Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anthony Dirrell- you're brave ain't ya?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Anthony Dirrell- you're brave ain't ya?

So according to this joker who's been World Champion about 10 seconds , he won't entertain the prospect of fighting George Groves (his mandatory)because " he ain't good enough and hasn't earnt it", but according to Eddie Hearn , he's "open to the idea of fighting Paul Smith!" Do me a fuckin favour!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Poor Anthony someone needs to explain the definition of mandatory to him and the fact he'll more than likely but fighting George in the uk given Sauerlands deep pockets. I give Groves a good chance of taking his title,he didn't look anything to write home about in his fights with Bika.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Anthony Dirrell- you're brave ain't ya?

Yep that's BS, it would be a good match and should happen. Anyone not named Ward or Froch has no business calling themselves a world champion at 168 anyways. The top two fighters in the division are very firmly established, everyone else should be gunning for them and without a sense of entitlement, or else hush about anyone else having earned anything.
    Anthony Dirrell-Arthur Abraham would be the worst major title unification fight of all time, possibly?

Mentioned
    947 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by p4pking View Post
    Yep that's BS, it would be a good match and should happen. Anyone not named Ward or Froch has no business calling themselves a world champion at 168 anyways. The top two fighters in the division are very firmly established, everyone else should be gunning for them and without a sense of entitlement, or else hush about anyone else having earned anything.
    Anthony Dirrell-Arthur Abraham would be the worst major title unification fight of all time, possibly?
    That will be almost a nailed on certainty then. What is the point of mandatory fights when they are not enforced?
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeanz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by p4pking View Post
    That will be almost a nailed on certainty then. What is the point of mandatory fights when they are not enforced?
    I guess they can always keep guys in a mandatory spot for eons while trying to figure out what might bring in more money in the long run. It must be a coin toss for these bodies when they have a weak, unpopular champion. Do they try and line up crap mandatory's to milk the sanctioning fees, or throw him in a fight he'll lose in hopes the next champion will carry the belt as well and actually bring in revenue? I'm not clear on exactly how they go about fleecing boxers, as far as a percentage of purse vs a minimum fee for each fight, so it truly beats me.

What is the point of mandatory challengers when you have 4 different champions in a division, and half of them get stripped annually no matter what, is more like it. How the hell did Ward and then Froch even lose the two belts these two fringe contenders are now carrying? If Abraham signed to fight either of those guys in a rematch, it would be a laughing stock. He didn't win a single round against either guy, yet he's a world champion in the same division currently? It's a joke.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The sad thing is that a groves fight would be great for him. It's a solid opponent with a name and very winnable. There aren't too many better options at the moment.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by powerpuncher View Post
    The sad thing is that a groves fight would be great for him. It's a solid opponent with a name and very winnable. There aren't too many better options at the moment.
    It's Winnable, but it's also very Loseable . that's his problem. in his defence, it's not just him, But if you're a World Champion , then every defence should be tough , because everyone who fights you is technically trying to become "the best in the World!" there should be no "stay busy" or "easier" defences because you're supposed to be "Champion of the World" and you should've had to work your bollocks off to get to that level. Maybe I'm too much of an idealist.
    The reason this pisses me off is because between him and his brother, they take a couple of years or more off, then he fights Bika twice (repeat loser at the highest level) and gets to call himself Champion of the World.
    What Fucking World is That?

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post
    It's Winnable, but it's also very Loseable . that's his problem. in his defence, it's not just him, But if you're a World Champion , then every defence should be tough , because everyone who fights you is technically trying to become "the best in the World!" there should be no "stay busy" or "easier" defences because you're supposed to be "Champion of the World" and you should've had to work your bollocks off to get to that level. Maybe I'm too much of an idealist.
    The reason this pisses me off is because between him and his brother, they take a couple of years or more off, then he fights Bika twice (repeat loser at the highest level) and gets to call himself Champion of the World.
    I'm fine with taking easier fights here and there but honestly the groves fight shouldn't be considered a super tough fight. Groves is a good fighter but not at all great. Bika is the same. A good fighter but not great. Direll hasn't really beaten anybody to show that he is that good. Beating groves is a step in the right direction, but he obviously doesn't want to go in the right direction.

