Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: I now rank Floyd somwhere between top 30-40 all time...

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: I now rank Floyd somwhere between top 30-40 all time...

Quote Originally Posted by CutMeMick View Post
    By the way I scored the fight 115-113 for Floyd...

1. M
    2. F
    3. M
    4. M
    5. M
    6. F
    7. F
    8. F
    9. F
    10. F (The toughest round to score for me)
    11. M (Tough round to score)
    12. F (Tough round to score)
    I had the same score.

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by brocktonblockbust View Post
    cant believe Maricano at 34 and Lennox Lewis not even in there.
    @brocktonblockbust while I do hold Lewis in high regards and he was the Undisputed HW Champ I just prefer Marcianos body of work overall... Maybe in years to come my opinion changes. Who knows Lennox is def. top 50 for me... Easy. Closer to 40 right behind Oscar on my list.
    Me too, just wonderin'. I put Marciano about 11th ATG all weight classes combined. I put Lewis about #17

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

First and foremost I hope all you fuckers are doing well... Been a while since I posted here. I missed you (some not all) sad fucks. For those who don't know me damn! I've been gone too long. For those that do, fuck off!

So I was thinking as Floyds career begins to wind down where will he end up in my all time list? Keep in mind lists are like assholes. Everybody's got one. Depending on how you rank fighters. He can be top 100, top 50 or in my case 30-40.
    THE ONLY THING FLOYD LACKS COMPARED TO THESE GUYS IS OPPOSITION.
    Even then he gets full credit from me for his fights vs. Chicanito Hernandez, Cotto, Corrales, Hatton, C. Hernandez, Chavez, Castillo. Since the Mosley fight regardless of how you view his opposition he has fought some top names. He just makes them look mediocre. Even after he settled in vs. Maidana he was making him look slow and average at times.
    Keep in mind I DON'T rank fighters whom I don't know enough of and or have not seen enough footage to judge them on. I simply refuse to rank fighters I've seen and know a lot of with fighters whom I've only read of. With that being said over time I've learned more and more about a lot of fighters whom 8 or 9 years ago I did not know much of and now today I can rank them.

Notable fighters I don't rank: Sam Langford, Harry Greb, Bob Fitzsimmons, Joe Gans, Benny Leonard & Mickey Walker among others.

So here it is for you to shred & tare apart... Where does Floyd rank all time? Today for me anywhere between 30-40.

40. Oscar De La Hoya
    39. Carlos Zarate
    38. Miguel Canto
    37. Manuel Ortiz
    36. Lou Ambers
    35. Dick Tiger
    34. Marciano
    33. Saldivar
    32. Wilfredo Gomez
    31. Holyfield
    30. Olivares
    29. Hopkins
    28. Harada
    27. Carlos Ortiz
    26. Ike Williams
    25. Hearns
    24. M. Spinks
    23. Jofre
    22. Sanchez
    21. Lopez
    20. Arguello
    19. Napoles
    18. Emile
    17. Kid Gavilan
    16. Roy Jones
    15. Hagler
    14, Canzoneri
    13. Pernell
    12. Ross
    11. Louis
    10. Monzon
    9. Chavez
    8. SRL
    7. Archie
    6. Pep
    5. Duran
    4. Ezzard
    3. Ali
    2. Armstrong
    1. SRR
    Welcome back ya knob.

Make the next hiatus longer please.
    You say tomato,
    ‘n I say …… it correctly.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Beanflicker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fan johnny View Post
    The boxing sprirt of old is long gone. Robinson fought 34 times in his last 3 years and Armstong 49 times. Floyd has fought what, 5 fights? We would need a matrix of criteria to come close to making a realistic comparison rather than here is my opinion.
    Yeah but Ray Robinson and Henry Armstrong weren't making no 60 million dollars a fight, either. If they could get paid that much per fight, do you think they'd still be fighting that much? Hell nah.
    Point being, put mayeather in that erra and he would get busted up. Put Armstrong in todays erra and still clean out the divisions with endorcement too.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Denilsen200 Micheal number is fine he was first and only Lineal champ at lhw and hw. He has a great resume at Lhw was the only champ at lhw who was undefeated. He lost to Tyson at his peak at a weight Spinks was not the greatest at look at Tysons lose to Douglass does that put a mark on him.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The boxing sprirt of old is long gone. Robinson fought 34 times in his last 3 years and Armstong 49 times. Floyd has fought what, 5 fights? We would need a matrix of criteria to come close to making a realistic comparison rather than here is my opinion.
    Yeah but Ray Robinson and Henry Armstrong weren't making no 60 million dollars a fight, either. If they could get paid that much per fight, do you think they'd still be fighting that much? Hell nah.
    Point being, put mayeather in that erra and he would get busted up. Put Armstrong in todays erra and still clean out the divisions with endorcement too.
    Who's going to bust Mayweather up? One of the many club fighters that these guys padded their records with?

Go look at the records of any of these guys: you'll see them fight guys with losing records, less than 10 fights, ect.

