Thread: Ring Generalship

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I honestly feel like the PPV fight last night highlighted the decline of boxing in recent years. Canelo is a titlist, and has some athletic ability n tools, but isn't a well rounded professional in my opinion. Watch guys like Hop, Floyd, JMM and Ward today. Watch past greats like Duran, Hagler, Leonard, Chavez...etc., n watch how they can box when it is needed n how they can skillfully force the action when that tactic is necessary. Canelo is a good kid, but has no business being a titlist or on PPV until he becomes a well rounded pro. Imagine what Terry Norris would've done to this guy in his prime at 154...

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Ring Generalship

Quote Originally Posted by mikeeod View Post
    I honestly feel like the PPV fight last night highlighted the decline of boxing in recent years. Canelo is a titlist, and has some athletic ability n tools, but isn't a well rounded professional in my opinion. Watch guys like Hop, Floyd, JMM and Ward today. Watch past greats like Duran, Hagler, Leonard, Chavez...etc., n watch how they can box when it is needed n how they can skillfully force the action when that tactic is necessary. Canelo is a good kid, but has no business being a titlist or on PPV until he becomes a well rounded pro. Imagine what Terry Norris would've done to this guy in his prime at 154...
    He was thrust into the spotlight before his time possibly, but he's performed well against top guys, other than Mayweather. No one is calling him Chavez, Hagler etc. yet. He's only 23. Let's see where he's at in 4 years. I think he needs a world class trainer, not necessarily because the Reynosos are bad but because he's learned what he can from them and it's time to learn from a different teacher.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Rant, think we r saying the same thing. I'm not saying he doesn't have potential or isn't going to be a great fighter one day, just saying he isn't PPV worthy now n that shows the decline in overall state of the game. I agree that he needs a trainer

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Rant, think we r saying the same thing. I'm not saying he doesn't have potential or isn't going to be a great fighter one day, just saying he isn't PPV worthy now n that shows the decline in overall state of the game. I agree that he needs a trainer
    Absolutely. He looks really good in spots though, doesn't he? And he looks like he has a real fighter's heart with charisma of a superstar.

For a while I thought GB was force-feeding us this Mexican Ginger, who didn't deserve the spotlight, now he deserves it. It's just a matter of what he does with it. We can't say he's really avoided anyone at 154. He's faced Trout, Lara and Floyd, all of which on paper, should be tough style match-ups for him.

One thing that might be an issue in the future is that he looks almost too big for 154 and too small for 160, but let me ask this, who would you favor between Quillin and Canelo now?

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Meh I think you're being too hard on the kid. Look at his last 4 fights: Austin Trout, Floyd Mayweather, Angulo, and Lara. Two slickster southpaw runners and the greatest fighter of this generation and probably the best in-ring talent since SRR. Angulo was a gimme style wise, but those 3 guys were fucking brutal match ups style wise. Those are guys you're not going to look good against, and he held his own. And he's not even 24 yet. He's got many big fights ahead of him, and to be honest with guys like Mayweather, Pacquiao, Cotto, ect in their twilight years, boxing is going to need a big earner like him going forward.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

In my opinion Quillin is a bad style match up for Canelo because he is the larger man and probably a little faster n slicker. Canelo will look great against guys that come to him since he is a good counterpuncher, can hot pretty hard n is a big guy for 154. He needs a Manny Steward, Bill Miller, Georgie Benton type of trainer who can get him better at the things that will make him more versatile offensively.

Also, since he likes beig the bigger guy and is at 154, I don't like him I'm match ups vs top 160 pounders like GGG, Quillin...etc. If he can develop some additional dimensions and grow into. 160 naturally, then I may favor him over those guys. Right now I think he matches up better with GGG but I'm not sure he can take that punch.

Thread Information