Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  58
Likes Likes:  321
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 67 of 70 FirstFirst ... 17576566676869 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,005 of 1041

Thread: This day in boxing. A look back.

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: This day in boxing. A look back.

Only older Puerto Rican boxing fans remember and thus rate Carlos Ortiz as one of the greatest Puerto Rican fighters. Typical I guess, of any sport and most places. Carlos' trilogy with Ismael Laguna was one of the greatest in its time.
    When asked to list the greatest Puerto Rican fighters ever... few nowadays include Ortiz on the list... a list to which he most certainly belongs.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    Only older Puerto Rican boxing fans remember and thus rate Carlos Ortiz as one of the greatest Puerto Rican fighters. Typical I guess, of any sport and most places. Carlos' trilogy with Ismael Laguna was one of the greatest in its time.
    When asked to list the greatest Puerto Rican fighters ever... few nowadays include Ortiz on the list... a list to which he most certainly belongs.
    Seems it's bit all over the boards but he rates very high. As with much of the sport I think we can easily fall into a 'what I lived I actually know' mind set. What have you done for us recently. Some lists rate a Cotto, Trinidad, Rosario or Camacho pretty high but truth is imo they couldn't hold a candle to the technical prowess of Ortiz.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Angelo Dundee would have been a hundred years old this week. This is a good read:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...trainer-boxing

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Larry saw Jesus this night in 79 . Got caught leading with the short uppercut and still not sure how he got up!

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That was a good watch.

Legend Marvin Gaye singing the national anthem was the best I have ever heard it sung.

How Larry took that right hand is amazing. I think he could have taken Tyson’s right hand if he was at his peak, shame it was 9 years later for him.

Real hard men who dug deep to try and win.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Larry saw Jesus this night in 79 . Got caught leading with the short uppercut and still not sure how he got up!

What an upload! Just perfect in every way. Loved that it kept the ads, we never saw a lot of them here. Here the Olympus ads were always someone saying..."Who do you think you are....David Bailey?" to ..David Bailey. Loved the sound of that venue and the whole vibe.. great fight and even had blinkin Bruce/ Caitlyn Jenner as a bonus easter egg

Ledge
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Beanz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post

What an upload! Just perfect in every way. Loved that it kept the ads, we never saw a lot of them here. Here the Olympus ads were always someone saying..."Who do you think you are....David Bailey?" to ..David Bailey. Loved the sound of that venue and the whole vibe.. great fight and even had blinkin Bruce/ Caitlyn Jenner as a bonus easter egg

Ledge
    Love to see the bigger library of the original uploader. Real 'complete' feel of era and bit of a time capsule with full pre fight and uncut network telecast. I used to always leave ads in when I edited for sales and trades though some would whine about losing room etc. Talk about a picture of just how massive boxing was on regular cable in the day. And the undercard was filled out with Leonard..Wilfredo Gomez..and Roberto Duran!

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The Thrilla in Manilla..... October 1, 1975

Still one of the greatest fights in the history of boxing. The best fight of the trilogy... and one that cemented the legacy of both Ali and Frazier.

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Kostya Tszyu v Leonardo Mas JAN 18 1997

Cortez as ref
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Oscar De La HoyaV Miguel Angel Gonzalez (same card as above)

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

JAN 18 1986

Samart Payakaroon v Lupe Pintor Bangkok

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

18 JAN 1962: Eder Jofre v Johnny Caldwell, Sao Paulo.

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Leonardo Mas was faking it against Tszyu.

Gonzales was a good fighter but Oscar was too skilful and quick for him.

Brutal punch by Payakaroon that knocked out Pintor

Always wanted to see Eder Jofre box, as his record was amazing.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The month of June held mixed fortunes for the great Joe Louis. It was in June when “The Brown Bomber” suffered the only defeat of his prime, this when massive underdog Max Schmeling “saw something” and shocked the 24-0 Louis by 12th round KO. This blip – a big blip indeed – slowed Joe’s progress as far as him being crowned world heavyweight champion. For a while. But Louis, still only 22 years old, regrouped and went on to win seven fights on the spin, all but one by KO.

Then, in June of 1937 – 85 years ago today – Louis challenged James J. Braddock for the crown. Dropped early, in the opening round, Louis retained his composure and then proceeded to give Braddock a hiding, stopping him in round eight with a smashing right hand to the chin that left the fallen fighter on the mat for some time. Joe, however, said he would not, could not, call himself champion until he defeated one man – Max Schmeling.

The rematch, which took place on June 22 of 1938, was one of the single most important and historic boxing matches of all-time, maybe it was THE single most important fight in history. With WWII looming, “Nazi” Schmeling was the clear enemy as far as Americans were concerned. “Joe, we need muscles like yours to beat Germany,” President Franklin D. Roosevelt told Louis before the fight he simply had to win.

With millions listening to the fight on radio, with unimaginable pressure on the shoulders of both fighters, the two met in ring centre. The fight turned out to be a mismatch of the highest order. Louis as motivated as hell, unleashed sheer hell on poor Max. Joe dropped Schmeling three times in a little over two-minutes, with his body shot literally paralysing Schmeling. The white towel of surrender fluttered into the ring at Yankee Stadium (this the scene of the first Louis-Schmeling fight). Hitler ordered the radio transmission of the fight be cut.

Louis had scored the most important victory of his life and of his career. “The Brown Bomber” had also made the fourth of an eventual 25 world title retentions. Schmeling went back to Germany, where he was called up as a parachutist. But Max was no Nazi, as the story of how he risked his life by hiding two Jewish children in his apartment proves.

In later years, these two fine fighting men became quite friendly. Joe Louis is today revered as one of the greatest fighters of all-time. Joe died in 1981, aged just 66. Max lived well into old age, passing away in 2005 aged 99.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/webco...b2de13c5df0d75

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

From August of 80. Forgot what a mash up this one turned into. Think it was case of Arguello rematch opponent falling out so Boza Edwards came in from undercard. Unofficial 135 debut for El Explosivo who would go on a tear. Future champ Boza-Edwards stepped right up and left his mark. What I wouldn't give to have an Arguello at lightweight today. They were just cut different then.

Thread Information