Floyd wouldn't be allowed to fight that kind of competition today because the Athletic Commissions wouldn't allow it because it wouldn't be a fair fight.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

cant believe Maricano at 34 and Lennox Lewis not even in there.
    @brocktonblockbust while I do hold Lewis in high regards and he was the Undisputed HW Champ I just prefer Marcianos body of work overall... Maybe in years to come my opinion changes. Who knows Lennox is def. top 50 for me... Easy. Closer to 40 right behind Oscar on my list.
    Me too, just wonderin'. I put Marciano about 11th ATG all weight classes combined. I put Lewis about #17
    I think Lewis is better. He fought in a better era, and thus fought better competition. He also cleaned out the division, while Marciano retired six fights after winning the title.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr140 View Post
    How did you find SRR footage like did you go to a archive or somthing thought that shit was gone in a fire or something right. Also do you have any on Tunney at all besides the Demsey fights. I really think that we should have a atg list done like old generation new one because they are so different now.
    @Mr140 simply by looking... Everytime in my spare time I would search and contact people and ask until I finally came across it when a friend sent me a link.
    To be honest boxers like Tunney, Dempsey, Jack Johnson while I respect them and rank them in their own realm again I just don't mess with them...
    I have seperate lists. I have lists of fighters whom I've ONLY read about and have not seen enough footage if any at all. I'll post that one up next.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr140 View Post
    Also good to see you back i like to see Ice Britkid and Saddo come back but i think they are long gone. I would rank Holyfeild tad higher since there has never been a Heavyweight move up to hw and be considered a top 10 atg hw. Which is saying a lot when giving up 20 to 40 pounds in a fight is big deal.
    Thank you...
    Ice Cold Boxing is BritKid as well as Saddo and Mr140 oh and zzzz.
    But who cares about Ice Cold Boxing all his knowledge came from "Google" & "BoxRec"
    don't tell him I told you that...

Any chance you could upload some of those SRR fights please matey?

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Can't see how anyone can have Roy ranked ahead of Floyd, Hop, n Manny. Just makes no sense to me...

I would have to rank Floyd in the top 20. He is a great fighter and has beaten all styles at multiple weights in various different ways. The guy is really a 140 pounder at most, n he is shutting out the top guys at 154. Tough to argue with that kind of dominance. Would've liked to have seen him beat Paul Williams, Kostya, Prime Shane, n Winky (too big, I know, but I think Floyd could've pulled it off) but I'm not one of those guys who thinks he sucked them. He has fought some solid comp throughout his career.

Right now I keep going back and forth in how I rank Floyd, Manny, and Hop because all three have MAJOR ACCOMPLISHMENTS that may never be broken or duplicated. All three r phenomenal in their own way. Going back to my earlier point, I just can't see how some of the lists on here have Roy anywhere near the top 30, not to mention ranked over the other three...

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ok now i have to defend another fucking guy i hate good god why. Jones deserve to be in talks with Mayweather, Pac and Hopkins i have him over Pac and Hopkins. Jones Stared out at 154 and got titles all the way to hw which is 50 pounds differens of division and up. The guy he fought was 220 thats 70 pounds diffence from were he started and Roy weighed 198 and and beat him for a belt. Now do i think his top 15 depends on my mood but he deserves to mentioned with Mayweather and he is above Pac and Hopkins in my book. I mean see Hopkins trying to jump up to heavy and fight a contender do you see pac trying to face a smw or Mayweather facing a lhw no because that's crazy for them. The only fighter when comes to mind when having ro face faints his whole career is Holyfeild started out 175 and fought guys up to 250 and most of the time was outweighed 20 pounds and still manged to win during his prime and give good fight after it. There are only a few fighters in the history of the sport who dare move up to hw division and win anything and you know why because it is a really fucking hard thing to try to do.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by mikeeod View Post
    Can't see how anyone can have Roy ranked ahead of Floyd, Hop, n Manny. Just makes no sense to me...

I would have to rank Floyd in the top 20. He is a great fighter and has beaten all styles at multiple weights in various different ways. The guy is really a 140 pounder at most, n he is shutting out the top guys at 154. Tough to argue with that kind of dominance. Would've liked to have seen him beat Paul Williams, Kostya, Prime Shane, n Winky (too big, I know, but I think Floyd could've pulled it off) but I'm not one of those guys who thinks he sucked them. He has fought some solid comp throughout his career.

Right now I keep going back and forth in how I rank Floyd, Manny, and Hop because all three have MAJOR ACCOMPLISHMENTS that may never be broken or duplicated. All three r phenomenal in their own way. Going back to my earlier point, I just can't see how some of the lists on here have Roy anywhere near the top 30, not to mention ranked over the other three...
    in reality, bhop is kind of overrated. at this point, most of his legacy comes from his longevity. he has been a top fighter for so many years that it just pushes him up the rankings despite not being super great. i would say that hagler, monzon, and robinson are all easily above him at middleweight and there are a handful of other middleweights throughout history that are arguably better. bhop just gets the nod over the other guys because of longevity. honestly, he isnt a fighter that is eye catching by any means. he is a great fighter but not its hard for me to call him elite.

