Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

View Poll Results: Gennady Golovkin vs. Miguel Cotto: who would win?

Voters
25. This poll is closed
  • Golovkin by KO/TKO

20 80.00%
  • Golovkin by decision

2 8.00%
  • Cotto by KO/TKO

1 4.00%
  • Cotto by decision

0 0%
  • Evenly matched, difficult to predict

2 8.00%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gennady Golovkin vs. Miguel Cotto: who would win?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Gennady Golovkin vs. Miguel Cotto: who would win?

Who takes it?

Cotto is Ring middleweight champion, Golovkin is ranked #1.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

My money is on GGG. I would feel comfortable betting about 3 grand for him to win by late stoppage, assuming I could get pick em or better odds. Can't see Cotto lasting under the pressure n with GGG's punch.

That being said, if Cotto could use the jab effectively n smart movement he could score the upset. Even though he hurt Sergio, I don't think Cotto will have the strength and power to have serious effects on big, strong middleweights like GGG. He should either rematch Floyd for the belt or drop it and go back down. Nothing good for him staying at 160.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Gennady Golovkin vs. Miguel Cotto: who would win?

Has Golovkin fought anyone as dangerous and genuine world class as Cotto yet?

I didnt take a great deal of notice before last nights fight but I'm betting Cotto was considered to be getting a battering from the bigger stronger Martinez?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

GGG. though not easily.

“If you want loyalty, buy a dog.” Ricky Hatton

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Golovkin. Styles and just a bit of fans taking a deep breath. Great win last night, but absolutely different style and approach. Golovkin does a better Cotto than Cotto does. Foundation and hooks, stubby educated jab and body shots.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Golovkin. Styles and just a bit of fans taking a deep breath. Great win last night, but absolutely different style and approach. Golovkin does a better Cotto than Cotto does. Foundation and hooks, stubby educated jab and body shots.
    Again, against who?

Cotto has been succeeding against multiple world champions in multiple weights. He's proven.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ross View Post
    Again, against who?

Cotto has been succeeding against multiple world champions in multiple weights. He's proven.
    Oh no, Cotto has definitely run at a higher level longer. I've scrutinized him and he needs to be. For me its just comes down to style and think he would be able to implement them on Cotto. Cotto was still catching jabs from Martinez and flat footed today. Bad combination with a fresher, harder hitting Golovkin I think. Whatever purpose the Geale fight serves, if anything it should see him against one of the better movers he has faced. He's going to have to shuffle his feet faster to track him down and might be interesting.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Again, against who?

Oh no, Cotto has definitely run at a higher level longer. I've scrutinized him and he needs to be. For me its just comes down to style and think he would be able to implement them on Cotto. Cotto was still catching jabs from Martinez and flat footed today. Bad combination with a fresher, harder hitting Golovkin I think. Whatever purpose the Geale fight serves, if anything it should see him against one of the better movers he has faced. He's going to have to shuffle his feet faster to track him down and might be interesting.
    I'd rather tell people I got caught with jabs from Sergio than Adama...he had GG's head flying back like a PEZ dispensor.

Slow as Adama is,he was able to set-up GG and walk him into CLEAN right hands.

Adama couldn't hit Cotto with rice at a wedding.

Mentioned
    391 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Cotto beat GGG NO CHANCE, GGG was a outstanding amateur and is way to much, for any
    middle weight out there.
    Cotto is not a proper middle weight, lets remember he has lost in lower weight divisions,
    he's to small for GGG I never kid myself, this ends only one way Cotto being KO.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

GGG stopped Adama, right? From some of the comments u would think it was life and death vice the systematic break down it was.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by cyclone View Post
    Again, against who?

I'd rather tell people I got caught with jabs from Sergio than Adama...he had GG's head flying back like a PEZ dispensor.

Slow as Adama is,he was able to set-up GG and walk him into CLEAN right hands.

Adama couldn't hit Cotto with rice at a wedding.
    Honestly think that had more to do with Golovkin complacency and treating it like a low level sparring session than it does his defense. He never lost control. Fielding a few jabs from a Adama doesn't matter when you've beat someone better before and are set to do so after.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Again, against who?

Who has Cotto beat? Apart from an old Martinez, which really means shit? He lost to Trout, Mayweather and Pac Man. His best win is again Mosely and thats back in 2007. Since that he aint done anything big. Yes hes beaten good fighters but he loses when he steps up. Nothing he has done suggests he will beat Golovkin. Smaller men arent gonna cause GGG any problems particularly with his style. But dont worry its another fighter who will avoid GGG.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Silkeyjoe View Post
    Again, against who?

