Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Best in ability.

Who are/were the best fighters in terms of pure ability/skills?

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Best in ability.

Floyd, Pac, Roy Jones, Pernell Whitaker, Sugar Ray Robinson
    David Lemieux = Future MW Champ and P4P King

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sugar Ray Leonard has to be up there.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah he was pretty good
    David Lemieux = Future MW Champ and P4P King

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Do you mean natural gifts, natural ability to make people miss, or actual skill?!? All three are different and I would rank guys different in each. Here are a few of my choices:

Naturally gifted: Roy Jones is the poster boy for this category. In his prime he was unbelievably fast, hit ridiculously hard, had natural instinctive ability, razor sharp reflexes and graceful foot movements. I don't consider fast, naturally slick fighters like Floyd and Whitaker in this category because while they were blessed with speed, they didn't have the total package like Roy. Manny and both Sugar Rays belong in this category also, although the Sugar Rays fought in a more traditional/fundamentally sound manner.

Natural defensive ability: Sweet Pea is the prime example for me. He was very creative and just seemed to take more pleasure in making the other guy miss than landing a good shot. Lou Duva said that off the street Pernell was able to stand in front of more experienced fighters and make them miss. Floyd, James Toney and Wilfredo Benitez fit this category well also.

Learned skill: Floyd and BHOP are both poster children for this spot. Unbelievably skilled fighters who are versatile and can do everything in the ring. Other equally great examples are the Sugar Rays, Ricardo Lopez, Mike Mcallum, James Toney, Marvin Hagler and many more.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by mikeeod View Post
    Do you mean natural gifts, natural ability to make people miss, or actual skill?!? All three are different and I would rank guys different in each. Here are a few of my choices:

Naturally gifted: Roy Jones is the poster boy for this category. In his prime he was unbelievably fast, hit ridiculously hard, had natural instinctive ability, razor sharp reflexes and graceful foot movements. I don't consider fast, naturally slick fighters like Floyd and Whitaker in this category because while they were blessed with speed, they didn't have the total package like Roy. Manny and both Sugar Rays belong in this category also, although the Sugar Rays fought in a more traditional/fundamentally sound manner.

Natural defensive ability: Sweet Pea is the prime example for me. He was very creative and just seemed to take more pleasure in making the other guy miss than landing a good shot. Lou Duva said that off the street Pernell was able to stand in front of more experienced fighters and make them miss. Floyd, James Toney and Wilfredo Benitez fit this category well also.

Learned skill: Floyd and BHOP are both poster children for this spot. Unbelievably skilled fighters who are versatile and can do everything in the ring. Other equally great examples are the Sugar Rays, Ricardo Lopez, Mike Mcallum, James Toney, Marvin Hagler and many more.
    Would Benitez fit in the naturally gifted category?

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by VG_Addict View Post

Would Benitez fit in the naturally gifted category?
    Other than the one punch knockout of Maurice Hope, I don't recall Benitez having the big punch to go with his speed and reflexes. Not to say that he didn't have decent pop, just saying I don't recall him having the same "WOW" factor in speed AND power departments that Roy and Manny have/had. I think any fighter at the elite level is extremely gifted, but guys like Roy and Manny are just ridiculous and athletically a step above the elite. Meldrick Taylor is a lot like Benitez in my book, where he had natural fighting instincts and just insane speed, but "only" good power. Just my take though, I can see valid points made against how I look at it...

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Word!

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Natural attacking punching ability : Tyson, Hearns, Julian Jackson
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Not to be "that guy", but I found it interesting that Manny Steward was quoted as saying Tommy had to be taught to punch like he did/does. I always thought that due to his frame and build Tommy was just a natural puncher. Would post the link but I'm on my phone about to go to church. Anyways, Julian Jackson and Mike Tyson were DEFINITE born punchers.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Not to be "that guy", but I found it interesting that Manny Steward was quoted as saying Tommy had to be taught to punch like he did/does. I always thought that due to his frame and build Tommy was just a natural puncher. Would post the link but I'm on my phone about to go to church. Anyways, Julian Jackson and Mike Tyson were DEFINITE born punchers.
    I've always read and heard that punching ability can be improved but the big punch is something you are born with. I always assumed they were talking about improving the delivery.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by beenKOed View Post
    I've always read and heard that punching ability can be improved but the big punch is something you are born with. I always assumed they were talking about improving the delivery.
    Yes Hearns was also a natural born puncher.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thomas Hearns - Incredible boxing skills allied to one punch ending power.

He could box you into oblivion, or knock you into oblivion.

If he had better stamina, he might have been the greatest fighter that ever lived.
    The legend of Drederick Tatum!Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Inoue and linares..

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Wlad-Master Clincher. Ability to nulify an attack with it.

Thread Information