Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  59
Likes Likes:  323
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 18 of 70 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868 ... LastLast

Thread: This day in boxing. A look back.

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: This day in boxing. A look back.

Quote Originally Posted by greynotsoold View Post
    Was that the fight where Monzon finished Benvenuti with that monster of a right hand?

Yes the first fight. Walked him into the corner and nailed him but he hurt him several seconds earlier. Just FF to about 49:30. If you ask me Monzon looks sloppy in this fight and easily hit.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Carlos Monzon

Was not a refined boxer, he was a 'tough-bastard' Argentinian/Indian Street Fighter.

Carlos Monzon >

"I don't get paid to fight pretty."

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by IamInuit View Post
    Was that the fight where Monzon finished Benvenuti with that monster of a right hand?

Yes the first fight. Walked him into the corner and nailed him but he hurt him several seconds earlier. Just FF to about 49:30. If you ask me Monzon looks sloppy in this fight and easily hit.

I've never been a big believer in the whole Monzon thing, but that right hand came out of the sky like the Hammer of God. Monster punch.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I've never been a big believer in the whole Monzon thing, but that right hand came out of the sky like the Hammer of God. Monster punch.
    Me either but that was indeed a brutal punch. Must have been tough being Locche in those days.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Carlos Monzon

Was 'not' a fan favorite in Buenos Aires, Argentina.

He was regarded as a 'street thug' by the Upper-Class and 'hoity-toity'
    people in Argentina during that period.

Carlos was appreciated more by the people of the Northern Provinces
    and Rural Areas {Cowboys/Ranchers/Farmers}.
    Last edited by Bill Paxtom; 11-07-2014 at 08:03 PM.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Nov 8

Fight of the day

1997: Evander Holyfield KO 8 Michael Moorer

1937: Billy Conn W 10 Young Corbett 3, Pittsburgh.

1980: Hilmer Kenty W 15 Vilomar Fernandez, Detroit. Retains WBA Lightweight Title.

-Sergio Palma KO 9 Ulises Morales, Buenos Aires. Retains WBA Super Bantamweight Title.

1985: Victor Callejas KO 7 Loris Stecca, Rimini, Italy. Retains WBA Super Bantamweight Title.

1988: Sumbu Kalambay KO 7 Doug DeWitt, Monte Carlo. Retains WBA Middleweight Title.

1989: Dave McAuley W 12 Dodie Penalosa, Wembley. Retains IBF Flyweight Title.

1995: Hiroshi Kawashima KO 3 Boy Aruan Indio, Tokyo. Retains WBC Super Flyweight Title.

1997: Evander Holyfield KO 8 Michael Moorer, Las Vegas. Retains WBA/regains IBF Heavyweight Title.

-Imamu Mayfield W 12 Uriah Grant, Las Vegas. Wins IBF Cruiserweight Title.

-Fabrice Tiozzo W 12 Nate Miller, Las Vegas. Wins WBA Cruiserweight Title.

-Wilfredo Vasquez W 12 Genaro Rios, Las Vegas. Retains WBA Featherweight Title. Rios got jobbed big time.

1999: Hideki Todaka W 12 Akihito Nago, Tokyo. Retains WBA Super Flyweight Title.

2002: Johnny Bredahl W 12 Leo Gamez, Copenhagen, Denmark. Retains WBA Bantamweight Title.

2003: Roy Jones Jr. W 12 Antonio Tarver, Las Vegas. Retains World Light Heavyweight Title.

-Winky Wright W 12 Angel Hernandez, Las Vegas. Retains IBF Super Welterweight Title.

2004: Mahyar Monshipour KO 6 Yoddamrong Sithyadthong, Paris. Retains WBA Super Bantamweight Title.

A federal jury in Las Vegas convicts manager Robert Mitchell, 42, and boxer Thomas Williams, 35, on one count of conspiracy to commit sports bribery and one count of sports bribery. According to Daniel G. Bogen, U.S. attorney for Nevada, Mitchell and Williams fixed fights from March 1995 to August 2000.
    2008: Joe Calzaghe W 12 Roy Jones Jr., NYC. Retains World Light Heavyweight Title.

-Arthur Abraham KO 6 Raul Marquez, Bamberg, Bayern, Germany.

2014: Sergey Kovalev W 12 Bernard Hopkins, Atlantic City. Unifies WBO, IBF and WBA light-heavyweight titles.
    Last edited by IamInuit; 11-10-2014 at 12:15 AM.

