Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Broner VS Matthysse, who wins and why?

Share/Bookmark
    LouEVIL, Kentucky "birthplace of Cassius Clay"
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Broner VS Matthysse, who wins and why?

This is an intriguing fight to me. I can't stand Broner, but I must admit I like to watch him fight. He is in good fights and he is pretty tough. He is courageous and shows heart even when taking a beating. He shows very promising skills at times too. That being said, Lucas is a beast. And I don't think Broner is as good as he thinks he is. So i'm going to go with Matthysse by ko. But it won't be easy. Broner might even put Lucas down. It should be a pretty good fight though.

Your thoughts on the matchup?

Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Broner VS Matthysse, who wins and why?

You Said it perfect, Broner is not as good as he thinks he is. I enjoyed his fight this eve. Of all the shit I talk about Broner I can't say the guy doesn't have skills. He has basically has had two tune up fights post Maidana whooping although Taylor was good in his own right. I think Broner needs to fight a top tier next if plans on keeping that mouth running. Lucas would be a great fit. It would improve what many feel about him. Personally I think Lucas would make a pancake out of that ugly Broner. I understand Lucas wants Garcia first but I'm nit sure where Garcia's head is at.

So Lukas said if he can't get his first choice Garcia he will take Broner. Even not being ppv I'm sure some money would be ample so what the hell. I want to hear all of Broners preflight blabber and watch him perfectly still with his back on the canvas. Mind you, I don't want him badly hurt, just KTFO with some involuntary twitches as he lays there. A close up of his boyfriend in the audience crying would really top things off.
    Last edited by walrus; 09-07-2014 at 10:20 AM.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Matthysse wins because if Maidana can beat Broner I think Lucas can do it better. Matthysse is stronger and better fighter, although Broner is better at 140lb than he was at 147lb.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Broner gets hit pretty often and his power at 140 is average.

If Matthysse can hit you and you can't hurt him, well then you are in serious trouble.

Matthysse by mid to late stoppage.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You beat Matthysse with legs. From what we've seen, Broner doesn't use much lateral movement.

Although this is a good match up, I don't really understand why Broner would take it. Why doesn't he fight someone in the lower part of the top ten first. Showtime is paying him good money to fight guys without big names. Why not continuing fighting those level guys while he rebuilds himself? He hasn't exactly looked fantastic against Molina and Taylor. Fun though. Why risk it with Matthysse? Why not fight another tune up or something and then get bigger money against Garcia, where, even if he loses, it won't be as punishing?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I would love to see Matthysse put Broner's lights out.
    Put a worse beating on him than Maidana did.
    He Who Is Brave Is Free

Wisdom, compassion and courage are the three universally recognised moral qualities of men.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Taylor showed that at the end of shots Broner leads straight back into follow through and is again surprisingly easy to touch when not allowed to lay in. He was able to out physical and bull him quite a few times. Matthysse comes from different angles and would hang him up on the ropes, down the middle and hurt him badly.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Rantcatrat View Post
    You beat Matthysse with legs. From what we've seen, Broner doesn't use much lateral movement.

Although this is a good match up, I don't really understand why Broner would take it. Why doesn't he fight someone in the lower part of the top ten first. Showtime is paying him good money to fight guys without big names. Why not continuing fighting those level guys while he rebuilds himself? He hasn't exactly looked fantastic against Molina and Taylor. Fun though. Why risk it with Matthysse? Why not fight another tune up or something and then get bigger money against Garcia, where, even if he loses, it won't be as punishing?

Great match up and the trend seems to be going they way you described. Haymon is most likely arranging network tv deals because he can see the ppv era eroding away. He knows he can sell mediocrity based on the numbers from Garcia/Salka and I can see him loading up cards with names vs TBA.

He's going full on promoter Haymon Boxing

I welcome the end of ppv but we are going to feel a little pain as fans in the process.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

They already fought, they just used different names. Google or YouTube Zab Judah vs Kostya Tszyu. It will be similar to that fight, if not identical. Flashy and talented guy dominates the first round and shakes the stalker with the straight punches and huge punch. The distance closes and the stalker lands the big, straight right stopping the flashy guy. Same fight, just different names.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't think Broner likes life at the bottom. He figures he could do what Garcia did and beat Lucas easy. Catapulting himself back to the top where he can make comparisons between himself and floyd again. Broner has fast hands when wants to and maybe in his mind, he forgets that he has to plant his feet with that very wide stance for those flurries. From what i've seen against taylor, Broner is always open for that extra straight over the top. Whenever there was exchanges, he stood there at the end.. (almost like he cant wait to start mugging for the camera or something) and got his head snapped back for it. If Team Matthysse push lucas to "be first and be last" on those exchanges and broners confidence will drop quick and he'll look for a way out. like he did against Maidana.
    They want your @$$ beat because upsets make news. News brings about excitement, excitement brings about ratings. The objective is to bring you up to the tower and tear your @$$ down. And if you don't believe that, you're crazy.

Roy Jones, Jr. "What I've Learned," Esquire 2003

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by IamInuit View Post

Great match up and the trend seems to be going they way you described. Haymon is most likely arranging network tv deals because he can see the ppv era eroding away. He knows he can sell mediocrity based on the numbers from Garcia/Salka and I can see him loading up cards with names vs TBA.

He's going full on promoter Haymon Boxing

I welcome the end of ppv but we are going to feel a little pain as fans in the process.
    Interesting. What'd you hear about Haymon becoming a promoter?

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Broner is going to get his ass handed to him. His style of laying on the ropes is going to get him killed vs Matthysse, who IMO hits harder and is a better puncher than Maidana.

Broner doesn't seem to have carried his power up from 130/135 to 140/147.

I must say this is a very brave fight for Broner to take, especially after the ass whipping Maidana gave him. I just don't see him getting the job done.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Beanflicker View Post
    Broner is going to get his ass handed to him. His style of laying on the ropes is going to get him killed vs Matthysse, who IMO hits harder and is a better puncher than Maidana.

I must say this is a very brave fight for Broner to take, especially after the ass whipping Maidana gave him. I just don't see him getting the job done.
    Whatever you want to say about Broner, he's got a lot of heart. He took some harsh punches from Maidana and lasted until the bell.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Beanflicker View Post

Whatever you want to say about Broner, he's got a lot of heart. He took some harsh punches from Maidana and lasted until the bell.
    I was one of the few guys here defending Broner and saying he's got heart, so it's no diss to Broner, Adrien is a tough motherfucker no matter how obnoxious he is, the guy has a fighter's heart.

But heart only takes you so far, you need to have the smarts to go along with it and laying on the ropes just isn't fighting smart. Even in his Saturday fight, even though he won convincingly that fight was a lot closer than it should have been. Adrien has a ton of natural athletic ability, like Berto, he just needs to get his head on right and find his own style instead of trying to be a Mayweather clone.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Broner gets flattened.

I mean Matthysse hits a good bit harder than Maidana imo and Broner has no power at this weight.

It would be a one sided pounding.

Broner could have stayed at his lower weight and had legendary success, but he has jumped up 2 weight divisions into a weight that is full of great defensive fighters and explosive punchers.

He's out of his depth, he was lucky to get past Malignaggi.
    You say tomato,
    ‘n I say …… it correctly.

Thread Information