish without knowing how to cycle properly. What a fool
    hillarious, he better hire angel like jmm did, so he can bulk up like the hulk

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Love hearing people shit-talk Donaire, a true champion, an action fighter, a knockout artist, a guy who VOLUNTARILY subjects himself to VADA testing to show the fans that he is genuine and not a steroid cheat, a guy who was considered a top p4p fighter forever before losing to Rigondeaux, one of the slickest, craftiest motherfuckers in boxing.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Addicted to_boxing View Post
    Awesome honest post. Now he is up against another so so champion . The guy fought one truly talented fighter and lost. Now he can fight Mickey Garcia and get KTFO . But being that his career is being led much like Pac's not likely Arum allows him to get ruined.

Thanks. Facts at times are unpleasant to the ears.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by p4pking View Post
    Lol you know that was probably just a publicity stunt, (the whole random thing). His chemist was no doubt top rate and had one of those undetectable designer peds where a test is not even available yet.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Beanflicker View Post
    Love hearing people shit-talk Donaire, a true champion, an action fighter, a knockout artist, a guy who VOLUNTARILY subjects himself to VADA testing to show the fans that he is genuine and not a steroid cheat, a guy who was considered a top p4p fighter forever before losing to Rigondeaux, one of the slickest, craftiest motherfuckers in boxing.
    Best post I've seen about Donaire! Boxing fans can stop on a dime and change direction instantly, we really are a fickly bunch.

Thread Information