Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you think of Gerald McClellan?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default What do you think of Gerald McClellan?

How good was McClellan and what was your take on the Benn fight?

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: What do you think of Gerald McClellan?

Awesome slugger who was very likable and great to watch, but probably wouldn't have beaten Toney Hopkins or Jones JR.
    Most bad government has grown out of too much government. Thomas Jefferson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I wouldn't label McClellan as a slugger only, he was (potentially) a great fighter who met a very sad ending in the fight game. He beat Jones in the Amateurs and in my opinion he would have beaten him in the pro ranks too. It would have been a closer call against Bernard Hopkins i think, but who knows what he may have achieved had he not suffered those injuries against Benn, and had he went about his work that night in another manner. He understimated Benn a great deal, even though the referee did Benn a few favours that night.
    Manny Steward said that McClellan was potentially the most gifted fighter he had worked with and that speaks volumes.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He feel into the trap that a lot of KO type fighers do,in that he never learnt to box at the highest leavel coz he used to KO every one.

Outside the ring he was a nasty pice of work from what I have read,very cruel to animals.
    Balls

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah, I heard he was a sick man outside the ring,can anyone fill me in?

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by The Game
    DD Posted up a thread about his cruelty to animals and it was sick!!!!

He may still have the link ?

......About the ref - Isn't there some rule about the fighter being given time to get back into the ring, if he goes through the ropes? Either way, the ref didn't throw a single punch, so it didn't help that much
    God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I'll say it again, God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I don't believe in magic, I don't believe in I-ching, I don't believe in bible, I don't believe in tarot, I don't believe in Hitler, I don't believe in Jesus, I don't believe in Kennedy, I don't believe in Buddha, I don't believe in mantra, I don't believe in Gita, I don't believe in yoga, I don't believe in kings, I don't believe in Elvis, I don't believe in Zimmerman, I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me!!

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Heres the link to the story about him shooting his dog and running over flamingos and stuff

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/osm/s...583541,00.html
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

cc fenster,thanks man.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Fenster
    God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I'll say it again, God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I don't believe in magic, I don't believe in I-ching, I don't believe in bible, I don't believe in tarot, I don't believe in Hitler, I don't believe in Jesus, I don't believe in Kennedy, I don't believe in Buddha, I don't believe in mantra, I don't believe in Gita, I don't believe in yoga, I don't believe in kings, I don't believe in Elvis, I don't believe in Zimmerman, I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

mccellan whooped benn in the  first round of an awesome fight, benn got knocked through the ropes but he was back in and up before a ten count. but benn was ducking really low in the first round aswell, almost rolling in to a ball, and apparently your not alowed to duck bellow the waist line or something. g man was really powerfull and nearly destroyed benn, but benn had the heart.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

this is something I didn't know (cruelty with animals) I must said that I hate persons doing that...and that if this story is true, he just had what he deserved.

sorry but no respect for people like that. I even once beat a guy because I saw him beating a cat to death...I can't stand cruelty to animals....

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Agreed - cruelty to animals is shit I just can't stomach.

Harsher penalties are needed for it. I just can't understand how you could be fucked in the head enough to inflict suffering on a poor animal.

I even hate killing flies man, but I have to because they are annoying and keep me awake... I feel guilty even doing that.
    "I take good care of my people. I like to inflict permanent psychological damage."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Agreed to some extent that McClellan never boxed more (a pity really because he had an exceptional jab) and agreed that he relied on his awesome knockout punches obviously too much i.e. 'Why stand there for twelve rounds when i can get it done in one?' Â A fantastic quote, but the problem was that he would obviously meet a higher class of opposition as he progressed. Â He beat some good fighters on his way to fighting Benn i.e. Julian Jackson twice, John Mugabi etc. But Benn was an undoubted step up in class who McClellan was sure was a fighter in decline who he would knock out, like many of his other victims, in the first round (and indeed he very nearly did). Â The Problem was that i think McClellan got complacent as he got cocksure in his own punching ability and was not the recipient of great advice (especially during the Benn fight). Â Had he stayed with Manny Steward we may have seen more of a boxer-puncher, an all round better fighter, but rumour is that McClellan was so self obsessed that he thought he had enough in his artillery without the further guidance of Steward. Â (He even taped his own hands before fights because he thought he could do it better than anyone else).

Outside the ring McClellan was said to be as nasty as he was inside, all rumour of-course. Â He was a lover of the fighting American Pit bull terrier, which i am myself. Â Only one story reveals how McClellan went to a pet shop and bought a mongrel, and took it home, then taped the mongrels mouth shut and let one of his fighting dogs go to work on it, obviously killing the mongrel. Â When McClellan was asked by a friend, why he felt he had to tape the mongrels mouth shut (as a pup mongrel would obviously stand no chance against a fighting dog, mouth taped shut or not) and McClellan was rumoured to have said that just like he, his dogs were fighters, and therefore, needed sparring practice, and while in sparring they didn't want to risk getting cut etc. so he taped the mongrels mouth shut in case the mongrel did any unlikely damage.
    McClellan pitted his dogs against others stating that they had to earn a living just like him, and indeed such fights were to the death. Â However, on one particular occasion McClellan was rumoured to have pulled his beloved dog 'Deuce' out of a fight that the dog was losing and took the blood soaked dog home in his brand new car, destroying the interior...

Rumours crop up here and there, but it's up to you whether you believe them or not. Â I believe that McClellan was a great fighter who came to a very sad and unfortunate end in his boxing career.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The referee - Alfred Asaro was so out of his depth in that fight it was untrue, a bigger name should have taken charge i.e. Mitch Halpern, Mills Lane etc. In-fact anyone except Asaro, that's how bad i think he was.
    Watch how he pushes McClellan back after Benn has seemingly recovered from the knock down. True, there is a certain amount of time given to a fighter knocked out of the ring (Benn even got a helpful push back into the
    ring) but i think that the Referee was very helpful on this occasion. The bottom line is, he was extremely poor during that fight.

Quote Originally Posted by BIG H
    Quote Originally Posted by The Game
    DD Posted up a thread about his cruelty to animals and it was sick!!!!

He may still have the link ?

......About the ref - Isn't there some rule about the fighter being given time to get back into the ring, if he goes through the ropes? Either way, the ref didn't throw a single punch, so it didn't help that muchÂ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

you had to love Gman in the ring. He was a real relentless thug in the ring. He was probably a Genghes Khan. He would totally obliterate his opponents with pure skilled viciousness.

He would have damaged Hopkins and Jones for sure. Jones never liked hard fights. Tarver proved that.

Thread Information