Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Martinez vs Cotto - How's This One Gonna Go Down?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Martinez vs Cotto - How's This One Gonna Go Down?

Martinez vs Cotto - How's This One Gonna Go Down?

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I hate to say it because I like Miguel much more but I think Cotto takes a beating. A one sided beating. His D is open to southpaws. Add size, speed and power and it's a problem. I really hope I'm wrong.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Martinez vs Cotto - How's This One Gonna Go Down?

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Appreciate the stream.

Lots of interesting things to take away.

Sergio
    looked fit but when you have knee issues the first thing doctors tell you to do is build your leg strength to support the ligaments. His legs were pencil thin still. That surprised me. Otherwise he looked good.

Cotto
    I'm glad he didn't bulk up. He's going to need every bit of speed he has. It's curious looking at him weighing in at 155 and looking less stout than when he weighed 140. Age is weird that way.

Like I've said I expect Sergio to dominate but if somehow Cotto wins I will trash Floyd or Manny if they instantly try to steal a middleweight title while a small guy carries it. Props to Cotto for going after a man that seems to have all the physical advantages. Even if he was a diva with all the demands.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

On paper this is a wash. On paper, a prime Martinez most likely destroys Cotto. On paper a prime Martinez could box his ears off. On paper a prime Martinez is stronger, most likely faster and carries much more pop.

Trouble is, Martinez is nowhere near his prime, has not boxed anyone's ears off in the last three years, is easily drawn into wars and has a nagging career injury that has most likely never healed.
    Did I mention he has no legs under him. I'm curious on the ring size. Cotto does not want him using the ring anyway even if he could so Sergio's physical limitations sit well with him. He wants the fight inside for the most part. Its his only shot at winning. Get Martinez tumbling around taking weight on and off those fragile legs and knees. He will most likely get ko'd by a counter like Williams because he's going to be hook happy via Roach but given the circumstances I think he has a real outside shot because the "on paper" has not been revised. Cotto is battle worn also but Martinez has been on a noticeable slide since Barker.

Cotto has to stay off the ropes and out of the corners unless he's the one steering. Roach trained Manny a southpaw to beat Cotto and because of that it gives Roach a unique view on how training Cotto to fight one. So perhaps Roach is now correcting the very mistakes he took advantage of when training Manny. Just a thought. Cotto is also an ok switch hitter and converted southpaw. That is what makes his left hook so poison. That is also where a problem comes in for me. Cotto is a hooker and Roach also and a hook pushy trainer. I keep seeing a Paul Williams flashback as Martinez is such a great counter puncher.

I think the Cotto team planned this perfectly and according to Roach on FOX sports last night Sergio had been wearing saran wrap and living in the sauna. Cotto needs to get through the first 4 rounds of this fight. Its an upset but it's not the biggest upset ever by a long shot either.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This Saturday night blockbuster at Madison Square Garden one will turn on whether Martinez (51-2-2) comes into the fight healthy and fit, as Cotto (38-4) would likely beat the Martinez that won a 115-112 across the board 12 rounder against Martin Murray in April 2013. But if this Martinez comes in fully fit and ready and recovered from his injuries, I see a different kind of fight.

Martinez will likely start slow as is his wont and allow Cotto to do some decent work from the outside including some hooks to the body. However, once the Argentinian finds his rhythm and most importantly, his separation, he will once again become the Matador we are used to seeing and will begin throwing the heavy-handed pot shots that should break up Cotto’s very vulnerable facial skin. At this point, Miguel will begin to back up and allow the more athletic Sergio to prepare for the kill, but unlike horrific and shameful real life Bull Fighting, Cotto will still have a chance in this one just as Chavez Jr. did. Still, once Sergio smells blood, he won’t make the same mistake he made against Junior in the last round of their fight and will stop Cotto with his superior late power, possibly in the eleventh round as he did with Mathew Macklin and Darren Baker. .

“If you want loyalty, buy a dog.” Ricky Hatton

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Cottos face will show the result after the fight.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

No idea, 50-50 fight for me. I like both boxers. I'll just sit back and enjoy the fight.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I like both fighters, but style and size advantage has me betting on a late stoppage win for Martinez. If Sergio's knee is severely damaged, Cotto can win, but I would bet on Sergio in this one.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Martinez by late ko as long as his knees hold up, which is a big question mark

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by toe2toe View Post
    No idea, 50-50 fight for me. I like both boxers. I'll just sit back and enjoy the fight.
    You took the words right out of my mouth. Wishing them both luck and for a good fight.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by toe2toe View Post
    I feel the same way, except I do think this fight favors Martinez, even if he is shop worn.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Good takes in here, it's a fight that could go either way imo, and it's pretty tough to root against either fighter. I do think that Roach and company must have a good idea that Martinez won't be on his past form, he really did look like ass against Murray and that was well over a year ago now I believe. Then again, being a southpaw, the bigger man with KO power gives Martinez every chance to end this quickly no matter what, at least the way I see it. Will be very interesting to see how Cotto approaches the early rounds, he won't want to let Martinez get into a rhythm and shake off rust, but he may be leaving himself open if he tries to press whatever advantage he has in the legs department.

Smart of Cotto to come in light as well, he obviously didn't have to think about weight whatsoever during camp and if Martinez did struggle at all that could be another factor.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Lots of unknowns in this fight. Should make for an interesting night!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I dunno. Lots of variables in this one with Martinez' age and injuries.

It'll be a real good match though, it'll "bring a penis to the people" as Pacquiao says...

Thread Information