Boxing Forums


.



User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
Results 91 to 102 of 102

Thread: If Floyd never fights Manny...

Share/Bookmark
  1. #91
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,391
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    474
    Cool Clicks

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IamInuit View Post
    For two fighters who really dont need each other I have never seen two that need each other more. It almost feels like a kind of boxing purgatory. Its odd because both of these guys will be remembered more for not fighting each other then their first ballet hall of fame ledgers.

    I think Floyd wants that 50/0 more then anything past or present. I dont think the pundits talk about that factor enough. We should also remind ourselves of who Marciano fought for his 48th and 49th. A spent close to 200 fight Archie Moore and Don Cockell. He must be an institution because he lived well and half the planet barely had phone service. Floyds not obligated to go life and death real or perceived in every fight he makes.

    Anyway, if this phantom fight ever takes places I'd bet my left nut that it would be his 50th should he stay undefeated. That is its only shot at happening imo.
    There is a reason why Marciano is ranked so low among historical ATG heavyweights he fought horrible competition. Like many like to say in defense of Floyd, it wasn't all Marcianos fault. He came around at a bad time when there wasn't much competition and beat who was available. It was still a weak resume. Guys like Ali, Lewis, Frazier, Evander, hell, even the Klitschkos all beat much better competition.

    50-0 doesn't mean much if u don't fight the really big fights. Floyd fought better competition than Marciano, but it isn't enough, even with a 50-0 record, to be ranked historically where he feels he should be. Floyd will look worse of the fight doesn't happen. It will definitely hurt his legacy. Manny agrees to all of his demands so it looks bad to not take the fight.

  2. #92
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Northern Canada
    Posts
    9,793
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    704
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: If Floyd never fights Manny...

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeeod View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by IamInuit View Post
    For two fighters who really dont need each other I have never seen two that need each other more. It almost feels like a kind of boxing purgatory. Its odd because both of these guys will be remembered more for not fighting each other then their first ballet hall of fame ledgers.

    I think Floyd wants that 50/0 more then anything past or present. I dont think the pundits talk about that factor enough. We should also remind ourselves of who Marciano fought for his 48th and 49th. A spent close to 200 fight Archie Moore and Don Cockell. He must be an institution because he lived well and half the planet barely had phone service. Floyds not obligated to go life and death real or perceived in every fight he makes.

    Anyway, if this phantom fight ever takes places I'd bet my left nut that it would be his 50th should he stay undefeated. That is its only shot at happening imo.
    There is a reason why Marciano is ranked so low among historical ATG heavyweights he fought horrible competition. Like many like to say in defense of Floyd, it wasn't all Marcianos fault. He came around at a bad time when there wasn't much competition and beat who was available. It was still a weak resume. Guys like Ali, Lewis, Frazier, Evander, hell, even the Klitschkos all beat much better competition.

    50-0 doesn't mean much if u don't fight the really big fights. Floyd fought better competition than Marciano, but it isn't enough, even with a 50-0 record, to be ranked historically where he feels he should be. Floyd will look worse of the fight doesn't happen. It will definitely hurt his legacy. Manny agrees to all of his demands so it looks bad to not take the fight.
    Please of course Marciano got away with what Floyd would never get away with. That is a given. 50 and 0 means more to Floyd then anything. Its a boxing holy grail. Its makes little difference what difference it means to you or I. Floyds entire career has been based on that 0.

    It does not hurt his legacy anymore then it hurts Manny's and like I said, both will be remembered more for not dancing then any of their accomplishments. If they fight it will be Floyds 5Oth. Thats most likely the only other fight that would rake in the same cash as the 50 million each from years ago.

  3. #93
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,391
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    474
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: If Floyd never fights Manny...

    Quote Originally Posted by IamInuit View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeeod View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by IamInuit View Post
    For two fighters who really dont need each other I have never seen two that need each other more. It almost feels like a kind of boxing purgatory. Its odd because both of these guys will be remembered more for not fighting each other then their first ballet hall of fame ledgers.

    I think Floyd wants that 50/0 more then anything past or present. I dont think the pundits talk about that factor enough. We should also remind ourselves of who Marciano fought for his 48th and 49th. A spent close to 200 fight Archie Moore and Don Cockell. He must be an institution because he lived well and half the planet barely had phone service. Floyds not obligated to go life and death real or perceived in every fight he makes.

