Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shanon Briggs last title run- teetering on EPIC!

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Shanon Briggs last title run- teetering on EPIC!

Can you be anymore impressed with this little run? Canon fodder, then mid-level titlists and then eliminators after this- and after that, he is ranked and people have to pay attention to him as he still is exciting to watch.

More than 2/3rds of the guys in the top 15 of the HW division would make more money sparring Briggs than they would make fighting each other at this stage.

Let the Big Man through.... this is the last and final Shanon Briggs run. And it's looking god.
    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Shanon Briggs last title run- teetering on EPIC!

It's hard to care about a guy who hasn't actually fought one hard round in over a decade. He's a character and he can still punch, so he might get another big fight. Would be more interesting to see him as a test for some up and comers at this point, but he probably has no interest in fighting a live body unless he gets paid.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by p4pking View Post
    It's hard to care about a guy who hasn't actually fought one hard round in over a decade. He's a character and he can still punch, so he might get another big fight. Would be more interesting to see him as a test for some up and comers at this point, but he probably has no interest in fighting a live body unless he gets paid.
    That's what makes it interesting... he is gonna talk himself into a big fight. And if it is a contender out there, he is going to make the fight very lucrative for that contender.

Briggs is all in... this may not be on the scale of George Foreman, but this is shaping up to be better than Tyson's second run.

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

His body looks good, but it's all illusion as he's got literally nothing left as a World-Class fighter, and this whole thing is just one big sham-show.

Hey, dude needs the money after blowing through his fortune, so if he can trade on his name and talk his way into a big money fight, and if the fans are willing to pay for this farcical nonsense, then hey, more power to him, that's capitalist society.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ykdadamaja View Post
    That's what makes it interesting... he is gonna talk himself into a big fight. And if it is a contender out there, he is going to make the fight very lucrative for that contender.

Briggs is all in... this may not be on the scale of George Foreman, but this is shaping up to be better than Tyson's second run.
    If Briggs fought anyone as good as Danny Williams was he'd probably get stopped as well. I'd be interested in seeing him fight Wilder, or Tyson Fury, someone like that, but I'd fully expect him to get clobbered as much as I doubt those two. This isn't like Haye talking his way into a title fight, Briggs is old as shit and he has no output, that's why he fights clowns. He would needs to show some kind of form against a capable guy to make a fight with Wlad anything but a farce.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I like Briggs. He's a nice guy with a deadly left hook and looks the part.

Still, he's KO'n bums on his run here and proving nada except he can still punch.

I don't know if Briggs in his FIRST run beats Tyson in his second run.

He woulda been scared shitless imo.
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Big George Foreman in his second run beat Briggs in his first run.

Briggs got the decision, but he didn't win that fight.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Hulk View Post

Still, he's KO'n bums on his run here and proving nada except he can still punch.

True, but one thing I've always said and respected about Briggs is that he doesn't claim that he's KOing champs, he knows he's just staying sharp. He has done this during his career, he fights a few bums when he has time between fights.

I respect the fact that he does that as opposed to Wlad who builds up fights with absolute shit fighters like Pianeta and tries to sell it as a huge event.

Briggs has things that every HW needs to win a title, a decent skill set, experience and a punch, aided by the ability to deliver a punch.

Hard to see many of the top 15 beating him IMO, I'm not shitting on Fury as he's starting to improve, but Fury doesn't seem like his power would hurt Briggs at all and if Briggs catches him it's curtains.

Same with Haye, I think Briggs could take Hayes best shot.

Wilder and Stivern as will.
    You say tomato,
    ‘n I say …… it correctly.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Vendettos View Post

True, but one thing I've always said and respected about Briggs is that he doesn't claim that he's KOing champs, he knows he's just staying sharp. He has done this during his career, he fights a few bums when he has time between fights.

I respect the fact that he does that as opposed to Wlad who builds up fights with absolute shit fighters like Pianeta and tries to sell it as a huge event.

Briggs has things that every HW needs to win a title, a decent skill set, experience and a punch, aided by the ability to deliver a punch.

Hard to see many of the top 15 beating him IMO, I'm not shitting on Fury as he's starting to improve, but Fury doesn't seem like his power would hurt Briggs at all and if Briggs catches him it's curtains.

Same with Haye, I think Briggs could take Hayes best shot.

Wilder and Stivern as will.
    This right here... we wrote off Foreman on his second run too. This is Briggs time to make some waves, weed out some pretenders and fringe guys, and put this HW house back in order.

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

People didn't write off Foreman in his 2nd run.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by bradlee180 View Post
    That's because he's fuckin George Foreman.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

And he at the absolute tail end of 2nd career still had enough and 'beat' a Briggs who was at his youthful best

Briggs at 42 is fighting in flashlight lit bingo parlors against guys Deontay Wilder would reject. Foreman at 42 was competing with and rocking Evander Holyfield. There is a reason Briggs has wallowed in obscurity with the exception of a couple of big fights he lost, one he lost but was handed, and a couple of not so big fights he lost... he's not that good.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

A lot of people didn't think Foreman could do it... and go all the way... but when he gave Holyfield and Alex Stewart a run for their money, people stood up and said that perhaps Foreman could do it??

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    And he at the absolute tail end of 2nd career still had enough and 'beat' a Briggs who was at his youthful best

Briggs at 42 is fighting in flashlight lit bingo parlors against guys Deontay Wilder would reject. Foreman at 42 was competing with and rocking Evander Holyfield. There is a reason Briggs has wallowed in obscurity with the exception of a couple of big fights he lost, one he lost but was handed, and a couple of not so big fights he lost... he's not that good.
    Age and experience, in this case, counts for a lot. Some times some guys get their mind right at odd periods. That's life.

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Not everyone can be Mike Tyson. Take for example Bernard Hopkins- he looks better than he ever did now.

I can speak for myself: I have a better boxing mind now than I did when I was 21. I may be out of shape, but I don't doubt I would be a better fighter today with what I know from the game.

Hidden Content

Thread Information