Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: What Era had the Most Talented HeavyWeights?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: What Era had the Most Talented HeavyWeights?

Wlad was rocked to the soles of his feet. You know it. He is fragile as Amir Khan.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Wlad was rocked to the soles of his feet. You know it. He is fragile as Amir Khan.
    Far as I'm concerned that myth has been totally busted.

Again, LOOK at Pulev, he's massive with a technically great jab. OF course it's going to hurt. Did it gain anymore than disrupting Wlad's balance in any way? No!

So what the hell are you talking about!
    "Enough with the games mate! Your messing with the Grand Master!"

Lennox Lewis

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Wlad's chin is highly questionable, but his boxing skill for a HW is about as good as it gets, much better than Tunney. Tunney didn't have the movement, range or the selection of punches that Wlad did.
    David Lemieux = Future MW Champ and P4P King

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Beanflicker View Post
    Wlad's chin is highly questionable, but his boxing skill for a HW is about as good as it gets, much better than Tunney. Tunney didn't have the movement, range or the selection of punches that Wlad did.
    I'm not claiming he has an iron chin here. If Wladimir gets hit hard, he gets hurt. When you face such big opponents, that's not too shameful.

But he can and has taken many very hard punches over his career and won as well.

Lennox Lewis

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
    I'm not claiming he has an iron chin here. If Wladimir gets hit hard, he gets hurt. When you face such big opponents, that's not too shameful.

But he can and has taken many very hard punches over his career and won as well.
    That was a jab. Wlad was wobbled by a jab. That is why he holds so much.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hmmm you make an interesting point. Well said.
    David Lemieux = Future MW Champ and P4P King

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hmmm you make an interesting point. Well said.
    A jab.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That was a jab. Wlad was wobbled by a jab. That is why he holds so much.
    Wladimir Klitschko when KOed by Sanders involved butts. He got up 3 times before being waved off and finished on his feet. The other losses were gasses in which he was never actually KOed anyway (KD's and then waved off).

He got up 3 times vs Peter a savage and feared puncher, like Earnie Shavers x3 and a couple other times against other opponents to, to WIN.

He has taken multiple bombs vs other boxers too, like Chagaev who slammed him with a big right after the bell which Wladimir took flush and undefended and shook off as if it was nothing. Pulev landed power punches too and Wladimir didn't drop. Povetkin, Wach,, Haye all landed good shots on him and he didn't drop.

Obviously the Pulev jab knocked him off balance, nothing more.

The day Wladimir gets knocked down by a jab I'll be here to hear I told you so!

Your rubbishing Klitschko in a fight he dominantly WON by savage KO and was never KDed in himself! Something is wrong with the picture? Biased!

Lennox Lewis

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You make this up as you go along.

Butts stops Wlad against Sanders? Nonsence.

Chagaev does not and never has thrown bombs.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You make this up as you go along.

Butts stops Wlad against Sanders? Nonsence.

Chagaev does not and never has thrown bombs.
    Chagaev is still 225lbs and you can pull up YouTube clips of his power training. You want to tell me that Shavers, Frazier etc can punch hard, but discredit Chagaev's punch? I don't think so! First it's "anybody over 200lbs can knock anybody out" and now it's "225lb Chagaev can't punch"

Samuel Peter didn't either ey?

Tony Thompson was able to breach Wladimir's defence many times and landed a lot of good shots to seemingly no effect. WATCH it!

I know that Wladimir has taken some big shots. Quite a few actually because he's had so many fights against so many punchers and I have seen all of his fights. You only THINK you know because of what you read on biased articles!

Again, I want to make it very clear that I don't claim Wladimir has an iron chin. But he DOES have a GOOD chin with respect to the current division. It is actually ridiculous to claim that the most dominant champ in history vs the heaviest and hardest hitting era can ACTUALLY have a glass jaw!

These 12 KD's he suffered actually occurred over only 6 fights and consecutively when they occurred. When Lennox Lewis got sparked out he was unable to get up at all! You cannot PENALISE Wladimir for GETTING UP several times when he is knocked down consecutively as if this is WORSE somehow than staying down!