    Anyway, if this phantom fight ever takes places I'd bet my left nut that it would be his 50th should he stay undefeated. That is its only shot at happening imo.
    There is a reason why Marciano is ranked so low among historical ATG heavyweights he fought horrible competition. Like many like to say in defense of Floyd, it wasn't all Marcianos fault. He came around at a bad time when there wasn't much competition and beat who was available. It was still a weak resume. Guys like Ali, Lewis, Frazier, Evander, hell, even the Klitschkos all beat much better competition.

    50-0 doesn't mean much if u don't fight the really big fights. Floyd fought better competition than Marciano, but it isn't enough, even with a 50-0 record, to be ranked historically where he feels he should be. Floyd will look worse of the fight doesn't happen. It will definitely hurt his legacy. Manny agrees to all of his demands so it looks bad to not take the fight.
    Please of course Marciano got away with what Floyd would never get away with. That is a given. 50 and 0 means more to Floyd then anything. Its a boxing holy grail. Its makes little difference what difference it means to you or I. Floyds entire career has been based on that 0.

    It does not hurt his legacy anymore then it hurts Manny's and like I said, both will be remembered more for not dancing then any of their accomplishments. If they fight it will be Floyds 5Oth. Thats most likely the only other fight that would rake in the same cash as the 50 million each from years ago.
    With a Manny agreeing to all if the demands and Floyd backing out, I say it hurts Floyd worse. Manny has also beaten better competition overall. People rank Floyd really high now because they watch him fight. Once he retires and people take the hard look at quality of opposition...etc., Floyd's legacy ends up suffering more than Manny's.

  4. #94
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Northern Canada
    Posts
    9,793
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    704
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: If Floyd never fights Manny...

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeeod View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by IamInuit View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeeod View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by IamInuit View Post
    For two fighters who really dont need each other I have never seen two that need each other more. It almost feels like a kind of boxing purgatory. Its odd because both of these guys will be remembered more for not fighting each other then their first ballet hall of fame ledgers.

    I think Floyd wants that 50/0 more then anything past or present. I dont think the pundits talk about that factor enough. We should also remind ourselves of who Marciano fought for his 48th and 49th. A spent close to 200 fight Archie Moore and Don Cockell. He must be an institution because he lived well and half the planet barely had phone service. Floyds not obligated to go life and death real or perceived in every fight he makes.

    Anyway, if this phantom fight ever takes places I'd bet my left nut that it would be his 50th should he stay undefeated. That is its only shot at happening imo.
    There is a reason why Marciano is ranked so low among historical ATG heavyweights he fought horrible competition. Like many like to say in defense of Floyd, it wasn't all Marcianos fault. He came around at a bad time when there wasn't much competition and beat who was available. It was still a weak resume. Guys like Ali, Lewis, Frazier, Evander, hell, even the Klitschkos all beat much better competition.

    50-0 doesn't mean much if u don't fight the really big fights. Floyd fought better competition than Marciano, but it isn't enough, even with a 50-0 record, to be ranked historically where he feels he should be. Floyd will look worse of the fight doesn't happen. It will definitely hurt his legacy. Manny agrees to all of his demands so it looks bad to not take the fight.
    Please of course Marciano got away with what Floyd would never get away with. That is a given. 50 and 0 means more to Floyd then anything. Its a boxing holy grail. Its makes little difference what difference it means to you or I. Floyds entire career has been based on that 0.

    It does not hurt his legacy anymore then it hurts Manny's and like I said, both will be remembered more for not dancing then any of their accomplishments. If they fight it will be Floyds 5Oth. Thats most likely the only other fight that would rake in the same cash as the 50 million each from years ago.
    With a Manny agreeing to all if the demands and Floyd backing out, I say it hurts Floyd worse. Manny has also beaten better competition overall. People rank Floyd really high now because they watch him fight. Once he retires and people take the hard look at quality of opposition...etc., Floyd's legacy ends up suffering more than Manny's.
    Again, both parties are to blame and will get treated as such historically. If there is any chance at all of this fight happening it is only in Floyds 50/0 fight. All the rest of the banter does not really concern me. Legacy wise they are both 1st ballet and historically the lines in the sand will effect them both. That is all.

