Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default re: Wow Robin Williams Dies

Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    Although this story has played itself countless times it's still hard for me to fathom how all that money and fame doesn't dull the pains of depression and can still lead the wealthy to such despair. I've had some hard fought battles in life, can't say suicide never crossed my mind but I've seen what it can do to family and friends left behind. I've had a couple friends take there own life's and it is so utterly tragic. I hope Mr. Williams family takes some solace in laughter he brought to so many
    It's complex Walrus. We are all unique and it is hard to know what is going on with someone we know so little about. It is hard to know what sets someone off. Funnily enough yesterday was a bad day for me. I had read too much news and was thinking about my homeland and how horrid it has become there and just the thought of that and a general malaise got to me and for the first time in a long time I had thoughts of harming myself. I didn't and was fine, but depression when it really takes you will just take you. It's just a shame that Williams had to go through this. He had got this far now, but he was hyper sensitive and damaged.

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    Although this story has played itself countless times it's still hard for me to fathom how all that money and fame doesn't dull the pains of depression and can still lead the wealthy to such despair. I've had some hard fought battles in life, can't say suicide never crossed my mind but I've seen what it can do to family and friends left behind. I've had a couple friends take there own life's and it is so utterly tragic. I hope Mr. Williams family takes some solace in laughter he brought to so many
    It's complex Walrus. We are all unique and it is hard to know what is going on with someone we know so little about. It is hard to know what sets someone off. Funnily enough yesterday was a bad day for me. I had read too much news and was thinking about my homeland and how horrid it has become there and just the thought of that and a general malaise got to me and for the first time in a long time I had thoughts of harming myself. I didn't and was fine, but depression when it really takes you will just take you. It's just a shame that Williams had to go through this. He had got this far now, but he was hyper sensitive and damaged.
    Oh heaven forbid someone else gets talked about for 2 seconds

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I just can't come to grips with the overall acceptance/legitimization/glorification of suicide.

I understand what mental illness and depression are, but it's hard for me to not find it completely selfish and cowardly when a mind capable of rational thought - regardless of how troubled it is - decides to commit suicide, knowing full well the extensive, LASTING psychological damage you're going to inflict on your loved ones and people who depend on you.

When it's shown in the media, we are told to feel bad for the suicide "victim". We talk about suicide like it is an inevitable conclusion for a lost/troubled soul, and not a conscious decision. I call bullshit.

The whole world is so scared of being stigmatized as ignorant, unsympathetic, ect that we are forced to swallow a lot of bullshit because it's the popular thing to believe. No thanks. The real victims are his family and friends, who will live the rest of their lives with the pain of wondering "did I do enough? Could I have saved him? Did I not show him enough love? Was I not there for him when he needed me?", ect.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    Oh heaven forbid someone else gets talked about for 2 seconds
    On that basis, I should mute and run to the covers. I was only trying to give some insight into how a truly depressed mind can work. Depression is universal. And is a condition created by the world that too many are forced to tolerate. Nothing more. Williams couldn't take it anymore. That was all I said.

I happen to believe that upbringing is the cause of most mental illness and thus suicide in the long run. We are actively making people ill. That is not self promoting, it is simply saying that there are many with bad childhoods.

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Beanflicker View Post
    I just can't come to grips with the overall acceptance/legitimization/glorification of suicide.

I understand what mental illness and depression are, but it's hard for me to not find it completely selfish and cowardly when a mind capable of rational thought - regardless of how troubled it is - decides to commit suicide, knowing full well the extensive, LASTING psychological damage you're going to inflict on your loved ones and people who depend on you.

When it's shown in the media, we are told to feel bad for the suicide "victim". We talk about suicide like it is an inevitable conclusion for a lost/troubled soul, and not a conscious decision. I call bullshit.

The whole world is so scared of being stigmatized as ignorant, unsympathetic, ect that we are forced to swallow a lot of bullshit because it's the popular thing to believe. No thanks. The real victims are his family and friends, who will live the rest of their lives with the pain of wondering "did I do enough? Could I have saved him? Did I not show him enough love? Was I not there for him when he needed me?", ect.
    That's mental illness for you though, people who are suffering from depression or other mental illnesses don't stop and think about how suicide can torture the people that love them...or about how it will affect them emotionally, psychologically. The depressed don't think of suicide as such a selfish gesture, but rather as the only way out. They feel like their only chance at stopping the downward spiral is to stop life itself....the only way to put the brakes on the world is by getting out of it.

Suicide is the most selfish thing a person can do...it takes no guts to do that, it takes guts to wake up each day and live, face your adversity head on. That's brave, that takes courage...but we are mere mortals, we can break, and things like this happen. I hate that someone so funny, so caring, such a loving person thought that this was his only way....people would have given Robin anything, shirts right off their backs!

But part of the trouble with humans is that very seldom can we see ourselves the way our loved ones see us....this is all a shame.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Bullshit. You are speculating and know nothing. You can only take it on a case by case basis. And you are making too many guesses.

Plus the humanitarian Lyle has nothing in common with 'they deserve to die' Lyle.

