Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default If Floyd never fights Manny...

...Then I would like to see him fight GGG and then Andrade or Garcia.
    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: If Floyd never fights Manny...

Quote Originally Posted by ykdadamaja View Post
    ...Then I would like to see him fight GGG and then Andrade or Garcia.
    He may fight Garcia. I don't think the Manny fight is going to happen, which is just crazy to me. Haven't been this disappointed since Bowe vs. Lewis and Quartey vs. Tito fell through.

Manny needs to make another run of impressive fights. I'd like to see him get this next "fight" out of the way and then hit Garcia at 140 and Thurman at 147 in that order. Maybe throw in JMM one more time for redemption, but I don't think JMM wants to make that fight. I'm not interested in seeing Manny fight Khank or Brook, to be honest.

If Floyd doesn't fight Manny, then I would like to see him fight GGG. There really isn't anyone else that I see pushing Floyd. Khan might make him a little uncomfortable due to a style match up, but I just can't see Floyd losing to him in the end. Floyd is running out of challengers now....

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That Ship already set sail. But who knows, many fights have moments for the highlight video. George Forman gave us some great moments. Maybe we can fool ourselves to believe it could still be a great fight.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by fan johnny View Post
    That Ship already set sail. But who knows, many fights have moments for the highlight video. George Forman gave us some great moments. Maybe we can fool ourselves to believe it could still be a great fight.
    There is more than a sizeable following that are suggesting that Floyd will fight Manny in his last fight with Showtime.
    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Man! Some of you guys are stupid!

You think it's logical, reasonable or even advisable for Floyd Mayweather who started his pro career at 130LBS in 1996 to fight Gennady Golovkin who started his pro career at 160LBS in 2006?

Floyd has never weighed above 151LBS for a fight. Golovkin weighed in at 170LBS night of the Macklin fight.

Do you guys even think a little before you post?

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ruthless rocco View Post

You think it's logical, reasonable or even advisable for Floyd Mayweather who started his pro career at 130LBS in 1996 to fight Gennady Golovkin who started his pro career at 160LBS in 2006?

Floyd has never weighed above 151LBS for a fight. Golovkin weighed in at 170LBS night of the Macklin fight.

@ruthless rocco - with all due respect, you're being a little harsh, my friend. I frankly disagree with you. Duran started his career at 130 and fought legitimately up to 168. Duran never claimed to be the best ever either. Floyd's line of clothing is TBE. Enough said. For boxing fans to want him to move up to 160 to fight the most-feared fighter at 160 is not too much to ask at all, especially when he claims he is the best ever and fans have to pay $75 to watch him fight. It actually is an entirely reasonable request.

Second, it's not as far as off as you make it out to be. GGG weighed in at 165 on his thirty day weigh in for his next fight. He has offered to come down to 154 or a catch weight between 154 and 160 for a fight with Floyd. Floyd is the current champion in the junior middleweight division, only one division below.

Ortiz weighed in the night of at 164 for his fight against Floyd. Canelo weighed in the night of at 165. They rumble at 157 or 160 and you would probably see a five pound difference in the night of weight of GGG compared with Ortiz or Canelo.
    Last edited by Rantcatrat; 10-07-2014 at 07:33 PM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Rantcatrat View Post
    @ruthless rocco - with all due respect, you're being a little harsh, my friend. I frankly disagree with you. Duran started his career at 130 and fought legitimately up to 168. Duran never claimed to be the best ever either. Floyd's line of clothing is TBE. Enough said. For boxing fans to want him to move up to 160 to fight the most-feared fighter at 160 is not too much to ask at all, especially when he claims he is the best ever and fans have to pay $75 to watch him fight. It actually is an entirely reasonable request.

Second, it's not as far as off as you make it out to be. GGG weighed in at 165 on his thirty day weigh in for his next fight. He has offered to come down to 154 or a catch weight between 154 and 160 for a fight with Floyd. Floyd is the current champion in the junior middleweight division, only one division below.