Disregarding gas related and medical conditions and counting all 6 occasions as relevant chin issues, please name me ANY other boxer who comes CLOSE to having fought so many 200+ fights with so FEW incidence of being KD'd? There are NONE!

If you want to maintain that Klitschko is a glass jaw, fine, but you inadvertently admit that Klitschko has superior skills to anything else yet seen if you do.

The truth is in between, trust me!

One further thing. If Wladimir Klitschko decided to fight on in his 40's (which he wont) and put on some chub as many boxers do as they age, he would be able to take an even better punch no doubt!

The most athletic boxers sacrifice chin for speed and agility and workrate.

The toughest boxers sacrifice speed, agility and workrate for chin and resistance.

You can see this clearly throughout history, the athletic boxers got slaughtered when they lost and the chubbers survived more often than not.

If Wladimir Klitschko had decided instead to come in less than athletic during his career, you would be complaining instead how he ate too many cheeseburgers etc.

Lennox Lewis

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Wald is not the most dominate champion in its history, Joe Louis is.

How is this the most hardest hitting division in history?

Tony Thompson is not a puncher.

Lennox also got back up from his knock outs.

Why would I care if Wlad gets blubber on his body? You seem more obsessed about men’s bodies than I do.

You are digging a hole for yourself, stop digging.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Wald is not the most dominate champion in its history, Joe Louis is.

How is this the most hardest hitting division in history?

Tony Thompson is not a puncher.

Lennox also got back up from his knock outs.

Why would I care if Wlad gets blubber on his body? You seem more obsessed about men’s bodies than I do.

You are digging a hole for yourself, stop digging.
    Joe Louis is ONLY the most dominant HW in history if you CALL 185lb title defences "HW".

By the modern definition, he was NOT really a HW for much of his career and most of his opponents were not really HW's either!

Plus, even in a world where weight doesn't matter, would Wladimir be allowed to defend against the same bums as Louis? Of course not!

This is why bums must be kicked off the record and only MEANINGFUL fights compared. Anybody can line up 20 bums or 20 cruisers, knock them all out and raise their stats to unheard of levels, we complain about it already with Deontay Wilder!

Thompson is not a puncher is a very relative position. His ratio isn't that special today! But he did KO some notable opponents and he is 250lbs with great timing.

If you calculated Thompson's nostalgic ratio, and put him back in the early days, American fans would claim today that "Wladimir Klitschko has never faced a power puncher like big Tony Thompson". That is a fact!

Lennox Lewis

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Joe Louis was a heavyweight champion.

In 50 years time Wlad may be considered a cruiserweight but he still was heavyweight champion.

Stop trying to re-write history.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Joe Louis was a heavyweight champion.

In 50 years time Wlad may be considered a cruiserweight but he still was heavyweight champion.

Stop trying to re-write history.
    Alright, let me make you a concession here...

Don't try to sell me on consecutive defences because they are meaningless, a loss is a loss and an upset an upset.

(as a side note the same thing applies to "X time Heavyweight champ", it's meaningless, basically meaning you LOST it X-1 times!

Don't try to sell me on "undisputed" because it is obviously harder to win and retain more than 1 belt.

Joe Louis is the most dominant HW champion still of all time to date ok.. Given the following criteria...

"Most successful title defences."

You do realise that Wladimir is basically set to overtake this anyway right.. In total. And when he does I will no longer make this concession.

In terms of a 200+ HW record, EVEN WITH BUMS (a win is a win), Wladimir has already surpassed it!

So really it comes down to what HW really means. I think that when the definition changes, it's irrelevant what things were called in the past.

If the speed limit changes from 60 to 50 km per hour, I hardly think the cop will care what the speed limit was yesterday let alone in 1930!

I don't think you can fairly COMPARE Joe Louis to Wladimir Klitschko in this way because they have absolutely NOTHING in common, except they were at one point in history, both CALLED Heavyweights!

Lennox Lewis

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It was definitely a jab

Thread Information