Who has Cotto beat? Apart from an old Martinez, which really means shit? He lost to Trout, Mayweather and Pac Man. His best win is again Mosely and thats back in 2007. Since that he aint done anything big. Yes hes beaten good fighters but he loses when he steps up. Nothing he has done suggests he will beat Golovkin. Smaller men arent gonna cause GGG any problems particularly with his style. But dont worry its another fighter who will avoid GGG.
    That's really extreme, understand the contrary side of it but there's no way GGG has proven himself the way Cotto has just yet, come on. I totally agree that would be an insane fight for Cotto to take, or that Golovkin would have beaten the crap out of Martinez for probably the last few years as well, but give some credit. Miguel has been a joy to watch forever, and he has a bunch of great wins and performances. All of his losses barring Trout are still a credit to him really, Golovkin just hasn't mixed it on that level yet and probably never will. He'd have to fight Ward to take anywhere near the equivalent risk of fighting Floyd and Manny in their primes! Cotto is a quadruple OG without question.
    Last edited by p4pking; 06-09-2014 at 09:54 AM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This fight won't happen, because Cotto won't take it.

I don't think Cotto has any real desire to me a middleweight. Him and Roach saw an opportunity to fight a big named, highly respected champion who had sharply declined for years prior and was ripe for the picking, and now they're either going to go back down to 154 and chase a fight with Canelo, or possibly use the MW championship as bate to lure Floyd into a rematch at a weird catch weight for the middleweight title, so Floyd can say he was the MW champ.

I guarantee you all Cotto has absolutely no desire to stay at MW. He's not big enough to hang at that weight. He was hardly big enough for 154.

I know people love Cotto but they are getting carried away and not seeing the Sergio win for what it really was.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by p4pking View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Silkeyjoe View Post
    Again, against who?

That's really extreme, understand the contrary side of it but there's no way GGG has proven himself the way Cotto has just yet, come on. I totally agree that would be an insane fight for Cotto to take, or that Golovkin would have beaten the crap out of Martinez for probably the last few years as well, but give some credit. Miguel has been a joy to watch forever, and he has a bunch of great wins and performances. All of his losses barring Trout are still a credit to him really, Golovkin just hasn't mixed it on that level yet and probably never will. He'd have to fight Ward to take anywhere near the equivalent risk of fighting Floyd and Manny in their primes! Cotto is a quadruple OG without question.
    He has proven himself. He is an elite fighter. But his rec of being a 4 weight world champ is such BS. He manages to win his 1st title at Light Welter against Cesar Bazan for a vacant title and defends it against plenty of average fighters (Paulie is probably the best of them), then at Welter he gets a shot against Quintana another for another vacant title and defends against Judah and Mosely which imo are his best wins. After his loss to Margarito he gets yet another shot for a vacant title against Michael Jennings, again, another ordinary fighter. He manages is to scrape a decision against Clottey, who is a good, but limited, and you would expect a top fighter to beat him pretty comfortably, before getting destroyed by Pacman.

He then straight away gets a shot at Foreman for his LMW title, another below par champ and defends against past it Mayorga and Margarito before getting beating soundly by Floyd. Then he gets another shot at a title against a decent fighter (but again limited) versus Trout who he was expected to beat easily and lost. He then gets a comeback fight against an ok fighter in Rodriguez which earns him a MW title shot where he gets to dictate terms and is allowed to make a fight for a MW strap at catchweight? Its complete BS.

GGG officially won his title against a poor LMW in Ouma but really won it when he won the interim strap in Panama against a poor fighter in Nunez. Sturm at this point got elevated to super champ and completely ducked GGG and chose to fight Macklin, Murray, and Geale instead (and got little to no criticism for fighting these fighters). Golovkin has since defended his title against poor top tier fighters but since "top tier fighters" at MW wont fight him what is he to do. He gets a good test in Geale and people call it poor opposition?

The double standards are shocking. Ive never tried to claim GGGs opposition are better then they are but they do seem to be the best he can get at MW. He was caught to easily at times against Stevens and Adama managed to land about 3 right hands in the fight and this makes him a fraud? His power is astonishing, his footwork is excellent and his jab is underrated. Cotto hasnt been able to beat a top guy in his division since 2007, I dont see why hed be able to do it now at a heavier weight.

Thread Information