Ortiz weighed in the night of at 164 for his fight against Floyd. Canelo weighed in the night of at 165. They rumble at 157 or 160 and you would probably see a five pound difference in the night of weight of GGG compared with Ortiz or Canelo.
    I think the difference is that Duran ate his way up to those higher weights and fought there out of necessity when he got older.

In reality, Floyd is a small WW. And because I know people will disagree with that and quote heights and weights to me, let me explain: for most people this is obvious, but for those who might not know weight cutting has come a long way, and a guy who weighs 147 at the weigh in does not walk around at 147 and doesn't not fight at 147. A guy who fights at 147 will usually weigh 157 or more on fight day.

For reference, when Mayweather fought Sharmba Mitchell, Floyd was 147 at the weigh in and 148 on fight day. In contrast, Mitchell was 145 at the weigh in and 155 on fight night. Against Baldomir, Floyd was 146 weigh in, 149 fight night. Baldomir was 147 weigh in, 162 fight night. In the first Maidana fight, Mayweather was 146 weigh in and 148 on fight night. Maidana was 146 1/2 at weigh in and 165 on fight night. That's a nearly 20lb differential. Floyd's fight time weight of 146-151 is more comparable to the fight time weight of a junior WW or even a large LW.

So if Floyd is being outweighed by so much at WW, why do we expect him to go to 160 and fight an absolute killer, at 38 years old no less. A guy who's never entered a ring weighing more than 151lbs doesn't belong in a weigh class with guys who weigh in at 160 and come to the ring at 170 plus.

That aside, I don't even see why people feel the need for him to move up. It's not like he's cleared the division... the WW division is probably the hottest in boxing right now. There are a lot of young guys I'd love to see him fight. In fact, I'll go on record and say that I think Shawn Porter would beat the shit out of Floyd.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sure Rocco, I think before I post. Henry Armstrong was a featherweight champ who challenged for the middleweight title. Ray Robinson started at 147 and fought for the 175 pound title. Roy and Toney held titles at 160 and heavyweight. Sweet Pea was lightweight Champ and won a title at 154. It's what great fighters do, they challenge themselves. Floyd is that good. GGG is a huge risk, and I won't consider Floyd a ducker if it doesn't happen. That being said, Floyd's skill and speed is so great that u make it 50/50. I like watching challenging fights vice blowouts. Don't be so hysterical. Take a breath.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Unless I'm mistaken, and please let me know if I am, Pacquiao has a contract with HBO and Mayweather has a contract with Showtime. They actually can't fight without breaching their contracts. Plus, frankly, I'm tired of hearing about that fight. It's dead.

I'm pretty sure GGG is contracted with HBO too for that matter. So, let's scratch him off the list.

For Mayweather's potential foes at or around his weight class, Andrade at 154, Garcia at 140, Quillin at 160, and the Khan/Brook winner at 147. If Thurman could beat a credible opponent at 147, I'd move him into the 147 slot too, but he hasn't faced anyone worth mentioning yet.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Garcia is moving up to 147 for the big money fight in may.

Why not fight the guy that beat the guy that beat a guy.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The contract with showtime has wasted Floyd fighting decent fighters. The only one worth it was Saul Alvarez but even then he made him come in at 154lb.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Listen kids. Sometimes the truth is harsh and sometimes it takes some strong language to try and get one's point across. I feel badly that your feelings are hurt but let's look at the examples you've provided as rebuttal.

Duran - 14 of his 16 loses were when he fought above 150LBS. This shows he was out of his depth. Floyd is not going to lose a bunch of fights against much bigger guys at the end of his career when he's worked so hard to be perfect for the last 18 years. He's also not the style of fighter Duran was. He's slick, he's finesse. He wants to look untouchable. He's not looking to brawl some guy 3 weight divisions higher than him just to look like a tough guy. He doesn't have anything to prove except that he's better than his peers within his weight class.

