Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Why was Mike Tyson so popular?

We never really ever knew why, huh?

We knew why Ali was popular- he was mouthy, political, Muslim and he stood for something. He also backed up his talks in the ring.

We knew why Joe Louis was popular- war veteran, string of undefeated title defences, defeated Nazi Germany via Schmeling, etc, etc...

But, there were a lot of guys that were champions before and after Tyson who we, quite frankly, could give a fuck about in the grand scheme of things- and we mean Lewis, the Klits, Holyfield, and Bowe.

So, what in the world made Tyson such a mega star and still revered and talked about to this day, despite all of what he has done and gone through?
    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Why was Mike Tyson so popular?

Sex appeal and knock out power.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mike Tyson is the most popular boxer of all time and will be for probably a very long time to come.

IT was his Spartan approach to the sport, unlike the prissy heroes of the sport before him, he entered the ring like a panther hungry with the smell of his next kill.

And the viciousness with which he launched himself in for the kill from the opening bell was something never before seen in boxing.

And the level of skill, speed, power and reflexes, accuracy, timing coupled with that aggression was also never before witnessed. Nearly impossible to hit clean, nearly impossible to evade, nearly impossible to withstand.

For a time, he was considered unlike any fighter before or after.. Invincible!

If it was not for watching Tyson when I was a lad, I probably would never have become interested in boxing at all. I was VERY impressed!
    "Enough with the games mate! Your messing with the Grand Master!"

Lennox Lewis

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

First, Muhammed Ali was hated by more people in his day than Broner.

As for Tyson, he was what people wanted in a heavyweight champion. He seemed like a caged animal that was only let loose on fight night. And he went in there to destroy. Then when he was allowed to be in the media he was a train wreck. Train wrecks are both horrifying and compelling. A wreck doesn't have to obstruct a road to cause a traffic jam because everyone wants to get a good look.

There will always be a bit of intrigue with Mike, how we can never know what might happen at the next moment.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

KOs, Sir! He was young, seemed to live for boxing, didn't talk about much of anything except boxing. Did I mention KOs.
    We knew he came from a single parent household, had gotten into some trouble, but seemed to being doing great with boxing as his main focus.
    Had a close relationship with Cus, trained hard, spoke with hi pitched voice that didn't seem to fit in with what he did on the ring.
    He kept KOing bigger, more experienced fighters with ease. He seemed to gain confidence with every KO. His life turned into a KO highlight reel.
    That's why I liked him. I'm interested in what everyone else has to say.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post

As for Tyson, he was what people wanted in a heavyweight champion. He seemed like a caged animal that was only let loose on fight night. And he went in there to destroy. Then when he was allowed to be in the media he was a train wreck. Train wrecks are both horrifying and compelling. A wreck doesn't have to obstruct a road to cause a traffic jam because everyone wants to get a good look.

There will always be a bit of intrigue with Mike, how we can never know what might happen at the next moment.
    That's not entirely true @Ron Swanson,

When Mike was champ first reign, for the most part, he was a beloved character by everyone outside of the ring. He was the epitome of the good guy.

And even AFTER he viciously assaulted his fellow boxer, he always went over to help them up to their feet and into their corner.

There had been FEW more gentlemanly men in the sport than Tyson UNTIL the Given's saga unfolded and he went off the rails.

And today, after boxing, Mike is once again a good guy.
    "Enough with the games mate! Your messing with the Grand Master!"

Lennox Lewis

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Why have the threads you make not gotten any less stupid? That's a much better question.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He was a no nonsense, get in the ring and get the job done fighter. He did it with great efficiency until Cus went. He was also very respectful until then. I was impressed by his deep knowledge of the sports history and analysis. The leeches around him after Cus ressurected his old demons and brought him down. Never forget the awesome spectacle of a Tyson fight. Very few fighters have even come close to that. It was sad to see such a great fighter go down so quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by beenKOed View Post
    KOs, Sir! He was young, seemed to live for boxing, didn't talk about much of anything except boxing. Did I mention KOs.
    We knew he came from a single parent household, had gotten into some trouble, but seemed to being doing great with boxing as his main focus.
    Had a close relationship with Cus, trained hard, spoke with hi pitched voice that didn't seem to fit in with what he did on the ring.
    He kept KOing bigger, more experienced fighters with ease. He seemed to gain confidence with every KO. His life turned into a KO highlight reel.
    That's why I liked him. I'm interested in what everyone else has to say.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ykdadamaja View Post
    We never really ever knew why, huh?