  5. #95
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    4,778
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    606
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: If Floyd never fights Manny...

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeeod View Post
    I don't give credence to your argument. Honestly, no kidding around, I believe you are just a really good troll who enjoys this back and forth. I just can't believe you are as dumb as you come across on here. You honestly say really stupid things constantly. No one who is as dumb as you seem could make it day to day, so you have to be trolling.

    This last post is a perfect example. If GGG was a fighter like say, Terry Norris in his prime, a fast boxer who could punch hard, then I would agree that Floyd's current condition and pace would be too much of a detriment. Against GGG, however, you are about as opposite of correct as you can be. GGG is a very balanced fighter, but he is a stalker who walks you down and is noticeably slower than Floyd. I can see Floyd staying on the outside and pot shotting and jabbing his way to a decision, similar to his wins over Oscar and Baldy. Pretty much everything you say I disagree with...
    Hmmm... Well I'm right about Floyd not fighting GGG and you can't even come up with arguments to counter my points aside from telling me I'm dumb.
    Last edited by ruthless rocco; 10-11-2014 at 10:45 AM.

  6. #96
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    london
    Posts
    5,502
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    735
    Cool Clicks

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeeod View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by IamInuit View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeeod View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by IamInuit View Post
    For two fighters who really dont need each other I have never seen two that need each other more. It almost feels like a kind of boxing purgatory. Its odd because both of these guys will be remembered more for not fighting each other then their first ballet hall of fame ledgers.

    I think Floyd wants that 50/0 more then anything past or present. I dont think the pundits talk about that factor enough. We should also remind ourselves of who Marciano fought for his 48th and 49th. A spent close to 200 fight Archie Moore and Don Cockell. He must be an institution because he lived well and half the planet barely had phone service. Floyds not obligated to go life and death real or perceived in every fight he makes.

    Anyway, if this phantom fight ever takes places I'd bet my left nut that it would be his 50th should he stay undefeated. That is its only shot at happening imo.
    There is a reason why Marciano is ranked so low among historical ATG heavyweights he fought horrible competition. Like many like to say in defense of Floyd, it wasn't all Marcianos fault. He came around at a bad time when there wasn't much competition and beat who was available. It was still a weak resume. Guys like Ali, Lewis, Frazier, Evander, hell, even the Klitschkos all beat much better competition.

    50-0 doesn't mean much if u don't fight the really big fights. Floyd fought better competition than Marciano, but it isn't enough, even with a 50-0 record, to be ranked historically where he feels he should be. Floyd will look worse of the fight doesn't happen. It will definitely hurt his legacy. Manny agrees to all of his demands so it looks bad to not take the fight.
    Please of course Marciano got away with what Floyd would never get away with. That is a given. 50 and 0 means more to Floyd then anything. Its a boxing holy grail. Its makes little difference what difference it means to you or I. Floyds entire career has been based on that 0.

    It does not hurt his legacy anymore then it hurts Manny's and like I said, both will be remembered more for not dancing then any of their accomplishments. If they fight it will be Floyds 5Oth. Thats most likely the only other fight that would rake in the same cash as the 50 million each from years ago.
    With a Manny agreeing to all if the demands and Floyd backing out, I say it hurts Floyd worse. Manny has also beaten better competition overall. People rank Floyd really high now because they watch him fight. Once he retires and people take the hard look at quality of opposition...etc., Floyd's legacy ends up suffering more than Manny's.
    Were you in the meeting?

    Do you have proof that they agreed to everything?

    Manny has no say in anything.

    Bob controls everything!

  7. #97
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,391
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    474
    Cool Clicks

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by imp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeeod View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by IamInuit View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeeod View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by IamInuit View Post
    For two fighters who really dont need each other I have never seen two that need each other more. It almost feels like a kind of boxing purgatory. Its odd because both of these guys will be remembered more for not fighting each other then their first ballet hall of fame ledgers.