Armstrong - He has an amazing numerical record-- 101-21-10!!! He fought from 120LBS to 148LBS. Crazy numbers indeed! Whats crazier is that he fought bums all the time. 30 fights into his professional career he was fighting Young Danny 0-0-1 // Kid Moro 8-12-5 // Benny Pelz 31-29-22. Crazy! between 1933 and 1935 he fought Perfecto Lopez 8 times; and with a record of 16-12-7 Perfecto he was clearly wasn't. Was he a worthy and deserving opponent? 50 fights into Armstrong's professional career he fought guys like Leo Lomelli 24-14-8 // Lester Marston 9-10-4. Could you imagine if Floyd was fighting guys with records like that right now?!?! Floyd catches shit for fighting Marcos Maidana for his 47th fight. For his, Armstrong fought Sal Hernandez 12-5-4! 100 fights into his pro career Armstrong fights Lew Jenkins 51-26-5, who had lost 5 of his last 6 fights and Earl Turner 16-5-4. I'm sure Floyd could get to 170-0-0 if he fought a career filled with bums!

Robinson - 13 of his 19 loses came in the last 5 years of his career when he was fighting over 155LBS. He lost to guys with records like: 14-4-2 // 15-4-1. He fought 14 times in 1965 alone! Did these final years do anything for his longevity or legacy? Why did he fight so late into his life? He was broke. Floyd is not going out like that - I don't know why you'd want anyone to end their career that way. You're being cruel to suggest that this is something to aspire to.

Roy Jones - Moved up to cruiserweight at age 34 and fought a terrible heavyweight who was lucky to have a title: John Ruiz. This speaks more to the quality of the heavyweight division at the time than it does to Jones' bravery or desire to challenge himself. To prove this point, Jones chooses to not defend the heavyweight title and then proceeds to lose 3 fights within a one year span back at light heavy.

Toney - I love James Toney! He is a fat fuck who was too lazy to train. He did like to challenge himself at the buffet but did not like to push himself in the gym--so yeah, he went up to heavyweight.

What you guys fail to understand is that Floyd has held the top spot in boxing for most of his career. He's been undisputed top 3 p4p for about a decade. He's rich. He makes more money than any other athlete in the world, and he does it without sponsorship deals. He calls himself TBE because that's his brand. He's marketing himself--and he's so good at it that people continue to want to pay $75 to watch his fights. The proof is that he still makes more money than anyone else in sports. You get all mad because he isn't fighting guys that are younger, harder hitting, bigger and heavier than him--but of course he isn't. He needs to keep winning to keep his brand. Why would he fight GGG? Does Golovkin bring big money to the table? No. Does he have fans outside of hardcore boxing fans that will ensure that Floyd will make EVEN MORE money? More money than he did fighting a Robert Guerrerro or Marcos Maidana? No!!! These are really basic business and marketing concepts and that's why I'm telling you you're stupid and asking you if you think before you post. I know you all want boxing to be brainless and about which sad bastard can beat the hell out the other more sad bastard until they both have brain damage... but that's not what boxing really is. It's a big money business that offers fighters the opportunity to make some money in exchange for their health. Few people have the talent, skill, discipline and intelligence to enter the sport and not just survive but thrive and dominate the way Floyd has and then leave with their health and brains and money. Floyd is about to do that. He is a boxing success story and you guys hate him for it. Over time, when people look back and see that Floyd retired 50-0-0, having been the highest earning athlete 5 years in a row AND that he finished his career beating guys with records like 42-0-1 // 37-2-0 // 35-3-0, some of them future hall of famers, then he'll be looked at as one of the best ever -- in the ring and in business.
    Last edited by ruthless rocco; 10-08-2014 at 06:04 AM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Listen kids. Sometimes the truth is harsh and sometimes it takes some strong language to try and get one's point across. I feel badly that your feelings are hurt but let's look at the examples you've provided as rebuttal.