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

When I was a real little kid I knew this guy that had fought pro in the Teens and early 20s of the last century. He'd have me get in my stance and he'd tell me "Never get you chin ahead of your left knee" and he'd tap me under the chin. Somebody should have taught that to Michael Moorer way way before he got to that point in his career.
    I'd forgotten how many punches Holyfield took and how comically muscular he was.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

When I was a real little kid I knew this guy that had fought pro in the Teens and early 20s of the last century. He'd have me get in my stance and he'd tell me "Never get you chin ahead of your left knee" and he'd tap me under the chin. Somebody should have taught that to Michael Moorer way way before he got to that point in his career.
    I'd forgotten how many punches Holyfield took and how comically muscular he was.
    Yup. That is one of the first things I look at when watching a fight. Is person A or B in front of their body with their face lol. Where are their feet in relationship to that overhang? Sweet revenge for Holy.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Holyfield should never have lost to Moorer the first time, you could tell he was injured. The second time should have been even easier. Holyfield was musclebound to take on Bowe and Tyson types but he was better for this fight when he was lighter an beat Douglas, Thomas, Cooper and Dokes.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Nov 9

Fight of the day

1996: Evander Holyfield vs Mike Tyson

1910: Abe Attell ND 6 Owen Moran, Philadelphia.

1927: Tiger Flowers D 10 Maxie Rosenbloom, Detroit.

1932: Lou Scozza KO 6 James J. Braddock, San Francisco. Referee: Benny Wagner.

1936: John Henry Lewis W 15 Len Harvey, London. Retains World Light Heavyweight Title.

1969: Hiroshi Kobayashi W 15 Carlos Canete, Tokyo. Retains World Super Featherweight Title.

1984: Larry Holmes KO 12 Bonecrusher Smith, Las Vegas. Retains IBF Heavyweight Title.

1989: Simon Brown W 12 Luis Santana, Springfield, MA. Retains IBF Welterweight Title.

1993: Virgil Hill KO 10 Saul Montana, Bismark, ND. Retains WBA Light Heavyweight Title.

1996: Evander Holyfield KO 11 Mike Tyson, Las Vegas. Regains WBA Heavyweight Title again. Judges scoring at time of stoppage: Dalby Shirley 96-92, Frederico Vollmer 100-93, Jerry Roth 96-92.

-Michael Moorer KO 12 Frans Botha, Las Vegas. Retains IBF Heavyweight Title.
    -Steve Collins KO 6 Nigel Benn, Manchester, England.
    -Winky Wright W 12 Ensley Bingham, Manchester, England.
    -Antonio Cermeno KO 5 Eddy Saenz, Las Vegas. Retains WBA Super Bantamweight Title.
    -Ricardo Lopez KO 6 Morgan Ndumo, Las Vegas. Retains WBC Strawweight Title.

2001: Irene Pacheco KO 4 Mike Trejo, San Antonio, TX. Retains IBF Flyweight Title.

2002: Paul Spadafora W 12 Dennis Holbaek, Newell, WV. Retains IBF Lightweight Title.

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Great thread.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Tyson lands a big right hand with his first punch but he is not the same fighter that fought Berbick. No combinations, head movement and belief his confidence was gone once backed up.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Nov 10

Fight of the day. Couple of good candidates but took Shane/Cotto. Had that fight been 15 Shane may have gotten it.

Miguel Cotto vs Sugar Shane Mosley

1910: Sam Langford KO 2 Jeff Clark, Joplin, MO.
    Langford defends world ‘colored’ heavyweight title claim Sam Langford won over Jeff Clark of Joplin in the second round of what was to have been a ten-round bout here tonight. The fight was stopped when Clark was all but out. Before he would fight Langford insisted that the ring be reduced to sixteen feet square. From the tap of the gong Langford rushed, showering short jabs to the body. The force of his onslaught rendered Clark powerless and he was knocked to the floor for the count of eight three times in the first round. He came back gamely, but after two minutes of the second round, after he had gone down twice, the referee stopped the fight, giving Langford the decision.
    (Indianapolis Star).

1921: Johnny Buff W 15 Jack Sharkey, NYC. Retains World Bantamweight Title.

1931: James J. Braddock NC 2 Maxie Rosenbloom, Minneapolis.

1965: Joey Archer W 10 Sugar Ray Robinson (44), Pittsburgh. Referee: Buck McTiernan. Robinson is dropped in sixth. Robinson’s last fight.

