0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: punching power increase

Quote Originally Posted by spagy
    power really a natural thing u can never improve it by loads

yes you can try improving technique, no boxer ever starts with excellent tech, unless it is a fluke. trust me work with hitting with leverage and you will see a tremendous gain in power

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 1magine
    some good advice in this thread
    but what is being underestimated is the legs
    do alot of squats, do alot of jumping, do ALOT of running up and down stairs
    the guy above me already stated "Look at Tyson, his power came from his legs"
    that's the problem with heavyweights nowadays
    they all rely on arm strength, that's why they can't hit as hard as tyson
    his legs were humungous
    I believe I stated the importance of Legs!

Basically your whole body helps your power though, the legs are only the start, abs/back muscles help transfer that power along with chest/shoulder/arms...technique is also very important.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by English Bulldog
    is there any training, weights and exercise that will increase my punching power by alot?
    nothig helps power like good technique ...so only if u already have perfect punching tecnique 4 maximum power,its almost no use useing the wieghts ...also dont get in the habit of hitting theheavybag as hard as u can all the time because your knuckle bones will bruise & youll need a week or 2 till u can hit the bag w/ out having shin splints in your arms lol

but when your hitting the bag make sure its the last 2-3 inches f your arms extension that radiates the power outward with snap (KO power)
    and that falls under technique ....distance matters so much u need to find your own distance so as not to smother your power or overextend your punch ....kosta tzu is a great power puncher w/ those strit shots because he knows his distance

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Id like to know what "natural" power is , scientifically how it is possible etc,
    Thats cricket

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Some people just are naturally good at transfering weight to the end of there hands. Most people punch the weight arm there arm, natural punchers use there shoulders and legs much more, its just something built into them.

Some people can catch balls betters than other etc, get my drift?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

But do you mean "good" like a skill that can be gained by anyone if they practise enough, or are you talking an inbuilt thing which can't be achieved by others however hard they try ?
    Thats cricket

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasTabin
    you could hit with all the force in the world but it would all just be a big waste unless you can actually land the thing. say you have a good punch, maybe even downright great punch, if you find yourself unable to get it into it's target or if your opponent saw it coming -- in effect allowing him to brace himself for the impact, if not simply rolling away from it -- your punches are all bark no bite. sure you might look scary on a heavy bag, but a bag is not hardly the same thing as a thinking and adapting opponent. its all about getting the punch home and with that power follows naturally as a result.
    Very true, a big punch is only useful if it can be landed. Fighters like Hamed and Witter have big punchers because people dont see them coming, their unorthodox style means they can land at will sometimes and really shock an oppenent. Meanwhile a guy like Danny Williams, hes huge and has arms the size of tree trunks, yet hes not really known as a puncher, because his shots are telegraphed and people can prepar and make him miss.

Often, having a big shot is about NOT throwing it, for if you need to load up on it, then its predictable and can be read etc. Myself while clearly not being a world class boxer... my biggest shot is a right straight, thus i work primarly off the left jab, often not following it up with a right straight, keeping my shots in singles, just lining up the right time to let it fly, ie. jab while on the back foot and as he comes on shift the weight forward into a right straight after the 2nd/3rd jab splits his guard.

But people are right, their are a few very important issues for power:

Legs Technique Natural transfer

of which are probably more important that raw strength.

As people have said many people seem to have a naturally good weight shift and leg drive that creates power, but it can be learned by perfecting the technique side. Its not about swininging arms, rather driving from the legs and hips and snapping a punch with the full power.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Poom
    But do you mean "good" like a skill that can be gained by anyone if they practise enough, or are you talking an inbuilt thing which can't be achieved by others however hard they try ?
    No one is born with an inbuilt technically sound boxers punch, some people are just closer than others.

Thread Information