Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  58
Likes Likes:  321
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 62 of 70 FirstFirst ... 12526061626364 ... LastLast

Thread: This day in boxing. A look back.

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: This day in boxing. A look back.

Quote Originally Posted by Syntax Error View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    SRL's the true TBE for me... but his fight with Hagler left me as unsatisfied as two other megafights..... Trinidad-De La Hoya, and Mayweather-Pacquaio.

It baffled me just how wrongly Hagler fought Leonard that night. Imagine destroying Hearns in three rounds in one fight.... and then pussy-footing his way to a decision loss to Leonard in the other.

IMO, Hagler had no one to blame but himself for that loss. SRL may be the TBE to me, but Hagler was still one of the most fearsome MW's in history.

Had he pressed the action the full 12, it may have been a totally different outcome.

Still, with all the HOF scalps on his record, it's hard to argue against SRL as the TBE.
    TBE should be SRR it is ingrained in all boxing nerdom.

Leonard is an ATG but that comeback made me hate him with a passion. Very manipulative, opportunistic and had no substance to it when he fought Lalonde, Hearns and Duran. So much so that I loved what Norris and Macho Man did to him.

Hagler made many mistakes that cost him that fight boxing orthodox for one but that judge who saw all those flashy cluster punches from Leonard that caused no damage really ruined the fight.

I know... I'm an against the flow kind of guy on the TBE thing.

I didn't like it when Leonard beat Benitez, but the list of scalps he ended up with is nothing if not spectacular. Benitez, Duran, Hearns, Hagler....... doesn't get much better than that. Epic fights, too.

Only the Hagler fight was underwhelming for me, and I put the blame squarely on Hagler. Yeah.... especially going orthodox on Leonard and serving the "W" up in a silver platter. Disgusting. I expected more of Hagler, TBH.

Hagler fought with his ego; Leonard fought with his brain, that's why he won the fight.
    Leonard was the dark lord sith who cheated his way to that victory. Ray loaded the match in his favour and there was no way that he would lose that fight. He is evil I tell you, his apprentice Floyd took over his place and now Canelo has it.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Syntax Error View Post
    SRL's the true TBE for me... but his fight with Hagler left me as unsatisfied as two other megafights..... Trinidad-De La Hoya, and Mayweather-Pacquaio.

It baffled me just how wrongly Hagler fought Leonard that night. Imagine destroying Hearns in three rounds in one fight.... and then pussy-footing his way to a decision loss to Leonard in the other.

IMO, Hagler had no one to blame but himself for that loss. SRL may be the TBE to me, but Hagler was still one of the most fearsome MW's in history.

Had he pressed the action the full 12, it may have been a totally different outcome.

Still, with all the HOF scalps on his record, it's hard to argue against SRL as the TBE.
    TBE should be SRR it is ingrained in all boxing nerdom.

Leonard is an ATG but that comeback made me hate him with a passion. Very manipulative, opportunistic and had no substance to it when he fought Lalonde, Hearns and Duran. So much so that I loved what Norris and Macho Man did to him.

Hagler made many mistakes that cost him that fight boxing orthodox for one but that judge who saw all those flashy cluster punches from Leonard that caused no damage really ruined the fight.

I know... I'm an against the flow kind of guy on the TBE thing.

I didn't like it when Leonard beat Benitez, but the list of scalps he ended up with is nothing if not spectacular. Benitez, Duran, Hearns, Hagler....... doesn't get much better than that. Epic fights, too.

Only the Hagler fight was underwhelming for me, and I put the blame squarely on Hagler. Yeah.... especially going orthodox on Leonard and serving the "W" up in a silver platter. Disgusting. I expected more of Hagler, TBH.

Hagler fought with his ego; Leonard fought with his brain, that's why he won the fight.
    Leonard was the dark lord sith who cheated his way to that victory. Ray loaded the match in his favour and there was no way that he would lose that fight. He is evil I tell you, his apprentice Floyd took over his place and now Canelo has it.

Noooooooooooo...........

I got your humor with the Lord Sith thing... but nooooooooooooooo........

You put Leonard and Canelo in the same universe. My head is about to implode.

Ok... Leonard stacked the deck in his favor against Hagler (plus... Hagler fought stupidly and half-heartedly). But in NO WAY IN HELL does Leonard's career even begin to resemble Canelo's.

Leonard earned every single victory he ever got. He out-boxed Benitez, out-fought Duran, out-boxed and out-slugged Hearns..... he was the winner who emerged from this Who's Who of Boxing at the time.

Leonard didn't wait for Benitez to get old. He didn't bring Duran up two weight divisions to fight him. He didn't fight Hearns in Leonard's hometown with Leonard's family as judges.

Canelo is a manufactured future HOF'er. Leonard is close to being TBE.... and I'll give in a little on SRR.

Hell...... even Floyd would be thoroughly pissed off if he knew you were mentioning him and Canelo in the same sentence.

Floyd once said in an interview that Canelo had been the EASIEST fight of his career.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I was joking, it was more about the glamour fighter verses the blue collar less fashionable fighter.

Leonard was great no question but that comeback smacked of a being spoilt brat.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I was joking, it was more about the glamour fighter verses the blue collar less fashionable fighter.

Well... he was kind of spoiled, I'll grant you that.

He was earmarked for greatness even before he became a pro.