1968: Chartchai Chinoi W 15 Bernabe Villacampo, Bangkok. Retains World flyweight Title.

1972: Rodolfo Gonzalez KO 13 Chango Carmona, Los Angeles. Wins WBC Lightweight Title.

1978: Larry Holmes KO 7 Alfredo Evangelista, Las Vegas. Retains WBC Heavyweight Title.

-Alexis Arguello W 15 Arturo Leon, Las Vegas. Retains WBC Super Featherweight Title.

1983: Marvelous Marvin Hagler W 15 Roberto Duran, Las Vegas. Retains World Middleweight Title.

1985: Jung Koo Chang W 12 Jorge Cano, Daejon, S. Korea. Retains WBC Junior Flyweight Title.

1990: Myung Woo Yuh W 12 Leo Gamez, Seoul. Retains WBA Junior Flyweight Title.

1996: Yokthai Sith-Oar KO 2 Jack Siahaya, Province, Thailand. Retains WBA Super Flyweight Title.

2000: Irene Pacheco W 12 Hawk Makepula, Las Vegas. Retains IBF Flyweight Title.

2001: Floyd Mayweather Jr. KO 9 Jesus Chavez, San Francisco. Retains World Super Featherweight Title.

-Manny Pacquiao Tech. Draw 6 Agapito Sanchez, San Francisco. Retains IBF Super Bantamweight Title.

2006: Steve Molitor KO 5 Michael Hunter, Hartlepool, England. Wins vacant IBF Super Bantamweight Title.

2007: David Haye KO 7 Jean-Marc Mormeck, Paris. Wins World Cruiserweight Title. Haye down in the 4th.

-Miguel Cotto W 12 Sugar Shane Mosley, NYC. Retains WBA Welterweight Title. Referee: Benjy Esteves Jr. | judge: Glenn Feldman 115-113 | judge: Wynn Kintz 116-113 | judge: Peter Trematerra 115-113.

-Joel Casamayor W 12 Jose Armando Santa Cruz, NYC. Retains World Lightweight.Title. Referee: Steve Smoger | judge: Frank Lombardi 114-113 | judge: Ron McNair 114-113 | judge: Tony Paolillo 113-114. Jobbing of the year and most likely a candidate for worst decision of the decade.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Nov 11

Fight of the day. Two on this holiday Remembrance day.

1972: Carlos Monzon vs Bennie Briscoe

2000: Lennox Lewis vs David Tua

1901: Harry Forbes KO 2 Dan Dougherty, St. Louis. Wins World Bantamweight Title.

1904: Jack Britton W 6 Jack Nelson, Milwaukee. Britton’s pro debut.

1924: Jimmy McLarnin D 4 Fidel laBarba, Vernon, CA.

1953: Jimmy Carter KO 5 Armando Savoie, Montreal. Retains World Lightweight Title.

1971: Kuniaki Shibata D 15 Ernesto Marcel, Matsuyama, Japan. Retains WBC Featherweight Title.

1972: Carlos Monzon W 15 Bennie Briscoe, Buenos Aires. Retains World Middleweight title. Monzon avenges a previous draw

1975: Jae Do Yuh KO 6 Masahiro Misako, Shizuoka, Japan. Retains WBA Super Welterweight Title.

1978: Hugo Corro W 15 Rodrigo Valdez, Buenos Aires. Retains World Middleweight Title.

1982: Jiro Watanabe KO 12 Shoji Oguma, Hamanatsu, Japan.* Retains WBA Super Flyweight Title.

1988: Virgil Hill KO 10 Willie Featherstone, Bismark, ND. Retains WBA Light Heavyweight Title.
    -Jose Sanabria KO 6 Thierry Jacob, Gravelines, France. Retains IBF Super Bantamweight Title.

1994: Julio Cesar Vasquez W 12 Tony Marshall, Tucuman, Argentina. Retains WBA Super Welterweight Title.

2000: Lennox Lewis W 12 David Tua, Las Vegas. Retains World Heavyweight Title.

2001: Jose Antonio Aguirre KO 3 Wolf Tokimitsu, Okayama, Japan. Retains WBC Strawweight Title.

2006: Wladimir Klitschko KO 7 Calvin Brock, NYC. Retains IBF Heavyweight Title.
    -Hozumi Hasegawa W 12 Genaro Garcia, Tokyo. Retains WBC Bantamweight Title.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Briscoe was a tough man but Monzon was greater.

Thread Information