Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Observations: Mayhem! Mayweather vs. Maidana 2.

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Observations: Mayhem! Mayweather vs. Maidana 2.

I don't know why I feel like a mad scientist, looking for every formula or solution on beating Floyd Mayweather. But I do. I feel like that crazy guy, sitting in a dark room, no electricity, no running water, beard grey and flowing, with the background painted with chalkboards littered with equations and scribbles and scratches and photos of Floyd Mayweather in various positions and poses in ring and out.

But, this is where the best pound for pound fighter in the world has us. Well, has me. Has me looking at boxing in a different way, and lending my analysis and voice to the Mayvinci Code.

His recent fight vs. Maidana gave me pause. Pause because, earlier on this board, I posted some keys to the Maidana victory. In a nutshell: Power through with his left jab; Push Floyd to the ropes for more than 2 minutes of each round; and keep Floyd moving off of his right foot to take leverage away from his right hand.

Maidana, oddly, followed this to a tee. In fact, this was his fight strategy- except for one thing. That thing was that he wasn't effective with it. This is not as a result of him as much, although he could have shown that he had more conditioning and shown that he had more confidence in his road work.

However, it was as a result of Floyd adjusting from the first fight and during their second fight. Floyd is a master. No doubt. So, to beat a master, you have to become a master and hence, adjust with him and his evolving fight game.

I want to say I am proud for Floyd. He took some hard shots, and after the fight it was telling on him. Hats off for Maidana talking himself into a second fight- the first fight for him was a lot better stylistically but not as strategically.

Let's look at some points from the fight:

1. Maidana DID push Floyd to Floyd's right, off of his right back foot. This, indeed, did minimalize Floyd's right hand counter over the top. It did make Floyd think twice about throwing it with free-abandon. It worked well. But even a half of a Floyd right hand strategy as enough to out-work a lethargic Maidana.

When Floyd got set to throw the right hand, Floyd DID only have the capacity to throw one and feignt with a half of one before he moved out of the way.

Floyd was so brilliant, Floyd, when he was pushed to his back right heel, kept on moving and spinning away. This is why Floyd appeared as if he was running so much- because he was. Instead of being pushed back, he ran and spun out of the way.

Notice one thing: When he was running and spinning away, he wasn't effective with his right hand at all. In fact, the only time Maidana got hit with the right hand was when he got reckless and forgot what was working for him- moving Floyd continually to his right.

What has to happen when Floyd is pushed to his ineffective state of being on his back, right foot, is that pressure needs to be applied with the double jab right down the pike. Keep him running. The judges will see that and get tired of him running around the ring all night.

2. Mayweather's left hand (hook), even when he tried to use it, never, at any time in the fight except for to the body, ever landed cleanly and effectively. Floyd's left hook to the head has no snap, very little accuracy and certainly no stopping power.

From what I saw, when Floyd snapped the left hook to the body- Maidana froze for a second, but he wasn't seriously hurt. This was Maidana's fault. His fault because he clearly wasn't as road-work trained and conditioned to the stomach. Maidana looked a little pudgy around the mid-section. Could be as a result of his biggest payday to date, got lazy, ate what he wished and became lazy. Could be. Floyd saw it and even acknowledged it as his new strength and conditioning coach, Alex Ariza, pointed it out for him.

3. Maidana DID use his jab. In fact, he was very effective with pushing Floyd back with it and setting up opportunities with it. In fact, at the end of the third round, that telling shot on Floyd in the corner right before the bell was as a result of all things we talked about: moving Floyd to Floyd's back right foot against the ropes, walking in behind the jab or a jab feignt, and then setting up a shocking right hand to the face when Floyd wasn't expecting it and Floyd got hit- and hit hard.

The only thing with Maidana's left jab was that he was too far away to throw it effectively all the time. Could be he didn't want to get hit, but he clearly had no true confidence with Floyd moving on his back right foot and being able to take that softened over hand right from Mayweather.

All in all, hats off to Floyd. He took into this fight an amazing burden on him from his friends and social media and family, to some extent.

Maidana had the best chance, at the best time, to beat Mayweather. Maidana didn't prepare physically enough and he didn't have confidence in his principles. Give a little bit to Floyd for running and spinning to Floyd's right AND staying off of the ropes. Something Floyd did very little of. Master work by Floyd Mayweather.

There we have it. Take from it what you wish!
    Last edited by ykdadamaja; 09-15-2014 at 04:13 PM.
    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Observations: Mayhem! Mayweather vs. Maidana 2.

I agree Floyd's left hand didn't work as effectively as it has in the past

The main difference I noticed between the two fights is floyd did not stay on the ropes in fight 2. ( apart from round 4 when he was getting his legs back after being hurt by the tight hand in the 3rd) floyd went I to this fight with the gameplan of keep moving and don't put his back on the ropes

Interesting that floyd said in the interview that he felt better in fight 1. Wonder why cuz I don't think it had anything to do with a numb hand... He looked like an ageing fighter , still the best but he came out of that fight the worst physically despite deserving the decision

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Observations: Mayhem! Mayweather vs. Maidana 2.

Quote Originally Posted by GAME View Post
    I agree Floyd's left hand didn't work as effectively as it has in the past

The main difference I noticed between the two fights is floyd did not stay on the ropes in fight 2. ( apart from round 4 when he was getting his legs back after being hurt by the tight hand in the 3rd) floyd went I to this fight with the gameplan of keep moving and don't put his back on the ropes

Interesting that floyd said in the interview that he felt better in fight 1. Wonder why cuz I don't think it had anything to do with a numb hand... He looked like an ageing fighter , still the best but he came out of that fight the worst physically despite deserving the decision
    I think the ignorance of being hit by Maidana or a true hard hitting Jr. Middle or Welter took him by surprise. That's why he said he felt different.

But, after the first fight, Floyd KNOWS how it is to get hit by someone who knows how to hit and can hit, and hit hard.

That's why Floyd said he felt better in the first fight: His blind arrogance gave way to ignorance of who he was fighting.
    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

Thread Information