i think that pac got very overrated also because of his 3 or so year dominance at a higher weight. i can see pac being ranked in the top 30 comfortably and maybe top 25, but the top 20 would be kind of pushing it for me. pac isnt the first person to beat bigger fighters. there are just so many joke belts now that he can win "titles" at different weights. if these belts existed for the last 100 years, there would be multiple fighters with this same accomplishment and probably even better.

jones actually dominated all of his competition. he never really had trouble in any fight before the first tarver fight. after that fight, he never looked the same again. you dont see many people staying at a top level for that long and really never having a close fight. yes, he didnt fight everyone, but neither has anybody. people like to pick on jones and mayweather for ducking fighters but pac ducked fighters on his way up too but for some reason nobody ever mentions it. i think that jones should be in the top 20 of all time. him and mayweather are close with pac and bhop lagging a little behind.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Who's going to bust Mayweather up? One of the many club fighters that these guys padded their records with?

Go look at the records of any of these guys: you'll see them fight guys with losing records, less than 10 fights, ect.

Floyd wouldn't be allowed to fight that kind of competition today because the Athletic Commissions wouldn't allow it because it wouldn't be a fair fight.
    You cant be serious? ( blasphemy)

Mayweather just had his biggest nightmare fight against a come forward no boxing skills fighter that almost took away his potential. Haven't you heard from Mayweathers mouth that his achilles heel is the amateur puncher? That might be why he won't get into the ring with pacquiao.
    Last edited by fan johnny; 05-15-2014 at 05:05 PM.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

In my opinion, when ranking fighters historically, accomplishments weighted against quality of opposition r the key. Take Ricardo Lopez as an example. To me he is one of the greatest n most complete fighters ever. That being said, I can't rank him over guys that actually had great competition around then because of level of competition.

Roy was an UNBELIEVABLE talent, but more so than any other fighter in history, Roy missed numerous chances to prove his greatness against his top challengers n biggest threats. Roy's biggest accomplishment, as per precious posts, was winning a (not thee) title at middle n heavyweight. To put in perspective what a HUGE accomplishment this was, a grossly overweight and out of shape James Toney performed this very same feet against the very same fighter. Ruiz was the weakest of all the belt holders, and both former 160 pound titlist Took advantage and picked up their belts. The fact is that Roy, in his prime, never fought a p4p ranked fighter (at time of the fight) and always had at least one rival in his same weight class who was viewed as a potential threat to his supremacy.

Manny has picked up titles at 8 weights, beaten HOF Barrera, morales, JMM, Cotto and tough competition in Ledwaba, Hatton, Larios, Clottey n Bradley. When he beat them Bradley (#3), Barrera (#3), and Morales (#6) were all ranked P4P at the time they fought.

Hop has too many accomplishments to name, n most were at middleweight. Hop defended the middle title 20 times successfully, which is a record that won't be broken this century. He has the fastest knockout in a middleweight fight n is the first to hold all four titles at the same time. He has held the lineal 175 pound title on multiple occasions, is the oldest to win a title, the oldest to defend a title, n the oldest to unify. His only losses post prime were disputed losses to Joe C (ranked #4 p4p at the time) n Jermain Taylor n a loss to Chad Dawson (ranked p4p at the time). Hop beat p4p ranked fighters (time of the fight) Tito, Winky, Tarver, Pavilik, and Pascal.

The biggest reason that Roy is so low on my list is that he was never able to overcome adversity n come back from his first loss. Manny avenged his loss to Morales n went on to have one of the greatest runs vs elite comp ever. Hop rebounded very time from one of his losses to add extraordinary achievements to his resume. Roy lost to Tarver n his mystique n aura of invincibility was gone. Tough to put him high on any list of ATGs if u r not overly biased for him.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The fact that Manny has so many titles is a joke in it self really to how many weight classes there are. 135 Daiz big fucking deal 154 Margarito who was suspect cheat and got fucking hammered to death by Mosley before hand. Only half of the tiles i think he was consider the champ of which was the lower weights and 140. Jones beat Bernard who went off to be a champ and Toney who was ranked second on the pound for pound. Morales is great but he was coming off a lose before fighting Pac and lost right after beating Pac never was anything again really. Barrera win was great but in prime years physical anyhow he got tooled by Jones even worse who was not a great what so ever. Then you have Jmm who most people never thought he won a fight between them the third fight consider robbery of the year by the ring and then at 40 years old Jmm knocked him out cold. As for Pound for pound Jones beating Ruiz is like Pac facing weak title holder at 168 or 175. Jones stared off at 154 and beat a guy who weight almost 230 when he he could not even make the limit to the weight a guy who had some success at hw as well that is a huge thing for Jones and kinda unheard of as well.
    Last edited by Mr140; 05-15-2014 at 11:26 PM.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

So, if I understand your point, Manny rising in weight and fighting those names is unimpressive. Guys like Barrera, Morales, Larios, Ledwaba, JMM, Hatton...etc. aren't really impressive. Roy's wins over a green Hop, Toney, MONTELL GRIFFIN, John Ruiz, and Tarver were way more impressive even though only Toney was ranked p4p at the time?!? I guess we will just agree to disagree. I am pretty sure that most historians would disagree with u n have Roy much higher, but all of this is subjective anyways...

Thread Information