Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default The lead foot in the boxing stance

I got a question concerning the lead foot in the traditional boxing stance. By "traditional" I'm referring to an angled stance leading with the front shoulder with the torso turned away from the opponent.

I hear trainers and see many pros that have the lead foot pointing towards the opponent. Or the lead foot will be slightly turned. What is the reason/thoughts for this? Does it have to do with greater rotation of the hips?

The reason I ask this is by pointing the foot forward, it seems to make by body turned from being angled to being more square. I know that if I keep my lead foor at 2 close to 3 o'clock it helps keep me from becoming too square. I can keep my upper body angled, by my hips open toward the target...

Thoughts?

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: The lead foot in the boxing stance

When you get into your stance the correct way is this...You begin with your feet under your shoulders, toes on a line. Then you take a normal step forward with what will be your lead foot, bringing the heel of the rear foot off the floor. Then you rotate the lead leg inward until the toe is at about a 45 degree angle. By rotating the leg , not just the foot, you bring that shoulder and hip forward.
    When you are moving, boxing, looking for openings, you maintain that angle because it keeps your body closed, makes you a more difficult target. When you create an opportunity, you step in, open up the lead foot and punch. Then you close back up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by greynotsoold View Post
    When you create an opportunity, you step in, open up the lead foot and punch. Then you close back up.
    Ok. So you are in your stance, with your lead foot angled. You step forward with a jab or a 1-2 and that lead foot goes from being angled to pointing more forward at the opponent? I guess the reason is to help open up the hips to facilitate the twisting motion?

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yes. You have to open up to get your hips turning. You can step in with the jab without opening your stance- pull in tight with your shoulder to his chest. Toney, McGirt did this a lot.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by God.in.my.corner View Post
    I got a question concerning the lead foot in the traditional boxing stance. By "traditional" I'm referring to an angled stance leading with the front shoulder with the torso turned away from the opponent.

I hear trainers and see many pros that have the lead foot pointing towards the opponent. Or the lead foot will be slightly turned. What is the reason/thoughts for this? Does it have to do with greater rotation of the hips?

The reason I ask this is by pointing the foot forward, it seems to make by body turned from being angled to being more square. I know that if I keep my lead foor at 2 close to 3 o'clock it helps keep me from becoming too square. I can keep my upper body angled, by my hips open toward the target...

Thoughts?
    Some answers are here:

Introduction to the centerline theory with examples from Mike Tyson’s fights: Part VIII
    Learn Mike Tyson style and elements of Peekaboo @ SugarBoxing

Thread Information