Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Is this way too throw leading uppercuts?

Share/Bookmark

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Is this way too throw leading uppercuts?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=egIfayF05Gg
    here's a video clip of a very hard hitting fighter throwing what looks to be leaving uppercuts is it thrown from the back foot,and how does he do it is he rolling his shoulders and then putting out? @0:09 he turns his thumbs in, something that scrap is taking about.
    Last edited by BCBUD; 10-10-2014 at 08:38 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Is this way too throw leading uppercuts?

Seen this video before, beautiful work. Excellent power without compromising distance or balance. Yes those are great lead uppercuts but keep in mind he's adjusting his technique to accomplish a specific goal. While correct it isn't the way you'd throw every lead uppercut.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Wanted to go into a little more detail about this video:

Look at the distance this guy can stay at. When he wants to hit me moves just close enough, and doesn't fall in when he hits with either hand. Then he can step around or back a few inches and be safe yet still threatening.

Watch his foot placement whenever you can see it. No matter where he steps, look where his feet and thus his hands and eyes are pointing.

Balance. He can throw multiple very hard punches in a row, punch while pivoting etc without ever looking even a little unsteady. He's got perfect control of his weight, keeps it between his feet and is ready to punch or move at all times.

Posture. Look how straight his back is, how relaxed his shoulders are, that's effortless power punching because his legs are right.

His punching technique is great. Excellent rotation, drive and stability in the right places, sitting down with a strong base, not losing his feet, it's all fantastic.

He's pivoting his feet! OMGWTF take notes

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hi BCBUD,
    First off, nice find!

Anyway, here are some thoughts on the lead uppercut.

Generally speaking, the lead uppercut is an underutilized punch in boxing because it's one of the riskiest and most awkward shots to use as it can leave you more vulnerable to counters than any other punch.

As far as the first kid's mechanics are concerned, they're indeed good. As been said, he's well-balanced and coordinated with good spatial awareness and torque behind his shots. Nonetheless, I'm not a big fan of the long range lead uppercut, no matter what kind of footwork and angulation are used.

With the above said, I think that the long-range uppercut (angular lead or straight-up-the-middle rear, like the ones drilled in the first few minutes of the video) can be a useful one...against a plodding-type, predictable fighter. It's a punch that I believe should generally be used sparingly/un-rhythmically because of the greater vulnerability to a counter left hook, straight right hand, or left jab.

Personally, I prefer to utilize/teach a lead shovel hook in place of the lead uppercut. Having said that, this doesn't mean I completely eschew the shot. I do advocate its strategic use to the chin in close quarters at certain times against particular types of opponents.

Overall, as far as lead and rear uppercuts are concerned, I vastly prefer to incorporate rear uppercuts into the mix more so than lead ones because they can be effectively integrated into the mix with much less risk and more bang for the buck. Conversely with hooks (on an FYI note), I much prefer (as do practically all boxing trainers) to utilize lead hooks over rear ones (the latter not even being acknowledged in boxing lexicon even though it is utilized much more frequently than lead uppercuts). On that tangential note, I find it funny how boxing commentators through the years just won't acknowledge a rear hook by name, erroneously calling it an "overhand" or a "roundhouse" (like the commentators did when Manny Pacquiao knocked out Ricky Hatton with a rear hook and Roy Jones Jr. knocked out Virgil Hill with a rear body hook to the spleen) or just a "right hand." I find this blatant disdain for calling a rear hook anything but a rear hook simply ridiculous. Anyway...

On a final note, here is a once big-name fighter in a showcase fight who utilized lead uppercuts better than most. Watch intently, analyze, and enjoy...

Take Care,
    Lito

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

For lead uppercuts, watch Tyson vs Ruddock, you will see tons of them.
    Learn Mike Tyson style and elements of Peekaboo @ SugarBoxing

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by StrictlySP View Post
    Hi BCBUD,
    First off, nice find!

Generally speaking, the lead uppercut is an underutilized punch in boxing because it's one of the riskiest and most awkward shots to use as it can leave you more vulnerable to counters than any other punch.

As far as the first kid's mechanics are concerned, they're indeed good. As been said, he's well-balanced and coordinated with good spatial awareness and torque behind his shots. Nonetheless, I'm not a big fan of the long range lead uppercut, no matter what kind of footwork and angulation are used.

With the above said, I think that the long-range uppercut (angular lead or straight-up-the-middle rear, like the ones drilled in the first few minutes of the video) can be a useful one...against a plodding-type, predictable fighter. It's a punch that I believe should generally be used sparingly/un-rhythmically because of the greater vulnerability to a counter left hook, straight right hand, or left jab.

Personally, I prefer to utilize/teach a lead shovel hook in place of the lead uppercut. Having said that, this doesn't mean I completely eschew the shot. I do advocate its strategic use to the chin in close quarters at certain times against particular types of opponents.

Overall, as far as lead and rear uppercuts are concerned, I vastly prefer to incorporate rear uppercuts into the mix more so than lead ones because they can be effectively integrated into the mix with much less risk and more bang for the buck. Conversely with hooks (on an FYI note), I much prefer (as do practically all boxing trainers) to utilize lead hooks over rear ones (the latter not even being acknowledged in boxing lexicon even though it is utilized much more frequently than lead uppercuts). On that tangential note, I find it funny how boxing commentators through the years just won't acknowledge a rear hook by name, erroneously calling it an "overhand" or a "roundhouse" (like the commentators did when Manny Pacquiao knocked out Ricky Hatton with a rear hook and Roy Jones Jr. knocked out Virgil Hill with a rear body hook to the spleen) or just a "right hand." I find this blatant disdain for calling a rear hook anything but a rear hook simply ridiculous. Anyway...

On a final note, here is a once big-name fighter in a showcase fight who utilized lead uppercuts better than most. Watch intently, analyze, and enjoy...

Take Care,
    Lito
    Oh man they had Margos gloves and wraps off so quick at the end there.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Cuban national team 0:40 leading upper cutshttps://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J94qBTfI9PY

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Hi BCBUD,
    First off, nice find!

Take Care,
    Lito
    Oh man they had Margos gloves and wraps off so quick at the end there.
    Stepping forward in the leading punching is crucial because it activates the tensor facia lata which couldn't be activated strongly had it not been for that step forward. The russian LC is unique.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hi BCBUD,
    First off, nice find!

Take Care,
    Lito
    I just wanna point out that the guy throwing those is a southpaw. It's a much safer punch to throw in southpaw vs orthodox, and it can come under their jab nicely.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by jms View Post
    Hi BCBUD,
    First off, nice find!

Take Care,
    Lito
    I just wanna point out that the guy throwing those is a southpaw. It's a much safer punch to throw in southpaw vs orthodox, and it can come under their jab nicely.

Could do the exact same thing while retreating if they were reaching in too; if you were in orthodox and removed your left front foot to around the back of your rear foot switching back so your head and body is out of their reach then throw the lead right uppercut cause that stayed in distance.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Thread Information