Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Cotto denies deal with Alvarez

Could be part of the game whatever that is but this is why I never believe it until its advertised. Could be Cotto's ego was slapped by Oscar announcing it first I suppose as he does seem a little high on himself lately.

By Rey Colón -The Sport Press

The Twitter announcement of Oscar de la Hoya, President of Golden Boy Promotions, implying that an agreement has been made for WBC middleweight champion Miguel Cotto to fight Saul “Canelo” Alvarez on May 2 has been denied by Cotto advisor Gaby Peñagarícano. “No. That is not correct. There is no agreement yet,” said the lawyer flatly. Talks have been ongoing for several weeks but according to Peñagaricano they have not finished nor can it be ruled out that Cotto could face Floyd Mayweather Jr. instead.

“The reality is that no agreement is there yet. None. For any fight. We are in talks, but announcing that we’ve reached an agreement for that fight is not true. And a fight with Mayweather has certainly not been ruled out. We need to first see what will happen (Mayweather-Pacquiao) and if it’s not happening as I believe, it (Mayweather-Cotto) could be a possibility. It’s an interesting fight.”

This isn’t the first time De la Hoya had made use of social networks (Twitter) to publicize that he’s reached an agreement without being correct and it seems that he’s looking to promote the eventual card.

Even the date mentioned for the bout between Mayweather Jr and Pacquiao, who is also trained by Freddie Roach, should be discussed before making a decision.

“That’s a factor, but the fight between Pacquiao and Mayweather I don’t see as real at all,” Peñagarícano said.

Incidentally, Al Haymon allegedly has an offer of $40 million for Cotto to face Mayweather Jr. but the boricua’s relationship with the Top Rank at the moment is very solid.

“In short, there is still no agreement to fight between Cotto and Canelo. If it’s on or if it’s not, we’ll know later. The talks remain in process,” he concluded.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Cotto denies deal with Alvarez

As crazy as it is I think Cotto is the Golden Goose. Could be top tier assuming an easy trinket grab at middle...if they make Cotto v Golovkin I'll be wrapping my screen in yellow crime scene tape ..or some one who has already beat him finally moving UP grabbing division gold. Cotto needs to play his best hand, I have a hard time calling him middleweight champ, but he has all the options.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    As crazy as it is I think Cotto is the Golden Goose. Could be top tier assuming an easy trinket grab at middle...if they make Cotto v Golovkin I'll be wrapping my screen in yellow crime scene tape ..or some one who has already beat him finally moving UP grabbing division gold. Cotto needs to play his best hand, I have a hard time calling him middleweight champ, but he has all the options.
    Part of me thought maybe this was Cotto simply pissed off over them saying something first but damn if that 40 mil is legit this is a no brainer.

Perhaps Floyd wants to close with a 160 title. 40 million suggests a lot of want. I doubt he cares how legit it is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Cotto is a better fighter than Canelo..

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Cotto is one of those fighters that always comes across as though he might be in denial. Don't deny, Miguel. Be proud of who you are and fight GGG instead, before Brockton smashes him first.

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Wether Cotto is finished or not as a fighter: His name still brings $$$ to the table.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Fighters don't age backward. Especially after the beatings Cotto took. I understand trying to make the most of his showing against a Martinez on the slide... But the only people paying for that fight are floyd fans and cotton fans. It wont be any different than the first time, Anything Maidana shaved off of Floyd doesn't apply to cotto's chances and anything Freddy added to cotto's game doesn't apply to Floyd. Smoke and mirrors, so everyone could tune in and watch floyd swat cotto from his bicycle without doing any damage. It will spell the end of boxing as we know it.. Bradley, gets 2 shots at Pac. Then Maidana rematches Mayweather after mayweather sandbags in the first fight, now Cottos coming around for the second time, while the thurmans, brooks, porters, mathysse's and whoever else just sit around waiting for the journeyman to die off so they can be recognized..Absolutely criminal....
    They want your @$$ beat because upsets make news. News brings about excitement, excitement brings about ratings. The objective is to bring you up to the tower and tear your @$$ down. And if you don't believe that, you're crazy.

Roy Jones, Jr. "What I've Learned," Esquire 2003

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

De la Hoya is trying to pressure Cotto into accepting the fight by going to the media with half-cooked announcements. It's not gonna work, and De la Hoya should take the hint and STFU until both sides reach an agreement acceptable to both of them.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

From Cottos adviser

Gaby Penagaricano on Cotto being the A-side and deserving the lion’s share of the purses:

“Obviously, and Canelo and Oscar’s side, they recognize that but that’s not the problem. But the question is, ‘How much of the lion’s share?’ that one guy should get and what the other should get. So that’s it.”

On the venue, given Cotto almost traditionally fights in New York in June:

“I would say that there is no leading candidate. I think that Las Vegas, Texas and New York — the three of them are the leading candidates. I would not discard any of them as far as being one of the possible venues yet.

