Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will the referee be fair to Kovalev against Hopkins?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Will the referee be fair to Kovalev against Hopkins?

I wonder about the refereeing in Kovalev-Hopkins. I remember the nationalistic Steve Smoger took Bernard Hopkins side against Karo Murat.

Hopkins is well-respected in America, and there's still a residue of the old "Cold War" mentality going around. People bring up the movie Rocky IV when an American fights a Russian, evoking nationalistic feelings.

Hopkins is a crafty veteran who knows every trick in the book, and when losing a fight will to use any tactic. We've seen him feign low blows and use head butts against Calzaghe, and use a head butt to cut Wright, and pretend to be injured by a foul against Dawson.

I think we should expect more of the same against Kovalev, especially if he gets hurt and feels he may lose.

But will the referee be professional and be fair to Kovalev, or will he do all he can to help the veteran B-Hop?

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Will the referee be fair to Kovalev against Hopkins?

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
    I wonder about the refereeing in Kovalev-Hopkins. I remember the nationalistic Steve Smoger took Bernard Hopkins side against Karo Murat.

Hopkins is well-respected in America, and there's still a residue of the old "Cold War" mentality going around. People bring up the movie Rocky IV when an American fights a Russian, evoking nationalistic feelings.

Hopkins is a crafty veteran who knows every trick in the book, and when losing a fight will to use any tactic. We've seen him feign low blows and use head butts against Calzaghe, and use a head butt to cut Wright, and pretend to be injured by a foul against Dawson.

I think we should expect more of the same against Kovalev, especially if he gets hurt and feels he may lose.

But will the referee be professional and be fair to Kovalev, or will he do all he can to help the veteran B-Hop?
    If Kovalev doesn't prepare for the tactics Hopkins brings, he has himself and his trainer to blame. With a trainer that used to train Hopkins though, I doubt that happens. The only referee I would absolutely object to is Smoger. Other than Smoger, Kovalev has as good of shot at getting an even fight as anyone fighting anywhere.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Smoger has a love affair going on with Hopkins. Loves to rub up against him and hug him and even kiss him on the head. Smoger may be a perv.

The disgrace re Murat should have resulted in Smoger being suspended.

As long as he is out of the picture -- and also Harvey Dock-- the Russian should be ok.

“If you want loyalty, buy a dog.” Ricky Hatton

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

No

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I trust anyone except Smogger when it comes to Hopkins.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Honestly, doesn't matter who you put in there. Hop doesn't just use mind games on the other fighter, he uses them on the judges and ref as well. If it is a Jay Nady or Vic Drakulich type of ref, Hop will stir a HUGE controversy ahead of time to make the ref self conscious about being "over-officious". Additionally, Hop is a MASTER at frustrating his opponent and using dirty tactics while the ref is out of position and not able to see. It just doesn't matter who they put him in with, Hop will make it so he has the unfair advantage all the way around. My take at least. Good call on John David Jackson in the other corner though. I agree with you. I just don't know if ANYONE who fights except maybe Floyd is as savvy and crafty in that ring, and I think Hop is just naturally meaner and dirtier than Floyd...

Mentioned
    679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Agreed, Smoger has displayed favoritism in Hopkins fight letting him get away with all kinds of nonsense without so much as a warning. The judges may do the same giving anything close to hop. I'm sure they know they are watching history and will look at it differently. I have grown to appreciate Hop but I dislike a lot of his tactics

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Will the referee be fair to Kovalev? Absolutely not. When it comes to the likes of Hopkins, Mayweather and Ward, the referee may as well be a babysitter. Kovalev needs to keep his head and box and either it earns him an ugly decision or the power gets the stoppage. I don't think Hopkins can win unless the referee does a Rios, but Kovalev is a cool customer. I don't think he will get distracted.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hopkins will use every trick in the book to win but against in the first fight against Pascal he did not get much help. Kovalev does not have the punch output that fighters have which have beaten Hopkins but he does have the power punches. Is that enough to beat the old man? is the big question.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    Agreed, Smoger has displayed favoritism in Hopkins fight letting him get away with all kinds of nonsense without so much as a warning. The judges may do the same giving anything close to hop. I'm sure they know they are watching history and will look at it differently. I have grown to appreciate Hop but I dislike a lot of his tactics
    It's liked you looked into my mind and then said it better.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    Will the referee be fair to Kovalev? Absolutely not. When it comes to the likes of Hopkins, Mayweather and Ward, the referee may as well be a babysitter. Kovalev needs to keep his head and box and either it earns him an ugly decision or the power gets the stoppage. I don't think Hopkins can win unless the referee does a Rios, but Kovalev is a cool customer. I don't think he will get distracted.
    It's hard to stay focused when your opponent is doing whatever he wants, while he complains to the ref that you are fouling him. Hopkins should have been an actor.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Perhaps I've been asleep for the last 20 years but I certainly dont remember Hopkins being a referees pet. Smoger lost the plot in the Morat fight but that's on Steve's shoulders. He blew it. As far as tactics, Hopkins will get his sneaky side in no matter who the ref is because he knows where he is at all times. Its Kovalev that is being touted as the best lh to come off of that continent since Dariusz and both HBO and Showtime are frothing at the mouth about possible future dollars. Not only that I'm sure they would both like the old man to just go away already. The Orgs as well. Anyone with concerns about the bottom line in today's market would most likely prefer him gone. The deck could just as well be stacked against Bernard.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

^^ That's what I was thinking, it's not like Hopkins is Canelo here or something, he's on borrowed time. The old fox is going to give any referee a workout, but I can't remember any terrible reffing in any of his fights aside from Smoger that night. Surely a Kovalev win would bring in more dollars for the networks down the line?

That said, I'm not really clear on the situation with Hopkins siding with Oscar as opposed to Haymon, or what the latters relationship with Kovalevs promoters might be etc. If Vic Drakulich, Smoger, or Laurence Cole get's the job, then I'll start worrying. That woman who reffed Kovalevs last fight was good.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

We need to worry even more if a ref enters the ring concerned about being fair to one fighter compared to the other or that we're already making them the story. Hopkins is master at winning the 1st round before the bell rings, you can see it sap his opponents within the first few rounds...sometimes on the scale before the cameras... with nervous smiles, subtle hesitations and half hearted lead punching. I doubt very seriously Kovalev will follow suit and play a foil to Hopkins. Before its over I can see him going bully the instant Hopkins tried to tie in and dry up time and look for spin out counter rights. But I also don't think that's Hopkins last resort and hope. If he gets hurt the instinct will come out and his ego and pride won't ignore Kovalevs ample chin before he resorts to bending over and falling to his knees trying to work a ref. Its a very mind boggling blend as Kovalev has never been pressed to cope and deal with the fool package that is Hopkins, and that's just in the psychological mind games. Fighters establish reputations, track records and if anything I think it'll be that of Hopkins that would work against him more than his actual in the moment perceived tactics in the past but not so much now. Hopkins will fight and do so as a champ here, if he goes out it'll be on his war torn shield. Bank it.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Is the referee going to be fair to poor little undefeated in his prime KO artist against big bad 49 10/12ths Hopkins?

Cry me a river.

Hopkins is coming to win, ref or no ref.

Thread Information