Duran - 14 of his 16 loses were when he fought above 150LBS. This shows he was out of his depth. Floyd is not going to lose a bunch of fights against much bigger guys at the end of his career when he's worked so hard to be perfect for the last 18 years. He's also not the style of fighter Duran was. He's slick, he's finesse. He wants to look untouchable. He's not looking to brawl some guy 3 weight divisions higher than him just to look like a tough guy. He doesn't have anything to prove except that he's better than his peers within his weight class.

Armstrong - He has an amazing numerical record-- 101-21-10!!! He fought from 120LBS to 148LBS. Crazy numbers indeed! Whats crazier is that he fought bums all the time. 30 fights into his professional career he was fighting Young Danny 0-0-1 // Kid Moro 8-12-5 // Benny Pelz 31-29-22. Crazy! between 1933 and 1935 he fought Perfecto Lopez 8 times; and with a record of 16-12-7 Perfecto he was clearly wasn't. Was he a worthy and deserving opponent tho? 50 fights into his professional career he fought guys like Leo Lomelli 24-14-8 // Lester Marston 9-10-4. Could you imagine if Floyd was fighting guys with records like that right now?!?! Floyd catches shit for fighting Marcos Maidana for his 47th fight; for his, Armstrong fought Sal Hernandez 12-5-4! 100 fights into his pro career Armstrong fights Lew Jenkins 51-26-5, who had lost 5 of his last 6 fights and Earl Turner 16-5-4. I'm sure Floyd could get to 170-0-0 if he fought a career filled with bums!

Robinson - 13 of his 19 loses came in the last 5 years of his career when he was fighting over 155LBS. He lost to guys with records like: 14-4-2 // 15-4-1. He fought 14 times in 1965 alone! Did these final years do anything for his longevity? Why did he fight so late into his life? He was broke. Floyd is not going out like that - I don't know why you'd want anyone to end their career that way. You're being cruel to suggest that this is something to look up to.

Roy Jones - Moves up to cruiserweight at age 34 and fights a terrible heavyweight who is lucky to have a title: John Ruiz. This speaks more to the quality of the heavyweight division than it does to Jone's bravery or desire to push himself. To prove this, he chooses to not defend the heavyweight title and then proceeds to lose 3 fights back at light heavy withing a one year span.

Toney - I love James Toney! He is a fat fuck who was too lazy to train. He did like to challenge himself at the buffet but did not like to push himself in the gym--so yeah, he went up to heavyweight.

What you guys fail to understand is that Floyd has held the top spot in boxing for most of his career. He's been undisputed top 3 p4p for about a decade. He's rich. He makes more money than any other athlete in the world, and he does it without sponsorship deals. He calls himself TBE because that's his brand. He's marketing himself--and he's so good at it that people continue to want to pay $75 to watch his fights. The proof is that he still makes more money than anyone else in sports. You get all mad because he isn't fighting guys that are younger, harder hitting, bigger and heavier than him--but of course he isn't. He needs to keep winning to keep his brand. Why would he fight GGG? Does Golovkin bring big money to the table? No. Does he have fans outside of hardcore boxing fans that will ensure that Floyd will make EVEN MORE money? More money than he did fighting a Robert Guerrerro or Marcos Maidana? No!!! These are really basic business and marketing concepts and that's why I'm telling you you're stupid and asking you if you think before you post. I know you all want boxing to be brainless and about which sad bastard can beat the hell out the other more sad bastard until they both have brain damage... but that's not what boxing really is. It's a big money business that offers fighters the opportunity to make some money in exchange for their health. Few people have the talent, skill, discipline and intelligence to enter the sport and not just survive but thrive and dominate the way Floyd has and then leave with their health and brains and money. Floyd is about to do that. He is a boxing success story and you guys hate him for it. Over time, when people look back and see that Floyd retired 50-0-0, having been the highest earning athlete 5 years in a row AND that he finished his career beating guys with records like 42-0-1 // 37-2-0 // 35-3-0, some of them future hall of famers, then he'll be looked at as one of the best ever -- in the ring and in business.
    @ruthless rocco - Are you advocating that Floyd, or any fighter for that matter, shouldn't take challenges to preserve their brand? This is one of the more remarkable posts I've seen from you. You genuinely enjoy the business of boxing more than the sport of boxing. You cheer Floyd's savvy business decisions to the detriment of making challenging fights.