El Kabong Guest

Bullshit. You are speculating and know nothing. You can only take it on a case by case basis. And you are making too many guesses.

Plus the humanitarian Lyle has nothing in common with 'they deserve to die' Lyle.
    Alright

Humanitarian in regards to normal, everyday people not psycho nutjobs who teach their kids to saw heads off of people....pretty huge difference there miles if you cared to notice. Those people in the Islamic State believe in suicide as a means to kill innocent people AND get their way. Robin Williams was battling depression.

I know you're smarter than that miles

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He was brilliant in Mork and Mindy loved him as a kid. Saw him do stand up and he was brilliant

Good morning Vietnam, Jumanji, Bicentennial man, Good Will Hunting – RIP legend.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

We have arguably negotiated peace and being pretty tired that's enough for me.

Godnight, all.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He was a fantastic talent - a known joke thief, but a funny, talented guy none the less. Him committing suicide doesn't change my opinion that he was a comedic juggernaut, great actor, and by all accounts a warm, loving, overall good dude.

My thoughts on suicide are pretty concrete though. I 100% support the stuff Jack Kevorkian was doing. We all should have the right to decide whether or not we want to live anymore, and if you're terminally ill, in constant pain, ect I think there's nothing wrong with it and probably something I would avail of myself if I was in that situation.

People always say "well you didn't know what he/she was going through", "you should walk a mile in their shoes" and other cliches. FUCK THAT. I don't care what anyone is going through mentally, whether it is hard times or actual clinical depression. If you have a family and loved ones, you owe it to them to plough through and try to work your shit out.

I read a quote where someone compared a depressed person committing suicide to a person who jumps out of a burning building to their death because they can't handle the fire/smoke. I just don't see it that way and I don't care who thinks I'm ignorant. Man up and work your shit out.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He was a fantastic talent - a known joke thief, but a funny, talented guy none the less. Him committing suicide doesn't change my opinion that he was a comedic juggernaut, great actor, and by all accounts a warm, loving, overall good dude.

My thoughts on suicide are pretty concrete though. I 100% support the stuff Jack Kevorkian was doing. We all should have the right to decide whether or not we want to live anymore, and if you're terminally ill, in constant pain, ect I think there's nothing wrong with it and probably something I would avail of myself if I was in that situation.

People always say "well you didn't know what he/she was going through", "you should walk a mile in their shoes" and other cliches. FUCK THAT. I don't care what anyone is going through mentally, whether it is hard times or actual clinical depression. If you have a family and loved ones, you owe it to them to plough through and try to work your shit out.

I read a quote where someone compared a depressed person committing suicide to a person who jumps out of a burning building to their death because they can't handle the fire/smoke. I just don't see it that way and I don't care who thinks I'm ignorant. Man up and work your shit out.
    Bollocks. Unless you have put 30 stitches in your arm or cut your neck, then who are you to judge? Maybe you just don't understand depression. It is very complex and emerges from all kinds of experiences. Unless you have the same scars, then you likely don't understand the mind that can commit suicide.

Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You're ignorant.

By the way 'Hard times' and depression are in no way comparable.
    Saddo Fantasy Premier League
    2011/12 - 2nd
    2012/13 -1st Hidden Content
    2013/14 - 3rd (Master won)

Saddo World Cup Dream Team
    2014 - 1st Hidden Content

El Kabong Guest

Depression can get it's hooks in you and drag you to a level where you don't know your ass from your elbow...and it can happen in an instant. People who don't understand that need to be aware of it at least if for nothing else knowing how to react if someone they love is going through such a time.

Depression doesn't just attack the weak, it attacks people who assume they are strong, it attacks people who ARE strong, people with friends, people without friends, it doesn't discriminate.

Imagine the saddest you have ever been, turn that up a few hundred notches, and then heap on some anxiety and then put things just enough out of sync to where you have more arguments, more misunderstandings, you can't sleep, you have no energy, you can't focus, your mind races.....and to know that you may never come out of that state......it'll break you if you let it.

People can describe the feeling different ways, it's like drowning, it's like being crushed, it's like having a bad premonition that you can't stop...imagine your brain reenacting the throws of death an antelope goes through as a cheetah suffocates it or a crocodile drags it into the river.....those few seconds of struggle, panic, fear....that's what can run through someone's brain for days, weeks, months at a time.

It's not pleasant for those suffering with it, nor for those around that person....suicide is selfish, but think about the pain one has to go through to push them to that extreme...it's anguish

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Wow Robin Williams Dies

I've heard it all, I have no doubt depression is horrendous, but it'll never justify suicide to me.

There are tons of people living with depression, coping day to day. To accept suicide as a legit ending for someone suffering from depression is to claim that depression is a death sentence, which I think is a dangerous concept.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Wow Robin Williams Dies

Quote Originally Posted by ryanman View Post
    You're ignorant.

By the way 'Hard times' and depression are in no way comparable.
    How am I ignorant, and where in my post did I say that hard times = depression?

Thread Information