We knew why Ali was popular- he was mouthy, political, Muslim and he stood for something. He also backed up his talks in the ring.

We knew why Joe Louis was popular- war veteran, string of undefeated title defences, defeated Nazi Germany via Schmeling, etc, etc...

But, there were a lot of guys that were champions before and after Tyson who we, quite frankly, could give a fuck about in the grand scheme of things- and we mean Lewis, the Klits, Holyfield, and Bowe.

So, what in the world made Tyson such a mega star and still revered and talked about to this day, despite all of what he has done and gone through?
    Do not confuse popularity and general fame.

Quote Originally Posted by ykdadamaja View Post
    in 70, Ali was like Mayweather now: 50% people loved him, 50% people hated him. But he was very famous.

Going back to your question...

Mike is like Jonny Tapia, HUGE talent, way beyoed Lennox, Klits, and Holyfeild, he brings drama and such.

Lennox, Klits, Holyfield are kinda predictable. With Mike you never know what to expect
    Also, at a certain time, everybody hoped the 86-88 era MIke would come back and KICK ASS.

I would still go watch him fight for this feeling of "Maybe, this time he returns ..."
    Learn Mike Tyson style and elements of Peekaboo @ SugarBoxing

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post

That's not entirely true @Ron Swanson,

When Mike was champ first reign, for the most part, he was a beloved character by everyone outside of the ring. He was the epitome of the good guy.

And even AFTER he viciously assaulted his fellow boxer, he always went over to help them up to their feet and into their corner.

There had been FEW more gentlemanly men in the sport than Tyson UNTIL the Given's saga unfolded and he went off the rails.

And today, after boxing, Mike is once again a good guy.
    That's 100% true, watch old documentaries. He was popular among young people, but hated by old generation.
    Learn Mike Tyson style and elements of Peekaboo @ SugarBoxing

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It's simple, Tyson Entertained and was dynamite from the opening bell and 90% of the time you knew you were gonna see a KO.

Pair him up with Don King and you had pure Showbiz, he was a throw back fighter and went against the grain of the fighters who were around at that time (mainly boxer types).

I remember as a 10-11 year old first seeing/hearing of Tyson (i was already a boxing fan and aware of other fighters due to having a boxing fan of an older brother) and i was like WOW who the fuck is this guy bashing everyone up and speaking like a girl.

Basically Tyson stood out like a sore thumb and made EVERYONE in the world take notice.

For those members not old enough to remember a Prime Tyson he was HUGE, a Phenomenon and probably the most recognizable person on the Planet for a few years.

EVERYONE knew who Mike Tyson was.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Can't add any more than Smash said

Young, vicious and invincible (for a time) - someone who dominates and is apparently invincible brings the casual fan on board

Will never forget the shock I got got up early to check teletext in 1990 - 'Tyson Knockout Sensation'

Good times in boxing
    Last edited by Mark TKO; 01-23-2015 at 05:37 PM.
    Don't bully fat kids - they've got enough on their plate

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This is a joke thread right?

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mark TKO View Post
    Can't add any more than Smash said

Young, vicious and invincible (for a time) - someone who dominates and is apparently invincible brings the casual fan on board

Will never forget the shock I got got up early to check telext in 1990 - 'Tyson Knockout Sensation'

Good times in boxing

Teletext

hahaha i remember my mum letting me stay awake till 3/4/5am to listen to Tyson v Bruno on the radio

I'd put him up there with Michael Jackson in terms of fame for a good few years.

He was everywhere in the late 80's

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It must have been his haircut and the way he dressed, he was a very dapper man.
    David Lemieux = Future MW Champ and P4P King

Thread Information