Boxing Forums


.



User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  50
Likes Likes:  290
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 67 of 67 FirstFirst ... 1757656667
Results 991 to 998 of 998

Thread: This day in boxing. A look back.

Share/Bookmark
  1. #991
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    23,774
    Mentioned
    512 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    1792
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: This day in boxing. A look back.

    Only older Puerto Rican boxing fans remember and thus rate Carlos Ortiz as one of the greatest Puerto Rican fighters. Typical I guess, of any sport and most places. Carlos' trilogy with Ismael Laguna was one of the greatest in its time.
    When asked to list the greatest Puerto Rican fighters ever... few nowadays include Ortiz on the list... a list to which he most certainly belongs.

  2. #992
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    On the levee
    Posts
    41,768
    Mentioned
    404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    4864
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: This day in boxing. A look back.

    Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    Only older Puerto Rican boxing fans remember and thus rate Carlos Ortiz as one of the greatest Puerto Rican fighters. Typical I guess, of any sport and most places. Carlos' trilogy with Ismael Laguna was one of the greatest in its time.
    When asked to list the greatest Puerto Rican fighters ever... few nowadays include Ortiz on the list... a list to which he most certainly belongs.
    Seems it's bit all over the boards but he rates very high. As with much of the sport I think we can easily fall into a 'what I lived I actually know' mind set. What have you done for us recently. Some lists rate a Cotto, Trinidad, Rosario or Camacho pretty high but truth is imo they couldn't hold a candle to the technical prowess of Ortiz.

  3. #993
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    13,192
    Mentioned
    121 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    1784
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: This day in boxing. A look back.

    Angelo Dundee would have been a hundred years old this week. This is a good read:

    https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...trainer-boxing

  4. #994
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    On the levee
    Posts
    41,768
    Mentioned
    404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    4864
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: This day in boxing. A look back.

    Larry saw Jesus this night in 79 . Got caught leading with the short uppercut and still not sure how he got up!

  5. #995
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    60,180
    Mentioned
    1601 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    2846
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: This day in boxing. A look back.

    That was a good watch.

    Legend Marvin Gaye singing the national anthem was the best I have ever heard it sung.

    How Larry took that right hand is amazing. I think he could have taken Tyson’s right hand if he was at his peak, shame it was 9 years later for him.

    Real hard men who dug deep to try and win.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

  6. #996
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    The Edge Of Nowhere
    Posts
    24,224
    Mentioned
    920 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    1172
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: This day in boxing. A look back.

    Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Larry saw Jesus this night in 79 . Got caught leading with the short uppercut and still not sure how he got up!

    What an upload! Just perfect in every way. Loved that it kept the ads, we never saw a lot of them here. Here the Olympus ads were always someone saying..."Who do you think you are....David Bailey?" to ..David Bailey. Loved the sound of that venue and the whole vibe.. great fight and even had blinkin Bruce/ Caitlyn Jenner as a bonus easter egg

    Ledge
    Hidden Content

    "I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

  7. #997
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    On the levee
    Posts
    41,768
    Mentioned
    404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    4864
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: This day in boxing. A look back.

    Quote Originally Posted by Beanz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Larry saw Jesus this night in 79 . Got caught leading with the short uppercut and still not sure how he got up!

    What an upload! Just perfect in every way. Loved that it kept the ads, we never saw a lot of them here. Here the Olympus ads were always someone saying..."Who do you think you are....David Bailey?" to ..David Bailey. Loved the sound of that venue and the whole vibe.. great fight and even had blinkin Bruce/ Caitlyn Jenner as a bonus easter egg

    Ledge
    Love to see the bigger library of the original uploader. Real 'complete' feel of era and bit of a time capsule with full pre fight and uncut network telecast. I used to always leave ads in when I edited for sales and trades though some would whine about losing room etc. Talk about a picture of just how massive boxing was on regular cable in the day. And the undercard was filled out with Leonard..Wilfredo Gomez..and Roberto Duran!

  8. #998
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    23,774
    Mentioned
    512 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    1792
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: This day in boxing. A look back.

    The Thrilla in Manilla..... October 1, 1975





    Still one of the greatest fights in the history of boxing. The best fight of the trilogy... and one that cemented the legacy of both Ali and Frazier.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Similar Threads

  1. Back to Boxing
    By Abelardus in forum Boxing Talk
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-30-2014, 01:59 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-09-2009, 06:29 PM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-14-2008, 03:30 PM
  4. Boxing may come Back to CBS
    By Lance Uppercut in forum Boxing Talk
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-24-2008, 03:35 PM
  5. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-12-2007, 09:26 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  





Boxing | Boxing Photos | Boxing News | Boxing Videos | Boxing Forum | Boxing Books | Boxing Posters | Learn to Box | Advanced Fighting Methods | Boxing Rankings | Boxing Schedule | Auctions | Fun and Games | Boxing Equipment

Copyright © 2000 - 2020 Saddo Boxing - Boxing