That's why Hagler's performance against him pissed me off so much.

He destroys Hearns and The Beast Mugabi...... and goes out with a whimper against Leonard.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well... he was kind of spoiled, I'll grant you that.

He was earmarked for greatness even before he became a pro.

That's why Hagler's performance against him pissed me off so much.

He destroys Hearns and The Beast Mugabi...... and goes out with a whimper against Leonard.
    Hagler overthought the fight too much and ended up confusing himself. He will be seething and livid inside with himself until the day he dies. That will hurt him.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Floyd Mayweather and Zab Judah come to blows

Already a three-weight world champion, Floyd Mayweather secured a suitably high-profile opponent for his 36th professional fight in the brash, trash-talking Brooklyner Zab Judah.

Despite a build-up that did not go entirely to plan, the bout attained enormous billing, and was destined to live up to its ‘Sworn Enemies’ hype tag – but perhaps not in the way that had initially been envisaged.

Moving up to challenge Judah for a world title at a fourth different weight was a match made in heaven for Mayweather. But there was one problem: no sooner had his challenge to undisputed welterweight champion Judah been agreed, his opponent failed to keep his side of the bargain, and promptly suffered a stunning loss to unfancied Carlos Baldomir. Politicking and contract re-negotiations ensued, and the bout was rescued with only the IBF title on the line. Judah’s defeat, however, severely tarnished the contest’s pre-fight billing.

Due to his defeat to Baldomir, Judah went into the fight as a huge underdog, with many bemoaning the fact that Mayweather might have settled for the easy option. But Judah set about proving his critics wrong, more than matching Mayweather for pace in the opening two rounds, and the favourite briefly touched down on the canvas, although referee Richard Steele ruled it a slip. Mayweather began turning the tide in the fifth round, bloodying Judah’s nose, and had built up a healthy points advantage as the fight drifted into its concluding rounds.

By now a one-sided contest, it exploded into life with 10 seconds left in the 10th round, when Judah lamped Mayweather low, and Steele intervened to give Mayweather respite. Immediately, Mayweather’s uncle Roger Mayweather jumped into the ring to confront Judah, where he was met by Judah’s father Yoel, and a melee ensured which involved the majority of both teams’ cornermen. Steele and security intervened, and eventually the fight resumed, with Mayweather clinching his landslide verdict.

Typically seeking to make the most of the incident, Judah’s promoter Don King unsuccessfully appealed for the verdict to be reversed in Judah’s favour. Both fighters had their purses temporarily withheld, while Judah, his father and Roger Mayweather all had their Nevada State Athletic Commission licences revoked for one year. Subsequently, Mayweather beat Baldomir and went on to achieve all-time greatness. Bar a brief career resurrection in 2011, when he won the IBF light-welterweight crown, Judah was not really the same again.

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/day...050000001.html

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

A day late but back on 12 April 1997

Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Beanz View Post
    A day late but back on 12 April 1997

Chuck Bodak worked as a cut man in that fight, for Oscar I believe. Chuck was the guy that trained Ali as an amateur.

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

On this day April 14 1955 Sugar Ray Robinson fought Ted Olla.

Can't find any footage of it unsurprisingly so with no excuse ever needed for it here is a nice little Sugar Ray Robinson video anyway

Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Victor Galindez vs Mike Rossman

April 14 1979

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sugar Ray Robinson had a beautiful and lethal left hook. Thanks for sharing Beanz.

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What a day

April 15 1985

Hagler v Hearns

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That was interesting, Hagler and Hearns were due to fight in 1982 but Hearns injured his hand. Hagler teased him about it and for turning down $2 million. So this fight was 2/3 years in the making.

For the press conference Hearns said he would become the greatest/victorious after 3 rounds which may show that he did originally intend to attack Hagler as his strategy. The story that came out after was that, because Hearn's legs were weak after a massage, Manny Steward told Tommy to just go and attack Hagler when the real plan was to box early.

First round is just a crazy war with Hagler badly cut!!!!

2nd round tons of body shots from Hagler and Hearns legs are unsteady.

3rd round Hearns boxing and using his feet because he probably injured his right hand and his jab could damage the cut of Hagler even further. Marvin was just would not be denied.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Picture of the day – April 20

Joe Calzaghe’s first defence of his British super middleweight title in April 1996 proved to be a test of character that he passed with flying colours.

The Welshmen had won all 16 of his fights and came up against West Ham’s Mark Delaney, who had won all 21 of his bouts.

Calzaghe’s promoter Mickey Duff lost the purse bid, which meant the fight took place at the International Centre in Brentwood, Essex, packed with Delaney fans.

But the hostile atmosphere only served to inspire Calzaghe, who put Delaney down within the opening minute and broke his nose with a second knock down inside the opening round.

Delaney battled on but the referee stopped the fight after two more knock downs by Calzaghe in the fifth.

Calzaghe went on to become the first boxer to unify three of the four major world titles (WBA, WBC and WBO) at super-middleweight and he was voted 2007 sports personality of the year.

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/pic...050000659.html

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Beanz View Post
    Victor Galindez vs Mike Rossman

April 14 1979

Forgot about this one. Another from a Lt heavyweight golden era. Tough times for Rossman and I forgot all about his brother jumping in trying to fight Galindez between rounds . Oops on him.

Thread Information