    I think Floyd wants that 50/0 more then anything past or present. I dont think the pundits talk about that factor enough. We should also remind ourselves of who Marciano fought for his 48th and 49th. A spent close to 200 fight Archie Moore and Don Cockell. He must be an institution because he lived well and half the planet barely had phone service. Floyds not obligated to go life and death real or perceived in every fight he makes.

    Anyway, if this phantom fight ever takes places I'd bet my left nut that it would be his 50th should he stay undefeated. That is its only shot at happening imo.
    There is a reason why Marciano is ranked so low among historical ATG heavyweights he fought horrible competition. Like many like to say in defense of Floyd, it wasn't all Marcianos fault. He came around at a bad time when there wasn't much competition and beat who was available. It was still a weak resume. Guys like Ali, Lewis, Frazier, Evander, hell, even the Klitschkos all beat much better competition.

    50-0 doesn't mean much if u don't fight the really big fights. Floyd fought better competition than Marciano, but it isn't enough, even with a 50-0 record, to be ranked historically where he feels he should be. Floyd will look worse of the fight doesn't happen. It will definitely hurt his legacy. Manny agrees to all of his demands so it looks bad to not take the fight.
    Please of course Marciano got away with what Floyd would never get away with. That is a given. 50 and 0 means more to Floyd then anything. Its a boxing holy grail. Its makes little difference what difference it means to you or I. Floyds entire career has been based on that 0.

    It does not hurt his legacy anymore then it hurts Manny's and like I said, both will be remembered more for not dancing then any of their accomplishments. If they fight it will be Floyds 5Oth. Thats most likely the only other fight that would rake in the same cash as the 50 million each from years ago.
    With a Manny agreeing to all if the demands and Floyd backing out, I say it hurts Floyd worse. Manny has also beaten better competition overall. People rank Floyd really high now because they watch him fight. Once he retires and people take the hard look at quality of opposition...etc., Floyd's legacy ends up suffering more than Manny's.
    Were you in the meeting?

    Do you have proof that they agreed to everything?

    Manny has no say in anything.

    Bob controls everything!
    I wasn't in the meeting. You can google it and find numerous articles. If you feel that they are all false and both guys are to blame, we are just going to have to agree to disagree.

  8. #98
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    6,763
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    1020
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: If Floyd never fights Manny...

    Quote Originally Posted by ruthless rocco View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeeod View Post
    I don't give credence to your argument. Honestly, no kidding around, I believe you are just a really good troll who enjoys this back and forth. I just can't believe you are as dumb as you come across on here. You honestly say really stupid things constantly. No one who is as dumb as you seem could make it day to day, so you have to be trolling.

    This last post is a perfect example. If GGG was a fighter like say, Terry Norris in his prime, a fast boxer who could punch hard, then I would agree that Floyd's current condition and pace would be too much of a detriment. Against GGG, however, you are about as opposite of correct as you can be. GGG is a very balanced fighter, but he is a stalker who walks you down and is noticeably slower than Floyd. I can see Floyd staying on the outside and pot shotting and jabbing his way to a decision, similar to his wins over Oscar and Baldy. Pretty much everything you say I disagree with...
    Hmmm... Well I'm right about Floyd not fighting GGG and you can't even come up with arguments to counter my points aside from telling me I'm dumb.
    @ruthless rocco, not sure if you caught this...

    Kevin Iole, one of Mayweather's staunchest supporters, said this in his article on GGG:

    "But if you're among those who think it's outrageous to put Golovkin high up on this list, imagine the troulbe his pressure would give Mayweather. Marcos Maidana gave Mayweather a lot of problems with his pressure, which is nothing like the kind of pressure that Golovkin brings.

    I'm not suggesting that Mayweather should fight Golovkin or should be ridiculed if he declines to do so if such a bout is offered, because he is a welterweight and Golovkin is a middleweight. That said, it's not outrageous to suggest that they fight, because Mayweather does hold a 154-pound belt and Golovkin has repeatedly said he could make 154 pounds easily. If you're a 154-pound champion, then you should be ready, willing and able to fight anyone who can make the 154-pound limit."

  9. #99
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    9,493
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    1066
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: If Floyd never fights Manny...

