1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Max powerism 101:

MAX POWERISM 101:

--bigger is better
    --newer is bigger
    ∴ newer is better

There you go @maxpower . Now you never have to start another thread or contribute to another post ever again.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Max powerism 101:

Screw you Rocco!

I haven't started any threads in months. And shouldn't these slanderous ones be in that nasty little hidden board I stumbled across earlier?

You think size is the only factor I look at when I compare boxers? If that were the case then you could easily refute any argument because obviously smaller boxers can and do beat bigger ones. Otherwise there'd be no point to boxing because we'd know who the winners will be.

But I'm sorry, when discussing the HW division, where you are expressly ALLOWED to outweigh your opponent by an unlimited amount, then proportions become extremely important!

In fact, aside from skill, which is a subjective assessment, weight is the next most important and the first most directly measurable important quality in assessing a HW fighter. It's inescapable.

When for instance, Wladimir Klitschko fought the then only undefeated American HW Ray Austin, there was no height or weight advantage for either, they were exactly the same. So Wladimir must have possessed some other feature that was decisive in this fight... QUALITY.

And when 205lb Holyfield lost to Riddick Bowe, his trainers decided for him to bulk up to 215 for the next fight with Bowe which he won. They did NOT think he should further cut his weight for "speed" reasons!
    "Enough with the games mate! Your messing with the Grand Master!"

Lennox Lewis

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Whoops my bad! I over complicated the lesson. Let's start over.

MAX POWERISM 101:

Newer is better.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
    When for instance, Wladimir Klitschko fought the then only undefeated American HW Ray Austin, there was no height or weight advantage for either, they were exactly the same. So Wladimir must have possessed some other feature that was decisive in this fight... QUALITY.
    I don't think ray austin was ever undefeated.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by palmerq View Post

Well he was.. Until he met Wladimir.

In fact even the draw vs Ibragimov was basically a win for Austin. He filed a protest because they did not score a KD during the fight. The panel agreed, did not overturn the decision but based on findings, is what earned Austin his shot.

Lennox Lewis

Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Screw you Rocco!

I haven't started any threads in months. And shouldn't these slanderous ones be in that nasty little hidden board I stumbled across earlier?

You think size is the only factor I look at when I compare boxers? If that were the case then you could easily refute any argument because obviously smaller boxers can and do beat bigger ones. Otherwise there'd be no point to boxing because we'd know who the winners will be.

But I'm sorry, when discussing the HW division, where you are expressly ALLOWED to outweigh your opponent by an unlimited amount, then proportions become extremely important!

In fact, aside from skill, which is a subjective assessment, weight is the next most important and the first most directly measurable important quality in assessing a HW fighter. It's inescapable.

And when 205lb Holyfield lost to Riddick Bowe, his trainers decided for him to bulk up to 215 for the next fight with Bowe which he won. They did NOT think he should further cut his weight for "speed" reasons!

That's because you were banned.
    Remember reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol .

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by palmerq View Post

Well he was.. Until he met Wladimir.

In fact even the draw vs Ibragimov was basically a win for Austin. He filed a protest because they did not score a KD during the fight. The panel agreed, did not overturn the decision but based on findings, is what earned Austin his shot.
    Ray Austin - Boxer

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I want to write a word support to @Max Power

that sometimes, very untraditional way of thinking might be very valuable.
    Learn Mike Tyson style and elements of Peekaboo @ SugarBoxing

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by NVSemin View Post
    I want to write a word support to @Max Power

that sometimes, very untraditional way of thinking might be very valuable.
    Thanks, but where I'm from, the tradition is reversed.

You could approximately sum up my assertations even more simply, without any analysis..

It goes..

"AS IF most of these guys you try to promote against the ones you bash would stand any chance whatsoever!"

It is unimaginable what the upper echelons of HW boxing today would do to long ago eras boxers.

But all nationalist and racist reasons aside, there is a more basic reason why anybody, even modernist fans sometimes make illegitimate comparison and it is confusion over the term HW.

Past eras were CALLED HW but they were largely synonymous with the Cruiserweight and at even earlier times the current light HW division.

It then becomes obvious that current limit weight boxers are faster, more skilled and more athletic than any boxers of the past.

The only thing these old guys have in common with current HW's is the NAME only.

Take a look at these 2 "boys" here...

http://image.trucktrend.com/f/featur...hammad-ali.jpg.

It's only when you view images like this with respect to what I said above that one realises guys like Clay and Joe were NOT HW's as we describe them today, but GROSSLY OUT OF SHAPE CRUISERS!

Then look at this picture...

http://2l7kr2xl4t7418ewd3w7ur01d2m.w...weigh-in-1.jpg

Do you see the difference, yes or no?

Lennox Lewis

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Are we talking up Ray "The Rainman" Austin here??

I saw the fight.
    If I were defending Wlad's record, I'd leave Rainman out of the argument.

Also, I know encyclopedic sources are generally frowned upon around here, but.....
    Admittedly, not having been a big "Rainman" follower during his forgettable career, I must resort to Wikipedia for this sort of thing.

So..... weren't there 3 defeats in Rainman's record when he "fought" (and I use the term loosely) Wladimir?
    Including one by knockout?

Someone enlighten me how this somehow constitutes an undefeated record.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Newer IS better.

You don't often here ''..and the old', do you

Logic
    Hidden Content
    Original & Best: The Sugar Man

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I can see your point,modern fighters do have it better in so many ways. In general over all the weights I think the fighters of old were more mentally tough from the work during the times and were more determined grittier fighters that could go for some amazing number of rounds.Most fights were for around an hour but varied from 20 minutes up to 3 and half hours. One bare fisted boxing match went for 3 hours 16 miniutes after which one fighter Simon Byrne died 3 days later (Byrne had also killed a man in the ring prior to his last fight.)
    Theres the difference; skills correct diets advanced techniques lesser rounds and gloves.
    Cant compare the two really and then there s the guys who fell into the game in between the two extremes some had some of the old grit in them some more of the newer stuff some a touch of both hard to draw a distinct line in the sand though. 20 rounds,15,12,10. You take one fighter from here to there or one from there to here and each may not do so well in the others eras.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Jimanuel Boogustus View Post
    Newer IS better.

You don't often here ''..and the old', do you

Logic
    So true, thats another point again.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Again Max shows pictures of the bodies of today's heavyweights so what they are fitter, better, stronger, firmer, gayer?
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    Are we talking up Ray "The Rainman" Austin here??

I saw the fight.
    If I were defending Wlad's record, I'd leave Rainman out of the argument.

Also, I know encyclopedic sources are generally frowned upon around here, but.....
    Admittedly, not having been a big "Rainman" follower during his forgettable career, I must resort to Wikipedia for this sort of thing.

So..... weren't there 3 defeats in Rainman's record when he "fought" (and I use the term loosely) Wladimir?
    Including one by knockout?

Someone enlighten me how this somehow constitutes an undefeated record.

Er.. That was my bad. Sorry yes, Ray was not undefeated I made huge mistake. It was his opponent Ibragimov that was undefeated.

Anyway I was not bringing up Austin to promote HIS quality, merely that because him and Wladimir are the same size, obviously Wladimir possesses something else besides size to win.

Some guys try to claim that I ONLY use size in arguments.

Lennox Lewis

Thread Information