On the date, given Cotto-Alvarez and a potential Mayweather-Manny Pacquiao fight are being discussed for May 2:

“The date is not the problem. I know that Canelo, being that he is Mexican, has said that May 2 he wants that date because he has a relationship to that date. I think that is a Canelo issue, meaning that, to him, it’s of utmost importance that it occurs on that date.

“I respect that. We definitely respect that because he’s Mexican, obviously. But that’s not our issue; that’s [Canelo]‘s issue. We could fight in April, May or June, no problem.”

On a potential rematch with Mayweather if Cotto-Alvarez does not happen:

“We’re interested. If we end up not fighting Canelo because we can not agree on terms, then everything is on the table – and that includes Mayweather, if we can make a deal. No opponent is off the table.

“I haven’t discussed with Miguel that if we cannot make a deal with Canelo, would Floyd be next? But obviously, I know Miguel and he’s made it very clear that he would only be interested in the biggest fights possible.

“So obviously, the Mayweather fight is probably the biggest fight out there. Again, I have not spoken to Miguel about it but I would think that if the Mayweather fight was available, that he would be interested in it.”

On the rumors that Cotto was offered $40 million for a rematch with Mayweather:

“Of course, I can address that. No, the information is false. We did not get offered $40 million to fight Floyd.”

On the potential fight with Golovkin:

“My thoughts on Golovkin are that, you know Miguel; for his entire career, you don’t look at risk or anything like that. He just wants to go and to fight the best. But there are a few bigger fights than a fight with Golovkin.

“Everybody knows that and you and me know that. So Miguel will be interested in taking the biggest fights first. If not all of the big fights are there, then, he will consider Golovkin. Right now, that’s not the current scenario, so we’re not there yet.

“Certainly with Canelo and with Floyd, those two are there and those are a lot bigger than a fight with Golovkin. So as long as those two are there, then I think that Golovkin is a conversation for the near future and not for right now.”

On whether or not Bradley could be represent a bigger fight than Golovkin:

“He could be. He’s an excellent fighter. He’s class A and he’s absolutely at the top of the game. So I’m sure that, also, he would make a great fight. Sure, I would say that he would be a bit bigger than Golovkin, I would say.”
    Miguel Cotto's adviser mulls Canelo Alvarez, Floyd Mayweather Jr., Gennady Golovkin - Ring TV

Boxing is becoming less and less about the boxing.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah, no shock that a blown up feather-fisted Bradley represents a "bigger" fight than a unification GGG... Considering he's advising Bradley too..

So in layman's terms: Cotto wants all the money, probably home court advantage to fight Canelo in a fight where he will probably sustain some damage. But if that doesnt happen, he'd be happy to take lesser money to get pity patted by floyd, and walk away damage free so he can extend his career long enough to pull this a-side crap again to pitty patted by a blown up bradley, because GGG doesn't have a big enough rep yet aside from that detail that people are scared to fight him thing. Why dont we yank algieri out of medical school and he can pay cotto to chase him around the ring beat him from pillar to post.

Golovkin is the man to beat but at least Andy Lee's got the stones to defend his title. I wont get into to Jermain at this point. Makes me wish Martinez still had enough to blow cotto out so we wouldn't be going through this A-side/B-side Bull$h*t. As much as i didn't like Quinlin, He at least had the honor to lay his strap down and walk away if he wasn't going to defend it.
    Last edited by J_Undisputed; 12-30-2014 at 11:01 AM. Reason: typo
    They want your @$$ beat because upsets make news. News brings about excitement, excitement brings about ratings. The objective is to bring you up to the tower and tear your @$$ down. And if you don't believe that, you're crazy.

Roy Jones, Jr. "What I've Learned," Esquire 2003

Mentioned
    945 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Cotto can fight who he likes,but if he is so anxious to avoid a genuine middleweight, let alone a middleweight title holder, he should have the common decency to drop the strap along with any pretence that he is the man to beat in the division. Yes he beat the man but in reality that was someone who used to be the man, whilst the true middleweight king is being dismissed as irrelevant.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Cotto fucked either way might as well get his money funny thing is he was never the man at any other weight now that he is doesn't want to fight the main guy there. Anyhow should just cash it in i think GGG kills him and the Alverez fight he gets fucked but for alot more money then GGG.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The way I see Cotto's options:

A) Mayweather, most money, no serious damage taken in defeat.
    B) Alvarez, nice payday, grueling fight and most likely to lose, but with a fighting chance.
    C) Golovkin, average payday, and an awful beating, a lot of damage taken.
    D) Bradley, fucking joke fight but maybe a payday.

Hopefully it won't be between A and D, as nobody needs to see those.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

So what your saying is he going to fight A and then fight D pretty much right i mean does Cotto want to get fucking killed or make some money and not be dead. GGG i think will kill him and Ginger got some faults but his power going to fuck people up that fight with him does have a name though and some money. I mean what a fucking joke mw division i mean champ out for like a year and then fights Cotto and now Cotto won so that mean he won't fight the top guy GGG what a fucking joke.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think it is a strategically placed statement and part of the ongoing negotiations. I am sure Cotto wants to fight Canelo and is just expressing to people that he has other options. I do not think he
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Thread Information