Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: What Era had the Most Talented HeavyWeights?

Share/Bookmark

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default What Era had the Most Talented HeavyWeights?

Inspired by Beanflicker thread on Wlad's undefeated opponents.

Not sure if this has been brought up often/recent. What era had the most talented HW's?

I question this because it seems (automatic) for us to claim Wlad, then Vitali fought in a weak division.

As a child in the 1970's I've had 3 decades to access; my conclusion is that the use-to-be darling division of boxing [HW]---has rarily had been stacked.

Usually it's the WW, MW division or LW division that is packed. Problem with those weight classes is that most fighters who start out at Feather for example, end their careers around WW. So those fighters can be accessed at multiple divisions.

Or fighters who start at MW (Toney, RJJ, Nunn) for example move up to SMW, then LHW, but the HW division rarily has top fighters who come from CW, Like the old days of Massimilano Duran, James Warring, Alfre Ice Cole, Charles Daniels- these were workman like fighters with no pizazz, or power-just decent CW's who tried HW. Holyfield was the exception for the CW's.

And it appears that power punchers like Lateef Kayode won't make a difference either-especially now that the division has been dominated by 6'4 fighters since Bowe, Lewis, Vitaly & now Wlad.

The link below is a cover of my favorite Ring magazine issue involving HW's- For me it was the best HW division I can think of...ever.

Michael Moorer coming up from LHW had all Knockouts 26-0 26KO's. Razor Ruddock, a young undefeated Lennox Lewis & Riddick Bowe.
    Tommy Morrison was coming on, David Tua came out and called out Tyson.
    Holyfield came up from CW, plus the gatekeepers like Bert Cooper hadn't loss but a fight, Ray Mercer was undefeated. Alex Stewart at one point was 24-0, the 6'5 fighter who beat Bowe & Lewis in the amatuers, Jorge Luis Gonzalez was 23-0 talking BIG shit. Andrew Golota was new as well as Ibeabuchi these guys were all in the early-mid 90's circa.

A few of those guys sizzled, then fizzled, but they went up against each other-for the most part- Bowe threw his belt in the can -not to fight Lewis. Tyson paid Lewis stepaside $$ back then.

1990-1995 was packed with contenders, champions and even produced 2 legends (Lewis, Holyfield)

Not saying they were better than any one person like a Joe Louis...but didn't he call his circa the (bum of the month club?) or Marciano who fought past it fighters Like Ezzard Charles, Jersey Joe, Archie Moore & an IRS taxed-out Joe Louis?

October 1992 Ring Magazine Bowe Lewis Ruddock Moorer Cover | eBay

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: What Era had the Most Talented HeavyWeights?

You have said it the 1970's and 1990's were 1 and 2. Maybe late 60's 3rd.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    In terms of general appeal Dempsey era 1920's it was the pinnacle for audiences watching.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The 70s will always take it, and I can't argue, but my personal favourite era is the late 80s to the late 90s. I think it's a really underrated time. It had a lot of depth and an abundance of really solid contenders. The 90s really speak for themselves, but I think Tyson's era goes under appreciated. Tony Tucker was a fucking monster.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Beanflicker View Post
    The 70s will always take it, and I can't argue, but my personal favourite era is the late 80s to the late 90s. I think it's a really underrated time. It had a lot of depth and an abundance of really solid contenders. The 90s really speak for themselves, but I think Tyson's era goes under appreciated. Tony Tucker was a fucking monster.
    Yes Tucker and Briggs would have been a great if it was not for Tyson.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yes Tucker and Briggs would have been a great if it was not for Tyson.
    Is this a joke?

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Agree, except the 80's- IMO that was the era of passing the HW belt.
    Berbick, Tubbs, Tucker, Bonecrusher Smith, Tillis, Ferguson.
    A CW looking Marvis Frazier, an (i can only fight well in the amatuer) Tyrrell Biggs
    Tyson took those belts like candy from a blind baby & defeated them like it was a walk in the park.

Had Tyson made it to the olympics and came out in the late 80's instead of 1985, I can only wonder not if, but how many times he may have lost...

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by SlimTrae View Post
    Agree, except the 80's- IMO that was the era of passing the HW belt.
    Berbick, Tubbs, Tucker, Bonecrusher Smith, Tillis, Ferguson.
    A CW looking Marvis Frazier, an (i can only fight well in the amatuer) Tyrrell Biggs
    Tyson took those belts like candy from a blind baby & defeated them like it was a walk in the park.

Had Tyson made it to the olympics and came out in the late 80's instead of 1985, I can only wonder not if, but how many times he may have lost...
    Why?

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Whenever you get a period of time where one guy is super dominant and no one can really challenge him, I think people just automatically assume the period of time stinks. I think Wlad's era is criminally underrated for the same reason. I think a lot of those guys listed were incredible fighters who could have been threats in any era.

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Haven't looked on youtube yet to see any Cleveland Williams fights, but I've listened to a few old school guys in the barber shop who said he was a tough customer, but Ali got him on the downside.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by SlimTrae View Post
    Haven't looked on youtube yet to see any Cleveland Williams fights, but I've listened to a few old school guys in the barber shop who said he was a tough customer, but Ali got him on the downside.
    That was Ali's more beautiful performance.

Some anti-Ali posters say Williams was not the same fighter since he had a bullet in his body.

Thread Information