Thread: Hopkins v. Kovalev in Atlantic City if Kovalev Wins this Weekend

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    503 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Hopkins v. Kovalev in Atlantic City if Kovalev Wins this Weekend

Quote Originally Posted by Rantcatrat View Post
    This is a great fight at light heavyweight. I like Hopkins in this one if there is no testing.
    It's a fight that if I was managing either one, I'd tell them DON'T DO IT

If I was in Hopkins corner

I'd tell him that he has nothing to prove. He has beaten more stellar fighters than Kovalev. Why fight a fighter who could dine out for the rest of his career on the fact the he beat or even knocked out a great champion who was past his prime ?

It could be another Rocky Marciano - Joe Louis or Holmes - Alu. He has nothing to gain. His place in the International Boxing Hall Of Fame is assured as is his place amongst boxing greats.

Hopkins won't sit at the top table with Ali, Ray Robinson, Ray Leonard, Armstrong, Dempsey, Tunney, Duran, Hagler

But he will for sure be at the next table with Hearns, Jack Johnson, Frazier, Monzon, Salvador Sanchez

If I was in Kovalev corner

I'd tell him NO-ONE destroys Hopkins.

Not a peak Trindad. Not a peak Roy Jones. Not a peak Kelly Pavlik. Not a peak Antonio Tarver. Not a peak Oscar De La Hoya. Not a peak Joe Calzaghe.

Kovalev is a destroyer but Hopkins best performances have come against these KO kings (Trinidad, Pavlik).

He does not need it. Kovalev wins by KO in round 1 ? "O, well, Hopklns is nearly 50"

Kovalev struggles to a close points win or just struggles and is unimpressive ? Hopkins will come from the bout with more credit "Amazing how a guy that age, can still mix it with the top fighters"

Worst case scenario ? Hopkins win ? "Kovalev is over-rated. One dimensional. He was schooled"

Hopkins retires A.S.A.P

So although it's a great bout on paper. It's fight that I would not advise either of them to take.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You are wrong, Hopkins will enhance his legacy if he fights a young, strong unbeaten fighter. No point wasting time for B Hop. No one wants to watch him fight mediocre fighters they want to see him fight dangerous, edge of you seats, fights.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

And Kov will be getting the biggest payday of his career so far. Makes sense for both in my opinion.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hopkins explains that he called Haymon's bluff by stepping up to face Kovalev. Pretty interesting piece. I guess I didn't know that Hopkins took Oscar's side in the Schaefer - Golden Boy feud.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

hopkins also has 2 major belts at light heavyweight, kovalev would be mad not to take this fight.. If he beats hopkins he would have 3 major belts for a short time at least, he'd be able to make some great money off of that.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I really do think Kovalev is in danger of getting away from what got him to the dance, this whole new emphasis on crushing power and needing kos. They are making him sound like a wrestler when he is a very smart boxer and sets up his power very well.

He let himself walk in, hands down cocky and Caparello set a trap in corner and dropped him clean in the 1st round. That had Bernard Hopkins written all over.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I see BHop folding up into a punching bag all night except to stick out his tongue 6 or 8 times. Kov surprises everybody by going the distance and wins by decision. I think he's too smart to fall for BHop tricks and doesn't waste energy trying to knock him out.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Silkeyjoe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Violent Demise View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Silkeyjoe View Post
    I think Kov stops him. Kov is a different animal to the the guys Hops been fighting the last 4 years or so. Hop will go into survival mode early.
    They were saying the exact same shit going into the Kelly Pavlik fight
    Were they? Pavlik was a middleweight fighting at 170. Kov is a light heavyweight. As Ive mentioned on another thread its rare that a puncher at 160 has been a puncher at 168 or higher.
    Thomas Hearns took his power from 147 all the way to 175

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Rantcatrat View Post
    Hopkins explains that he called Haymon's bluff by stepping up to face Kovalev. Pretty interesting piece. I guess I didn't know that Hopkins took Oscar's side in the Schaefer - Golden Boy feud.
    Hopkins owes Oscar. Oscar knew Hopkins had been frustrated his whole career by promoters and bullshit politics. When he brought him into Golden Boy he let Hopkins call his own shots. Something Bernard always wanted to do but couldn't. If Hopkins wouldn't of joined Golden Boy he wouldn't be fighting today. The bullshit politics would of made him leave the sport a long time ago

Thread Information