Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Canelo-Lara extremely under marketed

I have seen very little build up or fanfare concerning this fight and I live in Las Vegas. Yeah the MGM has a promo draping their LV blvd building face but there seems to be 0 buzz about this fight. Anyone else see this? And is it because of things like World Cup futbol? I can't figure it out.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Oscar was on the MMA broadcast on Fox Sports 1 this weekend pitching his fights this week and the Canelo vs Lara fight.
    I've seen ads for the Canelo vs Lara
    fight all over the place. I'm not saying you are wrong, I just haven't noticed a lack of ads myself.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by beenKOed View Post
    Oscar was on the MMA broadcast on Fox Sports 1 this weekend pitching his fights this week and the Canelo vs Lara fight.
    fight all over the place. I'm not saying you are wrong, I just haven't noticed a lack of ads myself.

Maybe I've just been too busy and it seems like I described above, but I'm always pretty busy and other canelo fights have always seemed to be hyped up tremendously. This one just seems different. I expect it to be a great fight so I'm excited regardless

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by DannyV297 View Post

Maybe I've just been too busy and it seems like I described above, but I'm always pretty busy and other canelo fights have always seemed to be hyped up tremendously. This one just seems different. I expect it to be a great fight so I'm excited regardless
    Me too. I've been excited about this one from the minute I read it had been made. It's getting closer!

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Canelo-Lara extremely under marketed

Maybe it has to do with the timing of schaeffer's departure. I would have thought Golden Boy was enough of an empire that whoever's baby this promotion was, would have had the ability to keep on keeping on.

Also keep in mind that the American public might not be on this fight because its two fighters that don't speak the English language very well, if at all. Casual fans show up to a floyd fight even if they hate him for the same reason Americans follow the kardashians. its the spectacle of it.

There's nothing for a large percentage of them to watch in the lead up if they cant understand anything that's being said. Neither of these guys are as brash or deliberately controversial as floyd is, so you dont even have that mayorga d0uche like spontaneity. Even though its an intriguing fight. If Angulo can catch lara and drop him.. then I think Canelo can also. However, i think there's also a chance that Lara could duplicate floyd's performance if he consistently ups his punch output and remains defensively aware. (He'd probably still get robbed of the decision though)
    They want your @$$ beat because upsets make news. News brings about excitement, excitement brings about ratings. The objective is to bring you up to the tower and tear your @$$ down. And if you don't believe that, you're crazy.

Roy Jones, Jr. "What I've Learned," Esquire 2003

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

J you make a great point about schaeffer's departure. I never even thought about that, but you're probably right. As far as the language barrier goes, I don't know because Canelo is huge with the Mexican-American population and every time he fights it's an event.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by DannyV297 View Post
    J you make a great point about schaeffer's departure. I never even thought about that, but you're probably right. As far as the language barrier goes, I don't know because Canelo is huge with the Mexican-American population and every time he fights it's an event.
    Canelo vs Angulo did less than 350,000 buys...those are Mayweather/Baldomir numbers.

Alvarez is not the star many claim he is.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

And people wondered why Floyd wasn't fighting Lara. This is why: absolutely no fucking hype or money to be made fighting that guy.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Shaefer wasn't the only guy that left GBPs folks. That company has been gutted. That's why they had no fights scheduled.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Beanflicker View Post
    And people wondered why Floyd wasn't fighting Lara. This is why: absolutely no fucking hype or money to be made fighting that guy.
    Beans I here you, but it seems like they didn't even try. That's my question. Oscar called canelo the biggest star in boxing during the leadup to flyd-canelo. This fight has zero momentum and that's a shame because I think it's gonna be a damn good fight.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

My honest opinion is that Canelo will beat him no bother, so I can understand a little lack of marketing.

Don't wanna hype up what becomes a one sided ass whipping, and I think that's what it'll be.
    You say tomato,
    ‘n I say …… it correctly.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Beanflicker View Post
    Can't agree sir, all of Floyd's fights wind up being an event one way or another, nowadays! Floyd makes sure of it. Lol

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    Shaefer wasn't the only guy that left GBPs folks. That company has been gutted. That's why they had no fights scheduled.
    I haven't seen a drop off in GBP fight cards. He has cards this week on the 9th and Canelo on the 12th. Has another card on July 18th.
    Oscar is not a complete idiot, partial maybe. Lol What I'm saying is that he knows how boxing operates. Oscar knows he's not the best guy to run the company but he can handle it until he finds the right guy to do it. I hope GBP survives, more is better in this case. Be good for Oscar also, force him to get his head out of his ass, maybe. LOL

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    I haven't seen a drop off in GBP fight cards. He has cards this week on the 9th and Canelo on the 12th. Has another card on July 18th.
    Oscar is not a complete idiot, partial maybe. Lol What I'm saying is that he knows how boxing operates. Oscar knows he's not the best guy to run the company but he can handle it until he finds the right guy to do it. I hope GBP survives, more is better in this case. Be good for Oscar also, force him to get his head out of his ass, maybe. LOL
    Putting cards together is easy and takes a day. Putting notable cards together is where it gets difficult and time consuming. What major fights does GBP have scheduled the rest of the year? I can't think of one.

I hope Oscar finds someone to run the company too. Anyone not signed with Arum is a win. But there's a reason so many people were loyal to Schaefer, so many boxers too. I call all promoters snakes but the truth is Richard was the one doing what GBP claimed they would do in the beginning giving fighters control over their careers, letting them keep a large percentage, not forcing them into long term deals. That's good for fighters and that was Richard, Richard, Richard doing that.

It blows my mind people have started judging Richard for these very things that were supposedly honorable, good for the sport and GBPs prime directive when founding"that's not good for GBP long term" who gives a fuck?! Has fandom in the sport gotten so f'd that people don't root for fighters instead they root for promotional companies?!

Back to topic though. The shake up in the company has probably had some effect. But I have seen no less than 7 commercials for it today so they are certainly trying.
    Last edited by Ron Swanson; 07-08-2014 at 12:18 PM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Vendettos View Post
    My honest opinion is that Canelo will beat him no bother, so I can understand a little lack of marketing.

Don't wanna hype up what becomes a one sided ass whipping, and I think that's what it'll be.

Hmm. Canelo beats the shite out of The Dog

but The Dog decks Lara twice before getting his eye crunched.

Logic says Canelo wins but logic never has a place in boxing.

“If you want loyalty, buy a dog.” Ricky Hatton

Thread Information