    It'd be interesting to see a 154 because you'd have to wonder how diminished GGG would be draining down there. Despite his insistence that he can make it no problem, the fact is he hasn't had to make it in over 10 years as far as I know, and making that cut in your early 20s and opposed to your early 30s is a different monster.

    A fight at 160 would be a suicide mission for Floyd. GGG would most likely retire him.

  10. #100
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    6,763
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    1020
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: If Floyd never fights Manny...

    Quote Originally Posted by Beanflicker View Post
    It'd be interesting to see a 154 because you'd have to wonder how diminished GGG would be draining down there. Despite his insistence that he can make it no problem, the fact is he hasn't had to make it in over 10 years as far as I know, and making that cut in your early 20s and opposed to your early 30s is a different monster.

    A fight at 160 would be a suicide mission for Floyd. GGG would most likely retire him.
    @imp and @ruthless rocco seemed to suggest that it would be ridiculous for Floyd to face GGG. I'm simply that the notion isn't ridiculous because even established fight scribes, like Iole, who are big supporters of Mayweather, have said it isn't ridiculous.

    As far as the fight goes, how about a catch weight of 157?

  11. #101
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    9,493
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    1066
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: If Floyd never fights Manny...

    Quote Originally Posted by Rantcatrat View Post
    @imp and @ruthless rocco seemed to suggest that it would be ridiculous for Floyd to face GGG. I'm simply that the notion isn't ridiculous because even established fight scribes, like Iole, who are big supporters of Mayweather, have said it isn't ridiculous.

    As far as the fight goes, how about a catch weight of 157?
    At this point in Floyd's career, it would be ridiculous. He's been on a steady decline for the last few years and just doesn't have the legs to carry him to a win. Jumping up to fight a killer two weight classes above you in a move for a young man, not a guy on the way out.

    I don't think a catch weight on 157 would do much to favour Floyd. His only chance would be if GGG has a really hard cut to 154 and comes in flat (like a Ward/Dawson scenario).

    Floyd's going to look for a couple of respectable but "safer" fights and try to get out undefeated at this point. Maybe a big rematch with Cotto for the MW title.

  12. #102
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,391
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    474
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: If Floyd never fights Manny...

    I agree that from Floyd's perspective Cotto is the ideal opponent and provides the most reward vs least risk. It will add to his legacy because Cotto is the legit middle champ (although not the best at that weight, or even close to it) and Cotto has a ton of hype and looks "refreshed" because of his last two wins/excellent match making. Cotto isn't any better today than he was prior to Roach training him, and will lose another decision to Floyd, although by a closer margin due to Floyd slipping a little.

    I think GGG can make 154 and remain effective, but Floyd is really a 140 pounder who fights at higher weights. Can't really blame Floyd for not pushing or making the GGG fight, but it is the fight I would like to see most as I think Floyd has a good shot at winning, even with his recent decline. Doubt Floyd makes the GGG fight though, and look for him to take on the Canelo/Cotto winner n retire.

    I think it is a HUGE black mark on Floyd's record that he never fought Manny, especially during their primes. Great fighters go out of their way to make the biggest fights. Look at Leonard, Ali, Hagler, Duran and even Hopkins. It's why I think Hop, in the long run and despite less consistency than Floyd (and Roy), be ranked higher historically. Think about it: none of those guys ever had a perceived major threat that they didn't fight.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Similar Threads

  1. Aside from Floyd and Manny-
    By ykdadamaja in forum Boxing Talk
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-20-2014, 08:20 PM
  2. Manny v Floyd
    By erics44 in forum Boxing Talk
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08-29-2013, 05:55 PM
  3. Floyd Says Manny is Next!
    By jabvargas24 in forum Boxing Talk
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08-02-2011, 09:17 PM
  4. Manny vs Floyd
    By rick3262 in forum Boxing Talk
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 05-10-2011, 07:04 PM
  5. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 10-10-2010, 10:08 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  





Boxing | Boxing Photos | Boxing News | Boxing Videos | Boxing Forum | Boxing Books | Boxing Posters | Learn to Box | Advanced Fighting Methods | Boxing Rankings | Boxing Schedule | Auctions | Fun and Games | Boxing Equipment

Copyright © 2000 - 2019 Saddo Boxing - Boxing