Take your train of thought of apply it to all fighters. No one would fight anyone they didn't have to fight. I'm just curious - did you cheer when Peter Quillin vacated his title instead of fighting Korobov?

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

@ruthless rocco - Are you advocating that Floyd, or any fighter for that matter, shouldn't take challenges to preserve their brand? This is one of the more remarkable posts I've seen from you. You genuinely enjoy the business of boxing more than the sport of boxing. You cheer Floyd's savvy business decisions to the detriment of making challenging fights.

Take your train of thought of apply it to all fighters. No one would fight anyone they didn't have to fight. I'm just curious - did you cheer when Peter Quillin vacated his title instead of fighting Korobov?
    You're missing the point. Floyd isn't most boxers. He's unique. He's the highest level of the sport, both the athleticism and the business ends. There is no other fighter that can operate the way he does. It's not about applying this train of thought to all other fighters. I'm trying to explain why Floyd won't and doesn't need to fight GGG. He is better and smarter than other fighters. Why is that such a problem for you?

Did you not read my post? How are Floyd's fights against guys like Maidana or Guerrero any less challenging than Armstrong or Robinson's fights against larger and heavier guys with pathetic and close to losing records? Why is it that Floyd gets no credit for continuing to fight top contenders at his own weight division? Would you respect Floyd if he moved up to middleweight and fought guys with 12-5-4 or 9-10-4 records like Robinson and Armstrong did or like Jones did with Ruiz? Of course you wouldn't.

You guys are bitching about nothing like a bunch of cry babies.

This seems really really easy to understand. I'm sorry I can't explain it to you.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You're missing the point. Floyd isn't most boxers. He's unique. He's the highest level of the sport, both the athleticism and the business ends. There is no other fighter that can operate the way he does. It's not about applying this train of thought to all other fighters. I'm trying to explain why Floyd won't and doesn't need to fight GGG. He is better and smarter than other fighters. Why is that such a problem for you?

Did you not read my post? How are Floyd's fights against guys like Maidana or Guerrero any less challenging than Armstrong or Robinson's fights against larger and heavier guys with pathetic and close to losing records? Why is it that Floyd gets no credit for continuing to fight top contenders at his own weight division? Would you respect Floyd if he moved up to middleweight and fought guys with 12-5-4 or 9-10-4 records like Robinson and Armstrong did or like Jones did with Ruiz? Of course you wouldn't.

You guys are bitching about nothing like a bunch of cry babies.

This seems really really easy to understand. I'm sorry I can't explain it to you.
    Ur kidding, right? R u trolling tight now? Ur not that dumb, r u? The guy who is on here throwing a tantrum because people said they would like to see Floyd challenge himself and fight GGG is saying other people have hurt feelings? Look kid, we gave Floyd his due and laid out examples of other greats who challenged themselves. If u constantly push the envelope and fight the best u r going to lose. Happens to everyone. No one said Floyd was a bum or sucking anyone, just said that it was an intriguing fight to see. As Floyd's #1 fan u come out of left field like a scorned woman and start whining and crying all hysterical. Like Biggie said: "Get a grip..."

What u r saying, is that once a fighter reaches the P4P level, they should maintain their record and avoid historical fights that r dangerous. I try not insult people on here, but that is probably the dumbest thought I've read and u seem like a moron. Or a really good troll. If u r a troll, job well done.

Thread Information