Mentioned
    1671 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Dirrell does not want to lose the title he won in a borefest. He wants to make some easy defences and money before handing the title over to someone more worthy than him.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm fine with taking easier fights here and there but honestly the groves fight shouldn't be considered a super tough fight. Groves is a good fighter but not at all great. Bika is the same. A good fighter but not great. Direll hasn't really beaten anybody to show that he is that good. Beating groves is a step in the right direction, but he obviously doesn't want to go in the right direction.
    I agree with everything that you say, and with that in mind, what I am about to write is going to make me wanna stick needles in my eyes! Groves, Bika, Dirrell are all ok, but never really beaten anyone top drawer. Abraham is crap now. Stieglitz - Average , Degale - Unproven and nothing special, Kessler - Probably finished and Ward - well we can't keep blowing sunshine up his ass if we don't know if/when he's ever going to fight again .
    So as much as I do not rate him at all, I have to say (this hurts!!!) that Carl Froch has to be seen as the stand out leader of this division by a country mile, mainly because he's the only one who's actually beaten anyone decent.
    I now actually feel like I've eaten a Shit Sandwich!!!!!!!!

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

GTFOOH!
    First Groves doesn't deserve another title shot. He didn't deserve the first he got. And he was stopped. The only reason he got a 2nd shot was because the ref fucked up, and he was stopped again! Now this guy that hasn't earned one shot should get his 3rd?! You all are properly delusional

And if anyone needs proof just read how in this very thread it is claimed Froch is the top guy at 168!!! Boxing fandom is pure madness. Nuthouses would be stunned to see such delusion.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    GTFOOH!
    First Groves doesn't deserve another title shot. He didn't deserve the first he got. And he was stopped. The only reason he got a 2nd shot was because the ref fucked up, and he was stopped again! Now this guy that hasn't earned one shot should get his 3rd?! You all are properly delusional

And if anyone needs proof just read how in this very thread it is claimed Froch is the top guy at 168!!! Boxing fandom is pure madness. Nuthouses would be stunned to see such delusion.
    Is this even a serious post? So standoffish for someone named after a funny guy, you make me seem cheerful. Who cares about the title Dirrell has in the first place; he won it in his 2nd try against Bika, who won it vacant against Periban after Ward was stripped for no reason. What was the difference between any of that and Groves getting another chance now. Periban was nobody and Bika had lost to everyone already. It's a fucking trinket, why should the merits of any challenger to it be so important, it's just a decent fight nothing more. Look at the WBC ratings for a laugh, or tell me who you feel is so much more worthy.. Chavez JR is still the number 1 contender for beating Brian Vera when neither had ever fought in the division. Poor guy losing out on his chance to Groves though, I guess?

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Why would he fight George Groves for the title, he's damaged goods.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Beanflicker View Post
    Because Groves is his mandatory. Ok, he may have the right to a voluntary, and if he wants to give that to Paul Smith, good luck to him, but he has to fight Groves after that. My point is the excuse about Groves "not being worthy", yet Paul Smith is? Does he know what happened to Smith when he fought Groves?
    If Dirrell wants to fight in the States, fine , that's the Champion's prerogative, but don't start trying to make comments like you own the division when you've done fuck all in it.
    Infact, what the fuck did Dirrell do in the last few years to earn title fights himself.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Beanflicker View Post
    Because Groves is his mandatory. Ok, he may have the right to a voluntary, and if he wants to give that to Paul Smith, good luck to him, but he has to fight Groves after that. My point is the excuse about Groves "not being worthy", yet Paul Smith is? Does he know what happened to Smith when he fought Groves?
    If Dirrell wants to fight in the States, fine , that's the Champion's prerogative, but don't start trying to make comments like you own the division when you've done fuck all in it.
    Infact, what the fuck did Dirrell do in the last few years to earn title fights himself.

Oh yeah I'm not saying Dirrell is right, I'm just saying I can see why he doesn't want to fight Groves. He has nothing to gain because Groves is a tough fight but damaged goods. Even if Dirrell had an amazing performance and starched Groves in 30 seconds of the first round, people would just say "oh big deal, Froch already ruined him". Tough fight, nothing to gain, I can see why he's trying to avoid him.

Thread Information